Forums » Random Thoughts

List of newest posts

• September 20, 2012 4:34 PM CDT
    • I love my rescue boxer.  she was so beaten and starved that we had to trap her after months of tempting with food failed.  SHe is the BEST dog, she loves everyone, and she lays on the floor and puppies run around her barking and posturing and she just lays and rolls her eyes and wags her nub.  She follows me everywhere but she loves anyone, as long as they dont' try to pull her toys out of her mouth, she only wants to show the toys, not have them taken away.  That hurts her feelings.

Great dogs come in all kinds of dog suits.  Mine just happens to be in a boxer suit.   http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/559237_10151059529849178_2106432190_n.jpg

• July 16, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
    • Yes, that is a blessing. My dog is a somewhat underconfident toy, and even she does pretty well around other dogs. If a bigger dog wants to play too rough, she bears her teeth and snaps at them, but she's never actually bitten. She's just communicating, and the other dog usually takes the hint pretty well and backs off. I feel sorry for them when they're puppies because they're desparate to play with her, but at 11 years old she can only handle so much play. But I've noticed she seems to know when another dog is a puppy and is more likely to endulge them than if they're adult age.

• July 15, 2012 7:34 PM CDT
    • Great dogs are the best :-)

• July 15, 2012 6:14 PM CDT
    • I just have to say, I love my dogs. 

I had 2 Standard Poodles stay with me for a few days.  The original plan was to only watch the puppy, but then she asked if I could watch her other as well. I knew the puppy would be just fine.

I thought it might be a bit crazy, but definitely doable. The worst that would happen would be having to play musical dogs in kennels through out their stay.

The first day I didn't have the two adult boys out together. One would be crated in the living room while the other had house time. I wanted to give them a bit to get to know each other. From there, everyone got along just fine. There was no craziness. They all went outside to do their thing, then came in and flopped out on the floor as usual.  Even the nasty little Chihuahua was fine by the 2nd day, as long as they didn't get too close to her. :)

I love that my dogs do good with other dogs staying here now and again.

Barb

• July 13, 2012 12:08 PM CDT
    • I am NOT superstitious but we had a couple things happen today and my husband mentioned that is was Friday the 13th. He needed help loading steers to haul to the sale this morning and I helped him get them sorted and the first load in the trailer. I left to get ready to milk the cow and looked back and saw the trailer was sitting reeeeeally low in the front. I thought to myself the steers must be packed in the front to make it so unlevel. I went out there to put something in his pick up and the trailer had come off the ball & the trailer tongue was on the ground. How did that happen? He has a hitch that has three different ball sizes and he had the smallest one up and it should have been the 2". Now I'm the glass half full side of this relationship, I said WOW, it's lucky this happened before you pulled away. It would have been really bad if it had happened on the highway. Can you imagine wrecking a trailer with a load of cattle? 
      The livestock barn is 30 minutes from here so I called on my way to work to see if he needed me to help load the next group. He didn't since they are sorted and penned in the alleyway. He said that we didn't put the hitch pin back in when we turned the ball hitch over. I don't know what clued  him in that something wasn't right but Thank Goodness he caught it in time.  He said It's Friday the 13th.
      Two screw ups, one his, one mine and both could have ended horribly and didn't. I say that luck was with us not against us.
      After he got all the steers over there he went fishing. I hope his luck holds. I'm wanting to make Catfish Parmesan for my family reunion tomorrow! 

• July 13, 2012 6:11 AM CDT
    • It's Friday the 13th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• July 6, 2012 7:33 AM CDT
    • Pretty much all superstitions are historically based. Even the fear of the number 13, if you must clarify biblical vs. superstition, would be a biblical reference. There were 13 people around the table at the Last Supper and Judas was the 13th member to arrive. Very unlucky for Christ. Also, Christ was crucified on a Friday which makes any Friday the 13th especially unlucky.

• July 5, 2012 9:37 PM CDT
    • DCDogs said:

It's not a silly superstition, it’s biblical. Being afraid of the number 13 is a silly superstition.

Actually, it's historically based. A French king and a pope in 1307 tortured and killed a very large percentage of the Knights Templar on October 13 across the whole of of Europe. Even the black cat thing is historically based, see Spanish Inquisition

• July 5, 2012 4:46 PM CDT
    • Fear of any numbers, or a belief that a number is special or lucky is all superstition, regardless of whys. It doesn't make it less real in a person's mind.

If someone really thinks the number 4 is lucky(my favorite number), then they will notice positive things regarding 4s. The same number of positive things could be happening with the number 5... or 8... but we wouldn't notice them, because we don't have any association with those numbers.

Just like if someone asked you "Look at how many people are wearing red shirts today!"  You might be able to mention that about 40 people walked by in the mall wearing red shirts... but if someone asked you "How many wore green shirts?" you wouldn't have a single clue. You were only noticing red, and green thus fades into background noise.

Human perceptions can affect how we feel, thus how we react, thus affect the actual circumstances. Superstititions are normally a self-fullfilling prophecy.

• July 5, 2012 3:43 PM CDT
    • GroomsAtHome, 440 is a number that has a special meaning to me. Long story so I won't go into detail but I use it whenever I can.Smile

• July 5, 2012 3:04 PM CDT
    • Papsnpaints said:

Are we headed toward the dreaded "politics and/or regilion" debates? I hope not over a simple observation at the grocery store. :) 

No, we won't be headed there. :)

Barb

• July 5, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
    • I had a friend once who owned a grooming and boarding business... her business number was xxx-xxx-1666.  I would have requested another number simply because I wouldn't want the negative (for many) association.  It didn't bother her or her clients...

Will say that I like 4's... the first house I bought had a street address of 420 and my present home is 440.  I think that's cool.

• July 5, 2012 11:49 AM CDT
    • My daughter one time got a her car  plates with 3 6's in a row. She called and sent them back. They said that was fine, alot of people request those numbers.

• July 5, 2012 10:47 AM CDT
    • Are we headed toward the dreaded "politics and/or regilion" debates? I hope not over a simple observation at the grocery store. :) 

• July 5, 2012 5:56 AM CDT
    • "Christian critics described this exclusion as a superstitious act." : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia

• July 5, 2012 5:29 AM CDT
    • It's not a silly superstition, it’s biblical. Being afraid of the number 13 is a silly superstition.

• July 4, 2012 9:15 PM CDT
    • Yep, I'm there with Paps on this one.  A silly superstition will not make me change anything.

• July 4, 2012 8:02 PM CDT
    • I knew that but I'm not very superstitious. I guess if 666 came up constantly/repeatedly it might make me nervous but I probably wouldn't notice it unless someone pointed it out to me.

• July 4, 2012 6:19 PM CDT
    • 666 is the devil's number...some people are very superstitious about this.

• July 4, 2012 3:11 PM CDT
    • Hmmmm........... I'm too apparently too self absorbed to pay attention to such outside factors. Undecided

• July 4, 2012 3:01 PM CDT
    • I do the same thing....NO (3) 6s in my life anywhere! LOL

• July 4, 2012 2:41 PM CDT
    • I didn't like 3s. My whole life, I've disliked 3, and numbers that include 3, and 9 was RIGHT OUT of there. As long as I was in my 30s, bad things kept happening to me. Every time things included a 3, it went bad, poor luck or otherwise.Once I turned 40, it seems to have stopped.

Is it superstition? Absolutely. Her's is probably related to religious superstition. Mine is self-induced. Doesn't hurt anything in the long run though, so I ignore it when I see it or experience it.

• July 4, 2012 11:09 AM CDT
    • The other day I was at the grocery store and witnessed an interesting thing.

The woman's total ended in 666. It was something like $56.66. She grabbed a thing of tic tacs and had the woman ring it in to change the total. She didn't like the 666.  She didn't make a huge deal out of it. Just sort of mentioned she didn't like the 666 in the total and added the tic tacs. Her kids did, asking why and she just kind of ignored them.

I have no opinion really on whether I think it was a good or bad or weird thing she did. I just found it interesting.

My sister was there and mentioned someone she knows that will add things or pump a bit more gas if he doesn't like the numbers for the total.

Barb

• June 4, 2012 9:41 PM CDT
    • admin said:

Now, there is an option for the user to go to Pages they have Liked and request to see it in their newsfeed. If you hover over the Liked tab, you'll see the option to Show In Newsfeed. I don't know if that guarantees it if the page does not choose to pay for the postings.

:)

It's a matter of everyone actually doing it. If they are not seeing the status updates, they won't know they may have to choose to see them......

• May 30, 2012 9:25 PM CDT
    • My guess is gradually. I don't even know what claiming the page is, so I don't know if I ever did it or not. :)

I just made it.....

Barb