Forums » Misc Breed Styles

List of newest posts

• September 6, 2016 6:53 AM CDT
    • I have been very lucky in that I do not have any regular doodle clients on my schedule other than an Aussiedoodle that must be sedated and is shaved down a couple times a year. I don't blame the owners. It is the breeders that give so much misinformation to them.  It can be really frustrating.

Barb

• September 6, 2016 5:02 AM CDT
    • I am having more and more issues with " Doodle Breeders" had one and Saturday inform me " Groomers don't know the difference between a Goldendoodle , Labradoodle, Aussiedoodle " like they are pure bred or something! Have any of you had 4 of any of the 3 come in with the same exact coat type, size, or even temperament ! I know we haven't and the health problems are outrageous for a mix! Oh and according to this Breeder " Groomers don't know how to groom them properly"

• September 20, 2014 7:14 AM CDT
    • I shave a lot of dogs of every breed type.
      Are they hotter or cooler? I figure at 90 degrees they are going to be hot no matter how much length they have to their coat. It's summer. It's hot.
      I believe a matted coat will make them hotter. It inhibits air flow to the skin.

I think some people who are die hard no shavers somehow make it sound like the hair is like an air conditioner. ;)

Sure it protects against sunburn. I totally agree with that. I don't believe it actually makes the dog cool to have all the hair.

I have also, in almost 30 years of grooming, only had a small number of dogs not grow back correctly. Those were dogs will medical issues and those I did not thoroughly brush after shaving.

One was a sheltie mix. I shaved him every 8 weeks for over 10 years. He was a crazy dog. I could get him out of a kennel with no resistance only one time during an appt. After that he would growl and bark and lunge at the front if I tried again. He was not great for the shave either so I did it quickly pre bath and then called him done.
      I noticed at one appt some odd regrowth. I made a note to make sure I took the time to give him a good brushing after the clipping. His coat always grew back normally from then on.

Another was a chow. Oh Smoky is a very nasty aggressive dog. A nasty aggressive dog who has built up a resistance to the sedation. He wakes up FAST and I have a very limited amount of time. He does not always get brushed well. I can always tell when I didn't do it the last grooming because he comes in with patchy regrowth.

If an owner wants their dog shaved, we discuss a few things, one being why. They will still shed. They will still be hot, those kinds of things. If they still want it done, I have no problem doing it. I have shaved beagles and labs on up to chows and shepherds.

Barb

• September 18, 2014 3:11 PM CDT
    • I've read so much about the coat insulating from the heat. It doesn't show how much heat it insulate s from though. It just says heat. I want to know how long it takes until the coat doesn't insulate from heat anymore and does it insulate the dog if its 95 or 100 out. Would it insulate just from the suns rays or both outside temp and the rays from the sun. 

• June 23, 2014 7:18 PM CDT
    • I tried to rate this artical a five...but I clicked the two on accident ... SORRYS :( Anyways great articals everyone! I must add we had a chow chow in for a rescue and she was matted and grown out terribly...she would just lay there misserable in her kennel I thought infact that she was an old lady! Once she was shaved she leaped around and played just like a puppy.. she was SO happy to not have that idk 5 pounds of hair to lug around.. And it made all the differance. I dont think she missed having that extra fur one bit! 

• July 20, 2012 3:18 PM CDT
    • Thanks, DCDogs! Here's another article, which has a lot of detail.

http://www.theunion.com/article/20110603/NEWS/110609950

I had a corgie owner ask me to shave his dog a couple weeks ago. I was so annoyed that I couldn't remember where I'd read this information which not only describes exactly why it's bad to shave a double-coated dog in the Summer, but also explains that it screws up your dog's coat for the Winter too. I told him I'd just shave off the black top-coat, and he was okay with that, but I know he really wanted it shorter. I so wished I had a printout of this article to hand him. I will next time. The undercoat was yellow, so it was really funny to turn that dog's coloring from black to yellow, just by clipping it. It looked so weird to me when I was done because that thick mane around his neck was gone. Well, maybe that alone will make him a little cooler, but I was glad I stuck to my guns about not shaving the undercoat.

• July 20, 2012 2:20 PM CDT
    • In my "in box" this morning....Excellent article explained by Dr. Louise Murray, Vice President of ASPCA Bergh Memorial Hospital.

http://blog.aspca.org/content/heat-wave-should-you-shave-your-pet

Just something to think about folks!Smile

• June 1, 2012 8:10 PM CDT
    • That would assume that the heat is only coming from the sun's rays. If you are in the shade and it's 105f, the sun isn't heating the length of hair up, it's just ambient heat. Working dog in the sun, maybe... average dog running in a yard, no.

I base my opinion on seeing dogs over many years. Miserable under a double coat, no matter how well maintained. Happier and cooler without the double coat.

Shaving short coated breeds is a pain and has no real benefit, but some people prefer they shed shorter hairs out I guess. I'd rather have a little longer hairs being shed and not have sharp cut hairs to get in my feet.

• June 1, 2012 12:24 PM CDT
    • Here's an old link from the archived board.

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/hairlength.htm

What's missing from this article is how you determine the optimal value of "C". If you follow Newton's formula exactly, then the longer the hair the cooler the dog. In other words, a dog with six inches of hair is going to be so much more comfortable than a dog with four inches of hair, which I find hard to believe. I understand the concept that the sun's heat travels up the length of the hair, and the longer the trip, the more it cools by the time it gets to the dog's skin. But I would think there's a point of diminishing returns where the heat has dissipated enough at a certain length. I'd just like to know what that length is. It's too bad we can't ask the dog. Smile

• May 31, 2012 10:14 PM CDT
    • One word, marketing. Done by people who are breeding animals when they have no knowledge of basic physiology much less the finer points of the specific "breed" they are producing

• May 31, 2012 6:52 PM CDT
    • Ok, I hate to see a dog like a Chow or a Samoyed or a GSD shaved.  That being said, I have a wonderful beast in the kennel now that's a Shepherd mix, and he has short hair.  WHY shave that dog???  Anyway, I've agreed to do it, even tho I see no reason for it.  They'll have it done whether I do it or not (this wouldn't be the first time they had him shaved), I could use the extra $$, and I know that if I do it I won't JUST get the practice, I know he'll be in loving hands.  I just don't understand why shave a short haired breed.  Enlighten me?  Oh, and I'm in SE Arizona...

As soon as I get a pic of him, I'll be asking for advice on what blade/comb to use.....

• May 31, 2012 6:40 PM CDT
    • An article with a different point of view.

http://itsthedogslife.com/2011/05/shaving-your-dog-for-summer/

• May 31, 2012 6:17 PM CDT
    • My advice would be to go at least down to an inch(perhaps a #3 or 4) to get to where the dog will be cooler.  If the coat is thin, you could leave it longer and still have the dog be cool.

Warning: Rant ahead.

Sorry, I don't buy that "hair insulates them from the heat" story. I never have, and I never will without some evidence. All the dogs I've shaved in the summer(for Florida) were MORE comfortable, more active, and acted less hot than before when they had the full coat(whether the coat was clean and well brushed or not). This has been true for all types of coat, including doodles and nordic breeds.

If the dog needs insulation from the heat... why aren't we putting coats on the dogs without heavy fur for summer? If the dog's internal temp is 101f... and the outside temp is 95f... how is putting a layer of insulation going to make the dog cooler? The dog's own warmth is trapped under that fur.

Dogs are mammals. They may not sweat like humans, but the internal heat is still building up under the fur... the heat from outside only adds to that.

A coat of fur can protect the dog from SUN... i.e. prevent sunburns(if it's shaved down extremely short), or help keep the sun's rays from heating the dog more. But unless you're in a place where the sun makes it way hotter than the ambient temps(i.e. desert or beach style conditions), I don't think sun is going to make the dog hotter than the ambient temps already do.

• May 31, 2012 1:31 PM CDT
    • I've had a couple golden doodle owners argue with me over hair length because they've read that long hair insulates their dog from the heat. I understand you don't want to shave a Nordic breed, but since a doodle is a cross between a shedding dog and a low-shedding dog, what's the deal? My last doodle owner brought me her dog with about three inches of hair (not matted) and asked me to just trim it a little because she wanted the hair for insulation from the heat. I showed her a Wahl #E comb and told her that was the longest I could groom her dog. She looked at me like I was insane. (I wasn't about to hand-scissor a 60-lb dog.) Fortunately, her husband stepped in and said that would be fine. I told her the dog would look very plush and fluffy, which he did, and the wife was fine with it at pick-up. So, how much hair length does a doodle need for insulation from the heat? Is a doodle groomed with a #0 comb really going to feel hotter than one with a couple inches of hair? Or do you have to go as short as a #7 smoothie before he/she is really uncomfortable? I just don't know what I should have told her.

• May 18, 2014 9:56 PM CDT
    • Oh I missed this!

Please tell us how it went.

They sure are mixing those poodles with just about anything now.  We groom a St.Barnard X Poodle. She is huge and her coat is awful.

Barb

• May 12, 2014 2:29 PM CDT
    • I Newfie-Poo?? Oh my! That sounds like it could be a lot of work. Share before and afters! I'd love to see what they look like. And I'm sure you will do fine. :)

• May 7, 2014 8:32 AM CDT
    • I have a new client with two Newfie-poos tomorrow. I have a few photos of them. Wondering if anyone has experience with one?

One is 70lbs and the other 90. Hope I am not overwhelmed!

• January 10, 2013 9:50 PM CST
    • It's called a portfolio in these here parts :).  Me, I'll do anything behind a camera, or in front of a camera, EXCEPT push the button.  Always seem to get a picture of my thumb.  It's a smart idea to do photos of dogs tht you are particularly proud of, makeovers, specialty breeds or styles, whatever floats your boat.  People love to see pix of their precious furkids, and it helps with visualizing how a new client's dog could look when you're finished, especially with the "Don't make my (poodle) look like a poodle" crowd.  Now, if I can just figure out how to get that thumb thing resolved.....

• May 16, 2012 1:02 PM CDT
    • So the big day. I received the Dog Grooming Guide, shipped from Hong Kong. As far as I can tell, it is a directory of dog groomers in Hong Kong. Each groomer has 1 or 2 pages with several photos of a dog he/she has groomed. Only the dogs are shown, not the groomer or the salon. There is an email for each groomer. Probably also an address and other information, but it's in Chinese.

There is also a small diagram of the dog's breed, labeled "Styling Data," with numbers next to each part of the body. Blade lengths in millimeters, perhaps.

What's interesting to me is that some of the dogs are groomed in a way that makes them look almost shaggy. They're in the "cute" Asian-style cut, but aren't perfectly smooth. Maybe they weren't line-brushed, because curls can be seen.

No grooming instructions, but there are 2 pages of photos demonstrating a massage on a lucky Hong Kong dog.

This is Vol. 4.

It reminds me of the photo books in hair salons. You know, the ones you look through while you are waiting so you can pick your style. Clever idea. I think it would make life alot easier for groomers in the U.S. if we had photo books. 

• May 9, 2012 7:00 AM CDT
    • It takes several weeks. I just received notice that the manual has been shipped.

• May 8, 2012 11:19 PM CDT
    • Have you gotten your manual yet?

• April 28, 2012 7:59 PM CDT
    • Yes, please

• April 28, 2012 5:19 PM CDT
    • Definitely would like to hear your review when you get it.  Might have to order one for myself!

• April 28, 2012 4:11 PM CDT
    • Show pics when you do get the dog and owner. I want to learn Japaneses style I love it.

• April 28, 2012 2:31 PM CDT
    • Excited! I just ordered a Japanese Dog Grooming Guide. At least I think it's Japanese. It's definitely Asian, ha ha. 

Cute cover. Hope it's got lots of photos.

I found it on a site called yesasia.  I did a search for Japanese Books Magazines, then found this online store. With shipping, it's about $19.

Now I just need a puffy little dog with an adventurous owner.