Forums General Groomer Health and Safety Handling of Dogs and Cats
  • Topic: front leg pulling

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 17, 2012 11:41 AM CDT
    • front leg pulling

I have had to stop grooming large dogs becasue of back problems.  I will only groom them if they are totally agreeable to the grooming process.   I have a client who got a new golden doodle puppy and she wanted me to groom her.  I thought since she was a puppy I could mold her behaviour nicely.  Every thing has worked well,,even for clipping her nails.  There is just one thing and she is getting big now so it could be a deal breaker if I cannot fix it asap.  She pulls her front legs and jerks them when I try to clip them.  I praise when she is still and have scoldings when she jerks.  I do not let go.  What else can I do?   

• October 17, 2012 3:53 PM CDT
    • front leg pulling

Is there any way to do the majority of the leg work with her standing? Then slowly work into holding the foot again? Often the problem comes when they just can't grasp that if they hold still, it's not uncomfortable. It turns into this cycle of 'I think it's gonna hurt' so they pull, which causes you to hold tighter which does hurt, or them to put themselves in weird positions, which in turn hurts. It all reinforces the initial 'it's gonna hurt' thoughts.

Maybe if you can keep the holding to a bare minimum for a few appointments, then work it back in very slowly, it will stop that cycle?

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• October 18, 2012 8:24 PM CDT
    • front leg pulling

I have a shih tzu/poodle that I've been doing for nearly 6 yrs. His front legs are turned out and he FREAKS when you try to work on them (as well as some other things but the front legs are the worst) I found I had to muzzle him from the start of grooming to the end, except for in the tub ( I can do anything to him in there with little to no problems) When I do have to work on his front legs I hold them very VERY gently, basically his paw is just sitting in my hand, and he's pretty calm about it. This keeps him the calmest that I've found so it's a good possibility that holding his leg does actually hurt him, however, even after all these years he has barely settled down for grooming those legs!

• October 19, 2012 4:38 PM CDT
    • front leg pulling

Chico must have known I was talking about him in here yesterday, he was in for grooming today and chowed down on me a couple of times before I could get the muzzle on him! He hasn't been that cranky in quite awhile!

• October 20, 2012 11:38 AM CDT
    • front leg pulling

Here's how I train pups to hold their leg still for me.  It takes a while, maybe 3-4 sessions before they get it (and I have to add that some NEVER get it).  It takes time and patience but will pay off in the long run.

First, I pick up the foot and hold gently for a couple seconds, then set it back down.

Gradually, I increase the time that I hold the foot, without doing anything to it.  If the pup starts to struggle and pull the leg back, I hold just a little bit more firmly.  No scolding or talking to the pup at this point.  Eventually, the pup will stop struggling, at least for a moment to catch his breath, and at the moment the leg relaxes, I let go.  Soon I will increase the amount of time the pup's foot must stay relaxed before letting go; I try to count to three.

This teaches the pup that struggling only makes me hold the foot more firmly, and that relaxing makes me let go. Once this is established, I can start clipping nails, scissoring the foot or whatever I need to do.  Of course this will probably cause the pup to struggle again, but I just repeat the process.  Hold firm until the pulling stops, count to three, then let go.  Yes, it can be tedious and time-consuming, but we're aiming for the long run here.

After a few sessions, the pup should understand what is expected of him.  If he continues being bratty into the 4th-5th session (he will probably be an adolescent or adult by then) I will discourage pulling by snapping my teeth.  It's amazing how this simple act will put most dogs into a submissive state.  You just get your face close to his face, show all your teeth and click them together.  You don't need to make a sound, the pup understands what this means--"You'd better behave!"  Usually it is followed by face-licking and an "I'm sorry" attitude.  Praise of course when the pup holds his leg still.

For those dogs that just NEVER get it, pushing the leg backward when he pulls backward will activate the opposition reflex and cause him to move his foot forward.

• October 21, 2012 1:59 PM CDT
    • front leg pulling

LoriStOnge said:

Chico must have known I was talking about him in here yesterday, he was in for grooming today and chowed down on me a couple of times before I could get the muzzle on him! He hasn't been that cranky in quite awhile!

Oh no!!!

I hope he didn't get you too badly!

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• March 14, 2013 2:37 PM CDT
    • front leg pulling

You're doing the client somewhat of a favor by taking on her large dog, right? Why not ask the client to work on this behavior issue at home so that the dog is prepared to handle it when they come in to see you?

• March 17, 2013 4:43 PM CDT
    • front leg pulling

I ALWAYS tell people what to work on with puppies and how to work on it. for example I tell them; Pet the dogs feet while he is relaxing, teach him to shake hands (that really does help a lot) etc.

For the ones that really pull I try to get them to lay down.  If they lay down, you would be surprised at how much you can do and they dont' pull.  Trick is to get it done before they pop back up, so I go from foot to foot.  They  need to be partially on their side, which puts all 4 feet in your direction.  I go from one foot to the other rather quickly with no set pattern, and I keep them relaxed by working on their ears or head or even their neck area in between foot work while they lay.  

Soon they get comfortable with it and then you can do them in any position.

The ones that won't lay I start with them in a sitting position, with them sitting on one hip and I can do the back legs this way.  Sometimes then you can also work on the front feet, but you have to be quick and do the feet in stages, not complete one foot all at once, they dont' like that when they are learning.

• May 17, 2015 10:01 PM CDT
    • front leg pulling

Snapping your teeth while your face is right next to theirs. without having control of the dog's mouth, I wouldn't do that. I did that with one dog, luckily holding it's beard on either side of its face, and the dog lunged for my face. He was a small schnauzer, so lunge didn't break my hold, but a large dog would have eaten my face or worse. As  it was I was having to do a whole lot of contortions to keep him from chewing on my arms and wrists.

• The following users say thanks to SharonL for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel