Forums » Education

List of newest posts

• August 3, 2016 1:39 PM CDT
    • In most states only a licensed Veterinarian or a tech working under a Veterinarian can do teeth cleaning.

Barb

• August 3, 2016 10:38 AM CDT
    • Is there any training for removing tartar from dogs teeth? I want to offer this but not sure if I should have a certificate to back myself.

• March 27, 2015 2:26 PM CDT
    • Thanks for the input. So as it stands I think I'm leaning so far I just might fall! (LOL) ISCC, I think you're the one.

• March 26, 2015 9:55 PM CDT
    • I'm certified with NDGAA and it's definitely pet grooming certification, which I'm not knocking, but it wasn't very challenging. ISCC is very challenging from what I've heard.

Barb

• March 26, 2015 7:20 PM CDT
    • I received my certifications through both NDGAA and later, IPG. Can honestly say I was pretty disenchanted with the testing procedure for both of those groups and felt it a waste of money and time. I opted to just cancel membership with IPG after getting certified. I've heard better things about ISCC, however. At this point, I'm generally very leery of certification testing in general. Not trying to be discouraging, just sharing my own experiences with the process.

• March 25, 2015 9:47 PM CDT
    • ISCC is probably the best and most thorough certification.  It covers a lot of areas that the others do not. I have great respect for anyone going through their certification process.

Barb

• March 25, 2015 4:18 PM CDT
    • I have been looking at different programs to get my certification for pet grooming. I called and talked with Pam Lauritzan today about going through  ISCC, which I have completed seminars for continuing education with and I think I'm leaning this way as the way to go. Anyone else complete their certification this way and any advice? So far it seems like they have a great support system set up to help you succeed. 

• January 14, 2015 3:47 PM CST
    • I certified through NDGAA. I am certified in Terriers and Non Sporting groups. I never had got around to finishing it. :)

I am glad I did it. I don't honestly know if it's been a big boom to my business, but I do think if someone is comparing groomers, having my certifications could very likely have them pick me over another.

I think certification is a great thing. I don't think someone that isn't certified is any less than me. I did it for myself really. I was feeling in a bit of a rut and wanted to expand myself a bit. I believe it's a great opportunity to learn and tweak your grooming.

Barb

• January 14, 2015 3:30 PM CST
    • I am very interested in going through the Internation Pet Groomers Inc. (IPG) to see about being certified for the new Salon and Pet Groomer certifications and was wondering if other groomers are familiar with it. It looks and sound great for someone like me who can't afford to get my CMG through someone likethe  NDGA, but would like some type of certification to show clients and perspective employers I know what I'm doing. I apprenticed and did not attend grooming school. I have looked into Paragon, but it's not in the budget and I can't leave my family for 4-6 weeks to go for the practical exams. Has anyone else recieved a certification through the IPG, and how was your experience? Thanks!

• December 23, 2014 5:41 PM CST
    • I just wanted to add that you WiLL get there, but even after 25 years, sometimes you get something new, either a person or a dog that you have to figure out.

If a dog is having trouble accepting something, I often go to something else, If they dont like their tail touched, I do some other things, work on it a little, then do something else. this goes for every thing that upsets a dog.

No sense wrestling with dogs, i dont' do it, and wont' do it.  I am the more intellegent creature, and should be able to outsmart a dog!  

If you want practice without pressure, volunteer at a shelter.  

Get a mentor that will let you PHONE them.  If you have a problem there is NOTHING like phoning someone to talk it out right then and there,

there are a lot of little tips that no one can think to tell you on here, but things like covering the dogs head with a draped towel while you do it's nails is similar to Barbs muzzle idea.  

Putting the grooming loop around the waist, or under one arm and then around the neck, doing the nails in different areas, like the tub, sometimes will make a dog more cooperative.

I have had REALLY horrible dogs that I can do one foot in the tub,  one while being dried, etc., they are not so upset if you do a little at a time. Also if the dryer is blowing in them while you are clipping it often calms them down.

Singing, making meow noises, there is a lot you can do, but you should find someone you can call if you need help.

• December 21, 2014 12:59 PM CST
    • I so enjoy hearing from you barb,

Yes I do work at a clinic ,and I do get a lot of problem doggies that are banned elsewhere. I'm glad to knowing not the only one who agrees that you don't need to make the nails BLEED  in order to get them trimmed. Ugh lol the techs always act like getting them as short as humanly possible is the only way to go. The dogs react so much better when they aren't scared of getting kwiked.

I always feel so supported on here :) 

• December 20, 2014 5:22 PM CST
    • Merry Christmas to you too :)

You're welcome.

Some dogs just do not behave well enough for a perfect groom or nail trim. Do I remember you work in a Vet clinic? If so, you likely have some of the not so great dogs that have been recommended for Vet grooming rather than salon grooming.

With some dogs, you can turn them around. Calm is the key. Remain calm. Take a deep breathe, and calmly do what needs done when it's safe to do it.  They get their energy from us.  It's HARD! I know it. It gets so frustrating, but I find if I can zone out, ignoring the behavior, they do tend to relax a bit.

If it's safe to do so, as in the dog is not going to injure itself, you can try to be a bit more stubborn. For example, the dog doesn't want his face held. I will gently hold onto the beard and let them struggle a minute or two. Most of them figure out that if they just stop and hold still, it's not uncomfortable. If the dog is facing you and you want to hold a front foot up, when they pull, kind of push back into them ever so slightly. Try not to let go (unless of course you think the dog will injure itself in the struggle). The moment they stop struggling, I give a calm "good dog" and stop what I was doing. This rewards their good behavior.

I will often muzzle a dog that struggles a lot. It does two things. It gives them something to think about and it is one more thing I don't have to worry about. I can go about my business and not be concerned with getting bit.

For hard cases, don't be afraid to get authorization for sedation. I don't mean a light tranquilizer, I mean full asleep sedation. A light sedation will give you a mean, unpredictable drunk. That is not safe for you or the dog. A full sedation means you can get in there, shave the dog, and be done. No stress or trauma for you or them. They wake up with a hair cut without injury or stress.

I too would rather leave a longer nail that to cut too short on a dog that doesn't like it done to begin with.  It will only reinforce his dislike for it. Yeah some owners don't like it, but that's on them, not me. I can only do so much.  They are more than welcome to do it themselves if they want it shorter. What? He doesn't let you do his nails at home? Well, he's no better for me. :) :) :)

Barb

• December 20, 2014 4:35 PM CST
    • Omg barb, thank you :) 

I do want this so badly I honestly spend everyday off researching, reading blogs, watching videos. I'm really trying to improve I think I have by leaps and bounds, I'm saving up for a good dryer...it really does make 100% of a difference. That's a huge improvement right there both groomers be for me just fan dried. But I know I'm still the newbie , and I lack confidence so bad....my co-worker will gush over a groom...and I'm just like...yeah but this and that and Idk if it's right lol!!!! 

I need to clip nails better, I need to file them really, I'm very cautious and I can get a great trim on the dogs that are used to grooming, but the crazy buck wild kicking broncho dogs I just get off what I can...is there a trick? Are you just supposed to pin/force the dogs? I don't want to cause injury...I'd rather leave a bit of nail on than kiwk them. 

Also I think everyone sees me as the kid...I need to be more grown up! :P I am going to do a learntogroom subscription for the new year, I live in wisconsin, I am just going to make this new year my year of being coming a great groomer :P

Barb merry Christmas to you, and a special final thank you for all your support :) 

• December 20, 2014 4:06 PM CST
    • You are going to be an amazing groomer some day. Why? Because you want to be so badly. You want to improve. That is great!

What area of the country do you live in?  There are seminars, trade shows, and contests close to just about anywhere. Those are great places to start.  Learning 2 Groom is a subscription based online learning program to improve when you have the basic skills, which you do.

Many of the top competition groomers hold small work shops and will also do private lessons.

Barb

• December 20, 2014 2:49 PM CST
    • Hey all, 

It's been just about 7 months now, working my best, doing 12 doggies a week. I just feel like although I now have finished and passed my online certs. (Got two pretty pieces of paper to prove it lol). I still need soooooo much improvement, education,training. And I still have about zero confidence. The confidence thing is getting to me..... I just ugh, I'm so incredibly careful with dogs I'm not nervous with the dogs or anything.. if st cause careful....I usually don't have much problem with anything except trimming nails still intimidates me sometimes.. anyways I just feel like I'm not as good as I should be?! I need more training and such. How did you all go about getting trained and improving ?! Is there any good resources out there for becoming a great groomer?