Forums General Breed Styles Mixed Breeds
  • Topic: Don't you just love makeovers?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 16, 2013 4:30 PM CDT
    • Don't you just love makeovers?

Okay, on this one I admit the "after" picture wasn't taken the same day as the "before" picture. This dog wasn't particularly matted, just had really really long  hair and I like to gradually ween my customers into a shorter hairdo, so they don't suffer from "hair shock". I think the first groom (not pictured) was done with an #E or a #C comb, but the next groom (pictured) was done with a #0. I'll probably do a #1 for the next groom for Summer. 

• May 16, 2013 5:23 PM CDT

Very nice!

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 1, 2013 1:36 PM CDT

This one is my own dog, ha! She came down with a fairly rare and serious disease about six months ago and I decided to give her a break from  grooming while she was healing. Plus, at the age of 12, she gets tired during grooming sessions. I've had her for about six years, and she's never been in a teddy bear trim, so I decided it was a good time to see what she would look like. But I kept her top knot and legs really full in case I changed my mind (which I did) and wanted to poodle her up again. I enjoyed it for a while and she got tons of compliments, but I got tired of her face always being dirty and people started saying, "what a cute bichon!". As a poodle snob, that just doesn't fly in my book. Wink 

I know she has a mushroom head in the second picture. I'll work on that. When these older dogs' top knots get floppy, they always look good when I first finish them, but then five minutes later I have to scissor the sides again. 

• July 1, 2013 2:24 PM CDT

She does look cute with the full face.

My GSD is 14. She gets tired too for a full grooming and deshedding. A year or so ago I started shaving her down. It's much easier on her.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 1, 2013 9:09 PM CDT

It only gets packed if you don't deshed after shaving.  It's just easier on her to do the undercoat removal from a short coat than from the long full coat.

Barb

• January 24, 2014 6:23 PM CST

This was my first three-legged dog. I had met this dog at our local dog park shortly after he'd been hit by a car and had his leg amputated. He had big ugly scar, but he seemed like such a happy dog with tons of energy. The owners surrendered him, and the rescue organization that fostered him was sure he'd be adopted quickly. They were right! Six months later, when the new owner called and said she had a three-legged dog and named the rescue she got him from, I already knew who the dog was, ha! It was so nice to see him doing so well and see how pretty he could be with all that hair covering up the scar. He was super good and could balance surprisingly well on two legs when I picked one up. But he did get tired, so I let him rest when he needed to. And I let him stand on my hand to lift his nails off the table so I could clip them, rather than picking up the whole leg, which worked just fine. I was pleased it didn't take me any longer to groom him than any other dog. 

• January 24, 2014 9:02 PM CST

Oh he's cute!

Those fresh amputations do look terrible. :(  It's good that he gained his balance and confidence so nicely.  I've done quite a few three legged animals. Usually if you keep yourself aware of the balance issue, they do pretty good.

Barb

• February 10, 2014 9:33 AM CST

Love those before and after pics! Silky Terrier coming in on Wednesday, have never worked on, much les seen one, around here. They want short all over and a Teddy Bear head...........Don't know if it's matted or what, they just moved here form CO.

Any advice for working on a Silky's coat??

• February 10, 2014 9:47 AM CST

The Silkies I have seen just look like an average pet Yorkie. They are a little longer in the body and lighter coated.

Barb

• July 21, 2017 9:32 AM CDT

This is my own dog, Connor, whom I adopted in January. (Kimber died about a year ago.) I got him from our local animal shelter and as you can see, he was in pretty bad shape. He was rescued as a stray running around the streets of Simi Valley, CA. He needed to be neutered and I told several different employees at the shelter NOT to shave him - that I was a groomer and I would take care of it myself. So, a week later, I go to pick him up after his surgery and the vet says to me, "We groomed him for you!" Arrrggg. So, I spent the next five months growing his hair back out. He cleaned up pretty nice, I think.

• July 21, 2017 3:01 PM CDT

He's adorable!

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel