Forums » General Groomers Chat

List of newest posts

• March 11, 2017 4:10 PM CST
    • Yes, the dryers are definitely loud. I have ear plugs, though I will admit I more often forget to use them then actually use them. I do use the Happy Hoodie on many of the dogs that seem to be a little bothered by the noise.

I hadn't thought about force free being force dryer. lol  I could have been thinking wrong too. :)

Barb

• March 11, 2017 3:35 PM CST
    • Sorry Barb,

For some reason I only saw the first half of your reply.

I do have a dryer that you can dial the force of the air but still it is very loud. I have also tried putting it in an insulated box but still they are pretty loud.

Funny, I never thought about "force free" as being about forcing a dog to do something!:  ) Maybe that's what I was reading! Maybe I will have to start this revolution myself!  :  )

Thanks!

• March 11, 2017 3:30 PM CST
    • I wasn't debating at all, nor was I trying to change your opinion.  You asked if there were new techniques and I suggested the adjustable dryers because it can be used with a very gentle flow.  I also did say that I had not heard the term force free being used in relation to drying, but only to handling.

Barb

• March 11, 2017 3:15 PM CST
    • Introduced and used properly, I don't think they detrimental to the dogs. I have seen people hold them way far away from the dog so it's like the poor thing is in a wind tunnel or not paying attention to where it's blowing on their face and ears. I always keep it close to the skin to control where the air is flowing. I never blast them in the face either. Again I keep it close to the skin, keeping the air flow away from the eyes and nose and I always hold the ears closed.

When I hear force free grooming, I think of it in the ways of handling the dog, not the dryer. That doesn't mean it's not about dryers. I just never looked at it that way. :)

There are dryers on the market that are adjustable speed with a dial. You can keep it down low and with no adaptor on the hose for a very light flow of air, or turn it up and put an end on for more power.

Barb

• March 11, 2017 3:08 PM CST
    • Hi, I have been grooming for 52 years and have always disliked force dryers since the day they came out. They are great for the clip but not so great for the dog. I reluctently use them for dogs that don't seem to be scared but use cage dryers (with timers) for the rest. And I really hate the noise. I have been hearing lately about Force Free Grooming and wonder if there are some new techniques I should know about. Andone have information about this? Thanks!

• April 2, 2015 3:39 PM CDT
    • This year marks 30 years for me. I'm not semi retired though. I'm still putting in 6 days a week. They are not full days though. I tend to be finished for the day by about 2 in the afternoon, so it's not quite full time.

I do love grooming too. I am much easier on myself than I as in the early days.  I realized pretty early on that if I was going to last through retirement in this industry, I needed to care for myself first. I think each year I do better at that. In general, I don't fight and struggle with badly behaved dogs any more. I've learned that I don't have to groom them all. There is not a single dog out there worth hurting myself in trying to be super groomer.

Barb

• April 2, 2015 2:19 PM CDT
    • I have been in the industry 25 years and now only work 1 2 days a week cause I love groomin and that extra income. Would love to hear from other semi retired groomers concerns. Also so many things have changed over the years think this would b a great place to help the younger groomers preserve the integrity and some common solutions that come frm the good old days.

• April 2, 2014 8:29 PM CDT
    • I'm not a Havanese fan, and I don't think I've ever done or even seen a "Havashire".  I'm assuming it's a hav/yorkie cross.  That doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me, but I'm glad that they're enjoyable for you!  

• April 2, 2014 9:17 AM CDT
    • Haha Wizard!  That's my experience too.  I do about a dozen of them.  For all but one, I'd be fine if their owners lost my phone number...  They seem to be the new "fad" breed for people who want Shih Tzu without a short face... unfortunately, the coats are higher maintenance and the temperament is FAR from sweet little Tzus.  I feel as if they're kinda in the Doodle class... The dogs may vary a bit but they all have the same owner ;)

• April 1, 2014 6:58 AM CDT
    • I've always found it fascinating how breeds differ throughout the country.

I really like schnauzers. Most of them are very good, with just a tiny bit of terrier attitude. It's enough to give them personality, but not enough to make them difficult grooms.

I know someone who says most of their schnauzers are biting and neurotic.  She loves the Goldens she grooms. Ugh, I never look forward to doing a Golden.

Barb

• March 31, 2014 8:59 PM CDT
    • I'm with Barb. I haven't done many, but the few that I've done were not exactly easy to groom, with nightmare coats and owners that just didn't "get" that their 'rare breed' dog needed to be groomed much more than 'rarely'. :-P

• March 30, 2014 4:29 PM CDT
    • Do you have any pictures? I would love to see some

Matisse

• March 30, 2014 10:50 AM CDT
    • But the coats do mat very easily.

• March 30, 2014 10:49 AM CDT
    • I have 2 that I groom and they are nice dogs.

• March 28, 2014 6:53 PM CDT
    • All four of mine have come in as puppies.  They stand well, and are'nt shaking or nervous.  They all seem to care less about nail trimming or handling front legs and feet.  I am very pleased!  Plus their owners are awesome and always pre-book 4-6 weeks out.  Most want them fairly short too, so that helps

• March 28, 2014 6:17 PM CDT
    • You must have better breeders than we do. ;)

I have not really cared much for any that I have groomed.  Their coats were difficult and temperaments were not so great.  

Barb

• March 28, 2014 5:51 PM CDT
    • Groomed my fourth Havanese and or Havashire this year.  I am loving this breed!  Anyone else?  A dream to groom.  I amm very impressed with the breeders in this area.  So healthy, with wonderful personalites, and seem to have no health issues.