Forums General Tool Talk Small Tools
  • Topic: Stripping Knife

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 9, 2013 8:41 PM CST
    • Stripping Knife

I've never been sure of how to use one, and after watching a U-Tube video, I know even less than I did before.  Can ya give me a hand?  How to and when to use a stripping knive 101, please?  I'm getting ready to put in an order for some other things, and how often I would have a use for one would tell me if I should order it. 

Thanks!

• January 9, 2013 8:59 PM CST
    • Stripping Knife

A stripping knife, used improperly, can cut the coat instead of pull it. For a beginner I would suggest getthing a pumice stone from a drug store. Get the kind with a handle and the long, narrow stone at the end. It will grasp the hair and pull like a knife but there is no danger of cutting the hair. Once you get the hang of the technique you can switch back to the knife.

Honestly, though, I use a stirpping knife very little. My favorite way to handstrip is to put on latex gloves. This way I can keep switching hands when one gets tired. Concentrate on the technique of handstripping first then worry about the tools.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• January 9, 2013 9:25 PM CST
    • Stripping Knife

I've been using a stripping stone for years.  They're more like lava stone than pumice, tho.  Would it be better to switch to pumice?  Or does it make that much difference?  I'll put off the knife for now.  I'll work instead on line carding more.

Thanks Catsmom.

• January 10, 2013 12:17 AM CST
    • Stripping Knife

Pumice is the harder version, you can take out the dead guard coat with it instead of just the soft stuff. I'm with Catsmom regarding the gloves, I use latex finger cots, on both index fingers and thumbs. I can keep everything much more symmetrical that way.
    • January 10, 2013 6:55 AM CST
    • Stripping Knife

The pumice stone I am referring to is the type you would use on your feet. It has a wooden handle with a long, thin pumice at the end. The reason for this specific one is the shape. You hold it the exact same way you would hold a stripping knife. This way you learn how to hold the knife and get used to the technique without the danger of cutting the coat.

Carding is different from stripping. With carding you are removing the soft undercoat. With stripping you are removing the guard hairs so that new harsh and vibrant guard hairs can grow in.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• January 10, 2013 3:19 PM CST
    • Stripping Knife

I would not be without my COURSE WOOD handled stripping knife and I NEVER strip dogs.

I use it for mostly mixed breeds after the groom, the hair just doesn't fluff like I want, I comb through with the stripping knife, ( we call it a comb).

A dog with legs that have waves and it won't lay right, comb through with the stripping comb.  

If i have to clip a pom, using the stripping comb makes the remaining coat plush and pulls out the little dead undercoat that is left.

Cockapoos, especially, look super nice when finished with a comb through with the stipping comb when they are done in a fluffy medium length clip.

Yes, I do not use it like it is intended, but it pulls the dead hair out of the coat, just some of the little stuff that the regular comb doesn't get, and makes the dogs look SO MUCH NICER.

Kind of like using a baby brush on a short trimmed dog, like a smoothie, it sometimes looks a lot better when gone over with a baby hair brush.  

Like I said, I would not be without that wooden handled stripping knife.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel