Forums General Business Issues Space/Table Leasing
  • Topic: How to grow in a small space?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 21, 2012 6:17 PM CDT
    • How to grow in a small space?

How do you grow a business when you are limited by space?  Moving or an addition are not options.

I would guess my space is 10x15.  Includes tub, cage bank.  There is very little floor space. 

I want to grow and add a PT bather next year.  But cannot see how it is logisitically/space.

Who works in small spaces?  How much work can you produce?  Do you work with anyone else in that space?

• October 21, 2012 8:41 PM CDT

You can only have as many people working as you have work space. If you have the space for another table, you could add another person.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• October 22, 2012 7:13 AM CDT

I read an article on counter drying verses using a grooming table. I do that now and it takes up less space. I use a piece of kitchen counter, narrowed it down to 12" depth and used heavy brackets to attach it to the wall. I also use brackets to hang hv to the wall at the end and a little under the table. This has saved me a lot of space.

• October 25, 2012 6:49 PM CDT

I inherited a metal shelf unit in the grooming room.  I cut it down into table legs and a shelf at the bottom.  More comfortable.  More workspace in the same footprint. 

I need to get my HV on the wall.  I'm getting the hanger for it on my next petedge order.

• October 25, 2012 7:09 PM CDT

Do you have the space under the table utilized? Store things under there in secure bins or drawer systems, to free up space elsewhere. What about shelf space above eye level? Often there's plenty of space for shelves up high and although you might need a step stool to reach some items easily, it frees up space taken by items stored in floor space. Don't forget space above the tub and grooming table. Where are your tools kept? Put a small tool chest under the grooming table on wheels and roll it out to use, put it back when you're not using the tools.  You can groom in a closet if you really have it.. but using space in the most efficient manner will make it easier.

Time saving tips and making certain that there's always more than one dog in some part of the grooming process will let you groom more dogs in less time. Can a dog dry partway in a cage while you do starting or finishing work on another one? Then before it's fully dry you can blow it the finish dry so the hair still looks good.  If you can manage to put a dog on the grooming table only ONE time per groom.. it will save time. Don't keep items where you need to walk away to get them.

Hard to really be specific without seeing pictures or a diagram, but I hope this helps.

• October 25, 2012 9:31 PM CDT

Standing in the doorway looking left

IMG_6497

Standing in the doorway looking right (before my repurposing of the shelf into a grooming table

IMG_6496

• October 31, 2012 2:05 PM CDT

I have a freind who had a table top made for her tub.  SHe simply puts it on the tub when she isn't using it and voila,, another table, (yes, you must stand).

She then put hinges on the wall for it and a hook so she can actually push it flush up with the back wall,and hook it up.  Then she lets it down, like an old fashioned ironing board.  Her faucets are at the end of the bathing tub.

There is nothing in the world to add space like wall shelves.  Curtains are cheap to cover shelving that holds items not used with each groom.  Makes things look nicer.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel