Forums » News and Announcements

List of newest posts

• September 12, 2017 5:17 PM CDT
    • I'm sad reading your post.  Although I haven't faced your situation in the grooming world...I faced it in a different line of work:

Sometimes I was frustrated and had to "hold my tongue" & sometimes I was SO RELIEVED for not having to deal with the problem!

Any chance you could groom from home, picking the "cream of the crop" and charging a premium for "private grooming"?  I groom from home and VERY VERY RARELY experience any anxiety...and when I do, I fire the client.

• September 11, 2017 8:53 PM CDT
    • It really depends on you. Are you able to give up control? Are you able to do things as someone else wants and not how you would do it?  Can you sit back and let someone else do things that you may not agree with or may think your way is better?

I have my own salon that I work Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I work at a clinic. I'm mostly in charge of what I do, but occasionally I do have to do something different per the clinic owner.  On Saturdays, I work at a private salon.  I have to bite my tongue often. Not because they do things wrong, just different and I think my way would be better. :)  BUT it's not my place. I am an employee. My job is to do as I'm told, to do things the way they want them done, plain and simple.  It can be very difficult. If you are able to separate yourself, and always remember that you work for them, it's not bad. 

Are there specific areas that you are having problems with in your shop?  Maybe we can come up with ideas to push you through them and remember why you liked being your own boss.

Barb

• September 11, 2017 5:28 PM CDT
    • I am hoping to get much-needed advice from a grooming salon owner. I have been in business for 12 years. My business has remained consistently busy through the years and I have amazing clients. I have tried through the years to get reliable employees with no luck.I am in a state of burn out and ready to throw in the towel. I have worked many years to get where I am, but I no longer can keep up. I am contemplating working for someone else and closing my shop. Has anyone else done this and if so what were the results? I have had another business owner tell me how difficult it is to work for someone else once you have had your own salon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• October 12, 2016 12:15 PM CDT
    • Thanks Barb !!!!   I'll post up some pictures of MoJo soon    :D

• October 11, 2016 8:41 PM CDT
    • Welcome back!

Congratulations on your new boy!

Things are a bit quieter around here, but occasionally some of the original crew make a visit.

I looke forward to getting to know MoJo. :)

Barb

(progroom)

• October 11, 2016 2:00 PM CDT
    • HI !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikey is Back .... He's just a pet owner, but LOVED the old lounge and the 'Pet Owners Ask The Groomers' thread.

I joined back in 2005, looking for advice, assistance and help with how to groom my Pyreenes 'Joey'

There were SO MANY groomers here that provided me with such great advice and assistance.  I did then, and do today, GREATLY APPRECIATE the time and knowledge they all shared with me.

Joey passed away in 2012, and I dropped off the fourm.  We knew we'd get another pet, it was only a matter of time.  So about 3 months ago we got a Bouvier, 'MoJo'.....  He's WONDERFUL !!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a couple of links going back to when I was getting ready to give Joey her frist home bath:

http://www.groomers.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=91&post=223652#POST223652

http://www.groomers.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=91&post=223721#POST223721

http://www.groomers.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=91&post=223722#POST223722

I now will be using the tools and experiences that I gained with Joey with MoJo

I'll be posting up some pictures of him soon.

I'm Happy to be back !!!!!!!

Hope some of my old friends are still around !!

• February 5, 2016 9:32 PM CST
    • Yay!

Welcome back!

Barb

• February 5, 2016 8:30 PM CST
    • She is baaaaaack.......
      Contemplating re entering the grooming field. I needed a GL fix.

• November 25, 2015 7:31 AM CST
    • I haven't seen her in years. She may have registered when I switched message boards, but I don't remember her posting.

Barb

• November 24, 2015 12:21 PM CST
    • Is YlleK still on here?

• July 10, 2015 10:42 PM CDT
    • It's actually much easier to use than the old board. Though I will agree, I did like that one alot. Unfortunately that software is no longer available. I was running 10,000 pages on it. It was at it's limit.

When you go to the main message board page, you will see a running list of all current threads. You can click on them there if you'd like. Or if you scroll up just a bit, in the top menu is Forum Topics.  There you will see everything nicely organized by Topic area.

On this new board, you only have to sign in once, not with each post.  

Welcome back

Barb

• July 10, 2015 8:08 PM CDT
    • I had been a member since maybe 2000??? When the message board was changed I just gave up! I have decided to try again?...I still don't like the layout, I find it very difficult to navigate and post to....the only thing I recognize are the roses......

• May 12, 2015 9:42 PM CDT
    • Ooooh, I like this forum. Thanks for bringing it into existance!

Sharon

• May 11, 2014 9:39 PM CDT
    • Welcome to the GL!

Barb

• May 11, 2014 9:52 AM CDT
    • Yes! I'm finally here! All I need to do is add a picture. Windows 8 is harder to work forme but I'll figure it out. But I'm here. I'm a mobile groomer and hope to be able to touch base with others.

• March 30, 2015 10:52 AM CDT
    • I had bought some chunkers from someone else (I called them Clunkers- which tells you what I thought about them!) well, they never ever worked properly and even though I am in Canada I decided, after reading things on the this board, to send them and other things to Jeff.  I have had them sharpened at least twice but they never worked properly.  Got them back last week and Wow! now I know why people like these things.  REally worth the extra shipping expense and wait time to go to Jeff - Thanks Jeff.  Pat - Ladysmith Dog Grooming.

• March 27, 2015 2:32 PM CDT
    • I don't have the chunkers specifically but I just got a 3 piece set for christmas and these are some great shears for the cost. I would definately recommend! 

• February 18, 2015 9:02 AM CST
    • I won a pair of chunkers from Jeff at Northern Tail and they just arrived yesterday. They are really nice! They cut so well. It doesn't even compare to how my regular thinners cut. When he said they are like two razors, it is so true. They are beautiful solid-feeling and feel well balanced and comfortable in my hand. I chose the small size as I thought they'd be better for working on my Shih Tzu than the large ones.

They came in a really nice protective case with instructions on care. Jeff even threw in a diamond carbide dremel bit for nails.

http://www.ntforsale.com/

Thank you Jeff and Groomer's Lounge for sponsoring the contest!

Lisa

• August 27, 2014 6:21 PM CDT
    • Please take a few minutes to vote for the Barkleigh Honors Awards. If you vote for the GL, I'd be very very happy. ;)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G2KMTKM

Barb

• August 18, 2014 9:30 PM CDT
    • Exciting news!!!
      The Groomers Lounge has been nominated for the Barkleigh Honors Website/Facebook Page of the Year.
      A huge thank you to all that nominated us!

• February 9, 2014 4:58 PM CST
    • Groomer Strong

• February 9, 2014 4:57 PM CST
    • Get all your GL logo items here

http://www.cafepress.com/groomers

• July 10, 2013 2:10 PM CDT
    • Sorry furpawslcg. The drawing is already done. Freestep won the chunkers.

Barb

• July 10, 2013 1:51 PM CDT
    • Good luck everyone! I hope I win though because I really need a pair of Chunkers...  :-)

• July 10, 2013 1:50 PM CDT
    • Good luck everyone!!!!!!  I hope I win though because I so need a pair of these Chunkers  :-)

Lynn