Forums General Breed Styles Mixed Breeds
  • Topic: Don't you just love makeovers?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 28, 2012 10:45 AM CDT
    • Don't you just love makeovers?

Not that I really like to see a dog get this neglected, but it sure is fun to see the transformation. A friend of the owner called and said she wanted to get this dog groomed as a gift for the owner who is elderly and hasn't been feeling well. She said it was a maltese. The ears and hair texture told me it's part westie. The face seemed bichon to me, but the dog was too small to just be westie-bichon, so there could be some maltese in there. She was definitely one of the cutest dogs I've groom and had the most pronounced head-tilt I've ever seen. Unfortunately, every time I went to take a picture of that head-tilt, she straightened up before the camera would fire.

• October 29, 2012 4:18 PM CDT

Thanks!! Angie, you're too funny. I was very lucky that the dog had virtually no matting. I attribute that to the course wirey hair texture. Or maybe someone was actually brushing this dog?? Anyway, although I love the idea of gifting dog-grooming, it's unfortunate that I didn't get to see the owner's reaction. Also, I have no way of knowing if this dog will ever be back. I will make a follow-up call in six weeks, but I have the feeling this was a one-time deal.

Often, I don't like the result of a drop-earred dog mating with a stand-up earred dog. Sometimes the offspring are cute because one ear will flop down, and the other will stand up. But more often than not, you just end up with what I call flying-nun wings that stick out, and it's difficult to do anything with them to make them look good. But these ears ended up like the ears of a scottish fold cat - curling forwards. Another groomer may have shaved them like a westie, but since this is obvously a mix, I just trimmed them up to the leather.

• November 5, 2012 3:49 PM CST

Thank you! I generally use a snap on comb over the top of the head that's one or two comb lengths longer than the body. On this dog, I believe I used a #2 comb on the body, and a #0 comb over the top of the head. And then I handscissored the whole face. I also probably cleaned up the top of the head with a little scissoring too after I went over it with the #0 comb. I never use combs on a dog's face, except directly under the chin, and right underneath the ears. I think a lot of groomers use combs on the cheeks, but I don't like to do that - I just scissor the whole face.

• December 24, 2012 12:23 PM CST

This dog wasn't neglected - the owners just decided to change the hairstyle. The wife always loved the teddy bear trim, but it was the husband who convinced her to poodle him up, for a change. They both loved the face, but were iffy on the feet. I wish I'd remembered to take pictures before I put in the Christmas bows.

• December 24, 2012 3:03 PM CST

I do clean feet on quite a few breeds that don't generally have them. Once done, and they get over the surprising difference in the look, they love them. Currently I do a family with 3 Yorkies and a Maltese. I placed the Maltese with them, and had been shaving her feet when she was here. The first grooming, she asked if I we could try it on the Yorkies too. They loved it.

I also do them on a schnauzer and a lhasa. I've done them on cockers, afghans and shih tzus too.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• December 24, 2012 9:02 PM CST

I typically do clean feet on any cocker or springer that gets shaved down.  I will usually use an 8 1/2 with the clipper vac, which makes it very easy to blend nicely into the legs without harsh clipper marks.

• December 25, 2012 2:42 AM CST

Once I had someone bring me a silky terrier that they wanted groomed to the breed standard. I pulled out my Notes from the Grooming Table and found the silky is supposed to have their feet shaved with a #7. I was really surprised, but that's what the owner wanted, so that's what I did. But I was also supposed to leave the full-length leg hair hanging over the feet, so they didn't show that much.

• December 25, 2012 7:03 AM CST

Yep to the Silky. I had a Silky client trimmed to breed standard. If I rememebr right, there were a few things different than a Yorkie. I think, but don't remember for sure, that the entire ear also got shaved? I loved that trim and I LOVED that dog. They had the dog on the front lawn when he ran after something. Unfortunately a car was in his way. **sigh**

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• February 8, 2013 9:18 AM CST

The owner of the dog in the first pictures did come back! And she was just as cute as I remembered her. Smile

The owner of the dog below had just rescued her from a shelter a few weeks ago. She said she wanted me to leave the top knot because she likes to put a bow in her hair. I convinced her that two bows on either side would be cuter. I just love the smirk on this dog's face.

• February 8, 2013 3:59 PM CST

Nice job!

I had a recent makeover that unfortunately didn't get pictures. :(

A stray Westie had been brought into the clinic on a Monday. She had been years, if ever groomed. She was beyond filthy. I'd left a note that I would clean her up later in the week.  When I got back on Wednesday, one of the assistants had bathed her and brushed some out the day  before.  I was bummed. She turned out fabulous and I would have loved to have had a before picture of her.  She has a happy ending.  She was microchipped. We were able to contact one of her former owners, that contacted who they gave her to some time back. Evidently the poor girl had several homes since the chip was done.  One of them contacted us and was appalled at her condition. She authorized the dental and huge tumor removal and decided she would work around whatever the reason was for not keeping her in the first place. So she went home clean, groomed, and all her medical taken care of. :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 8, 2013 4:52 PM CST

Thanks!

Wow, what a story. To think these owners thought they were giving the poor dog to a loving and responsible home, only to have her come back to them, horribly neglected. I can't imagine the guilt they must feel. I'm not surprised they decided to work around their reason for giving her away. But that's good she's back in a good home. Yeah, for microchipping!

• February 8, 2013 8:51 PM CST

I didn't get a before pic but this dog was in full coat and matted from not being brushed for the last 6 months. Mom claims that she is a show dog but.....ahh I don't think so. Ears are wrong and was told that her lower jaw never fused together. She had her teeth cleaned and 5 teeth pulled the day before her groom. I gave up on her face cause she was in so much pain.. Vet couldn't believe it was the same dog.

• February 9, 2013 4:36 AM CST

When I started at the clinic there was a client with three Yorkies. The topknots had been pulled up, but they were full of broken coat and only little whispers left really, so I cut them into visors. Two appointments later, she comes in and tells me she will be showing one of them in a couple weeks at an upcoming show.

She had pages of instructions for grooming and of course hadn't even noticed the lack of a pulled up topknot.

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel