Forums General Tool Talk Small Tools
  • Topic: nail grinders

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 31, 2012 3:35 AM CDT
    • nail grinders

Wondering what kind of nail grinders you guys all use? I have the "dremel" pet tool that i ordered a long time ago...the grinding "attachments" would need replacement, but i'm wondering if there's a better one out there....it works pretty good on small nails, but for bigger tougher nails, it takes a while to grind down...I once saw a picture of a groomer grinding nails and the grinder looked really industrial...like something you would buy at a Canadian Tire or something...i've checked their website, but can't see any that look like the one i saw.

• October 31, 2012 6:39 AM CDT
    • nail grinders

I like the cordless rechargeable Dremel brand that you can get in just about any hardware section.

I used it for many many many years before the battery quit recharging.

I mistakenly replaced it with one that takes AA batteries. It's only ok. I'd suggest spending the extra and being sure you get the rechargeable.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• October 31, 2012 8:22 PM CDT
    • nail grinders

I have one that has a motor that hangs on my table and the dremel part is a wand on about a three foot shaft. I love it! The only downfall is that if you catch up the dremal really hard in hair it can break the shaft, but they are replaceable, no batteries, light weight, fully adjustable speed. I replaced my shaft last year for $15 and have used this for 6 years, It's a Northern Tools brand.

• October 31, 2012 8:43 PM CDT
    • nail grinders

I use a dremel with multi speed (set at 1500 at all times though) and a wand. I love it. I usually have to replace the grinding wheel about once a month or sometimes after a bigger dog with long nails. I found a really good deal on ebay for 100 wheels so I don't worry about replacing one if needed, I just do it. I find I have better control with the wand.

• October 31, 2012 9:58 PM CDT
    • nail grinders

I use a Dremel as well, I'm finding though that I'm incredibly hard on the grinding bands though  I go through about two a month. I use both the 60 grit and the 120 grit bands.   I also like using the stone bit that comes in  the toolbox too for soft nails so I may keep my old Dremel for the stone the next time I replace my Dremel,  have to replace it soon since I slipped a few times and stripped the brake so I can't change the head on it anymore.

• November 1, 2012 8:58 AM CDT
    • nail grinders

i'm a little confused, went to canadian tire in the grinder section, and all they have are those grinders that have the "disc looking" grinders, like in the shape of a cd....that's not what i have...they looked at me as if i had 2 heads when i said it was for grinding down dog's nails...was i in the right section?

• November 1, 2012 9:21 AM CDT
    • nail grinders

There are several different head attachments that you can put on the dremels, from drill type heads, sanding disks, and the ones we use for nails.

Most of the Dremel brand small hand tools have several that come with them.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• November 1, 2012 10:46 AM CDT
    • nail grinders

Nat, the biggest problem was you were looking for competent people in Crappy Tire. I've not been happy with the service I 've gotten there in the last year or so. The bands are what you need to tell them you want. I buy at least three packages when I go so I don't have to deal with the twits.

Any other hardware store should have them too.

• November 3, 2012 9:12 PM CDT
    • nail grinders

I bought a grinding stone a couple of years ago and have not yet needed to replace it.  I use a rechargeable 7.2 volt Dremel.  The only thing that I don't like about them is that the batteries don't seem to have a very long life, even when you drain them completely before recharging.   

• November 5, 2012 4:09 AM CST
    • nail grinders

ok, i found one...bought the Dremel 8200....it's cordless...and it looked like good quality, it was one of the higher ends models, and it was on sale...but it's got so many attachments, i get confused...so i just put one of the grinding bits that seemed similar to the ones i used before on my old dremel.   I saw someone post on here that they used the 60 or 120 grinding bits...but mine have no numbers on them...?? And someone else said they used a sanding stone...do these work as well as the grinding bits? oh my....so many choices, i'll just try them all and see which i prefer i guess.

• November 5, 2012 8:21 AM CST
    • nail grinders

It's handy little household tool. The other attachments are used for wood working and such. Somewhere in the paper work it should say what each one is and maybe the grit, though it doesn't really matter for nails. I've used the stones and the paper. I think I like the paper ones a bit better as the stones are often a very fine grit and don't take off as much as quickly.

Barb

• November 5, 2012 4:17 PM CST
    • nail grinders

I use the paper ones. They sell "refill" sanding drum covers really cheap. As long as you don't get them wet, they last quite a while. Dremels are way awesome for working on tons of things. I'm forever using one of mine for things.

• May 15, 2016 4:14 AM CDT
    • nail grinders

I gotta get one...My dremel finally died. I hate using it. I've sanded my self, got the damn thing caught in dog hair, my hair. I tried a few of the "Pawticure" types but they don't have enough power to get the job done quickly enough...This post is old enough. Maybe there's something new? I can't be the only one who dreads this thing, lol

Gracie

• May 15, 2016 7:30 AM CDT
    • nail grinders

Oster has one that is alright. Its a bit loud on the high speed. Its has the cap on it so you don't catch your hair or the dog's. The dremel brand feels sturdier and likely has a longer life but the oster does what its supposed to do.

Barb

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel