Forums General Tool Talk Misc Tools
  • Topic: ALL INFO on ABSORBER towels needed

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 17, 2012 9:21 AM CST
    • ALL INFO on ABSORBER towels needed

Ok, guys, those of you who read my posts know I am very particular on learning all I can before I invest in something,

I did buy 3 absorber towels, and I did read where some of you use bleac, or vinegar to soak the towels.

I would LOVE for you to share, (again on this thread if you already did) your pros and cons to different methods of use, helpful hints, and your reciepe for the soaking solution.

I do not like the smell of vinegar or bleach, am kind of thinking pine fresh type cleaner? or even better, Lemon cleaner? 

also storing, rinsing and cleaning directions if you please, and REALLY do you use them to clean up pee?! 

ALso how many cut ones do you have or do you keep them all whole?

And what can I do to make them last for years, like some of you do?

Thanks so much!

• February 17, 2012 9:31 AM CST

I used just a tablespoon of Simple Green on mine. I like the smell it's not over powering.

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein

• February 17, 2012 1:25 PM CST

I use Kennel Fresh from Show Seasons. i don;t measure, just spalsh into a gallon of water.

Bleach will make them wear faster. They start to get thin after awhile and when they really break down, they crumble!

When mine start to get thin they get sent to floor use. Great for mopping up "spills" without going through wads of papertowel. Makes them last even longer.

I never cut them, I use them whole. I wrap dog front and back and place them on one.

Keep them clean and rinsed when not in use. I roll mine up and store them in a basket for the weekend. It's easier to get them wet again when they're rolled (the way they came in the package. When they are dry they are as stiff as cardboard!

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• February 17, 2012 4:52 PM CST

Simple Green is non toxic. It's one of the reasons I use it in the shop. I just put two capfulls in a gallon of water for it.

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein

• February 17, 2012 9:00 PM CST

Simple Green made me cough when my co-worker bought it. I googled it just now, and on the first page of results (after reading the MSDS sheet which states: CAUTION- IRRITANT) I found this:

"

SIMPLE GREEN LOGO – Side Effects of Simple Green Ingredients vs. Simple Green MSDS

According to a new report by Women’s Voices for the Earth, Simple Green contains the chemical ethylene glycol butyl ether or EGBE, which is on California’s list of toxic ingredients. Sweet! So glad that Simple Green advertises itself as a non-toxic cleaning product! According to the report, from SF Gate:  …produces reproductive problems, such as testicular damage, reduced fertility, death of embryos and birth defects. People exposed to high levels of EGBE for several hours have reported nose and eye irritation, headaches, vomiting and a metallic taste in their mouths, studies show.

Well that would sure make me feel better about using their environmentally friendly non-toxic cleaner. Luckily I don’t use (nor ever have) their products and I hope they change the formula soon because I am sure a lot of people do use the stuff. A full list of the products with this toxic ingredient can be found at SF Gate, and you might be surprised at the list. Take a look when you get a chance and make sure you are not using any of them in your home. Source"

It would seem that there is some "green washing" in play here. 

More quoting: "The report released today by Women’s Voices for the Earth, a Montana-based nonprofit working to eliminate or reduce toxic chemicals in the home.

The chemical, called ethylene glycol butyl ether or EGBE, is on California’s list of toxic air contaminants. Some animal studies indicate that it produces reproductive problems, such as testicular damage, reduced fertility, death of embryos and birth defects. People exposed to high levels of EGBE for several hours have reported nose and eye irritation, headaches, vomiting and a metallic taste in their mouths, studies show.

It’s difficult for consumers to know whether their favorite cleaner contains the chemical because manufacturers aren’t required to list it on the label. Neither the state nor the federal government regulates indoor air pollution, for instance how the cleaners might degrade air inside a home.

“These are products that women are using in their households on a daily basis, and they use them around their children,” said Alexandra Gorman, the group’s director of science and research and an author of the report.

The group wants to help people become aware of chemicals they might want to avoid.

Scientists say most people spend about 90 percent of their time indoors. Babies, elderly people and sick people spend almost all of their time inside.

The women’s research group pored through federally mandated Material Safety Data Sheets pertaining to household cleaning products. The data sheets, which are prepared by the manufacturers and are widely available online, contain information on chemicals used in products.

The group found that EGBE, also known as 2-butoxyethanol, was a common ingredient. It’s a colorless, biodegradable chemical with a fruity odor that acts as a degreaser.

The researchers found about 50 products containing varied amounts of the chemical. Some manufacturers, likeSunshine Makers Inc., which makes the Simple Green brand, didn’t report how much of the chemical is used in its products.

Sunshine Makers, based in Huntington Harbour (Orange County), advertises its Simply Green brand as nontoxic and environmentally friendly. In its response to the research group’s study, the company said it didn’t detail all the chemicals in its products to “protect its formula from piracy.”

• February 17, 2012 9:32 PM CST

If I remember correctly, pertaining to Simple Green BBird once said that there is nothing simple about it and the only thing "green" is the color. If I've misquoted, my apologies.

Be carefeul of any of the "sol" type cleaners (Pinesol, Lysol). I'm not sure about dogs but the "sols" are toxic to cats and cause liver damage.

Don't know why I never thought to use vinegar for the Absorbers! i use vinegar for just about everything else! Cheaper, too! I pay about $4.+ for 2 gallons of vinegar at BJ's (Sam's Club, Costco). Thanks!

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• February 18, 2012 4:27 AM CST

Vinegar it is, I'll leave the Simple Green for my floors.

• February 18, 2012 7:56 AM CST

OK, gang, my towels have not arrived, but I just cannot stand vinegar in my shop,, so since no simple green or no pine sol,, keep those ideas coming,,, PLEASE!!!

My shop is all in one room, so the vinegar will be an obvious "scent" when ever I rinse a towel for use, and people drop off in a door way that is only about 10 feet from my tub,,,,

I so look forward to using these towels and not having all that laundry, but I need something that smells nice to keep them soaking in so that when I rinse them out, it isn't unpleasent like Bleach or vinegar.

• February 18, 2012 10:16 AM CST

I use a cleaning product for my home and shop that Totally non-toxic, carcinogen free, Eco Friendly, All purpose cleaner and degreaser concentrate. Green Virgin Products (dot com) Formula 433. It's so non toxic you can use it to brush your teeth! It also claims to kill insects but I've not had any flea dogs come in since I got it. 

No it's not as cheap as vinegar but it dilutes way down for light cleaning. At a 50-1 ratio it's not too expensive. I use it to keep the water spots off my stainless steel tub and as a shower spray at home. It has a light non-offensive fragrance. 

MSDS?

On the label is says "This amazing product is extremely effectie yet is so safe it requires no warning label of any kind".

I use it diluted 5 to 1 for laundry detergent and automatic dish washer detergent.  You want to talk about toxins look into commercial laundry detergent!

Because you can never have too much of a goat thing.

• February 18, 2012 3:54 PM CST

i don't cut my towels, either.

while working today, i was thinking about how i use them and how i can improve my carbon footprint. i've got all these standy-by absorbers ready and only use one at a time, using regular towels for sitting dogs on and cleaning up messes. time to demote my current towel for messes and open up 2 or 3 new ones to use at once. i'm going to see just how much i can cut down on not only my laundry but my paper towel useage! thanks for pushing me a little further, friends.

in Canada, the absorber costs $19.99 at Walmart. i just stock up every trip down to ND, but i'm also going to check out Amazon.

i played with my vinegar/water solution until it wasn't so overpowering. a quick rinse and i smell nothing while drying a dog. i also have a lid for my pail, to keep blowing hair out. i've got a 'thing' about copious amounts of hair floating in water. ech. i know, i know... groomer with hair issues. sigh. i have in the past popped my absorbers in the washer every few days but never really found it to make much of a difference on cleanliess. just had to rinse for 3 days to get all the soap out, lol!

• February 19, 2012 6:01 AM CST

I hate the smell of vinegar too, I do use it if I dog has messed on the floor, quickest way to get the smell out, but then i follow it with a wash of regualr hot water to get the smell away...vinergar makes me nauseous.

• February 21, 2012 7:23 PM CST

Just bought a purple and pink Absorber today at Walmart-- $9.83 each.  After reading all the comments about them, I decided to buy a couple.   I tend to be pretty skeptical about stuff like that..... well, IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.   I used it on my dogs today and was impressed.   Kind of a pain to continually wring it out, tho. 

• February 22, 2012 6:55 AM CST

Papsnpaints said:
      GROOMNPOODLZ said:

Just bought a purple and pink Absorber today at Walmart-- $9.83 each.   

Are these like the "ShamWow" I see on Amazon.com? 

No, not at all. ShamWows are more like Moisutre Magnets. Absorbers are completley different. SW and MM are sort of felt feeling. Absorbers are sort of rubbery.

Charles Dickens

• February 25, 2012 11:29 AM CST

One day big grooming day with the towels, and less than 1/2 the normal weeks load of laundry,, put them under the dogs getting wet clipped, the hair slid right off, used to dry dogs, they are great!  I bet I average 2 towels a dog, now I all I have to wash are my smocks and the fuzzy crate blankies to do!  THANK YOU ALL!

• February 25, 2012 11:54 AM CST

Interesting tidbit from Wikipedia on the Absorber which is made out of :"Polyvinyl alcohol has excellent film forming, emulsifying, and adhesive properties. It is also resistant to oil, grease and solvent. It is odorless and nontoxic. It has high tensile strength and flexibility, as well as high oxygen and aroma barrier properties. However these properties are dependent on humidity, in other words, with higher humidity more water is absorbed. The water, which acts as a plasticiser, will then reduce its tensile strength, but increase its elongation and tear strength. PVA is fully degradable and is a quick dissolver. PVA has a melting point of 230°C and 180-190°C for the fully hydrolysed and partially hydrolysed grades. It decomposes rapidly above 200°C as it can undergo pyrolysis at high temperatures." via Wikipedia

So...being biodegradable really appeals to me, the other thing is that  solvents will not adhere to Polyvinyl Alcohol. Which means it's easily rinsable after cleaning them. First week with NO LAUNDRY. It's great!

• February 26, 2012 8:34 PM CST

I found this thread interesting so went to Walmart here in Canada to get some.  They had something called 'Ultimate absorber', also in a tube, but it was only 7.98, so I was thinknig it isn't the same thing but a knock off.  I then checked CAnadian Tire and they had the real Absorber for 19.99.  The Walmart one looked the same, I wonder if it is just as good.  I didn't buy it as I didn't want to waste my money if it didn't work.  I have a pile of the cheap Sham-wow type but they are really cheap and don't work at all. 

• February 26, 2012 8:38 PM CST

The Sham Wow type are great for cleaning. Not so much for drying. I haven't invested in the Absorbers yet.

Because you can never have too much of a goat thing.

• February 27, 2012 6:11 PM CST

11 dogs today, between 2 groomers and 2 absorber towels, we used one little towel for our hands, and besides the smocks, the is the ONLY laundry, HURAHHAYYYYYY! thank you all SO MUCH!

• February 27, 2012 7:01 PM CST

Hi friends!  Catsmom is quoting me right.  Simple Green is neither simple nor green.  The term "non-toxic" would apply to nearly everything.  There are no truly toxic cleaners out there, although Pinesol and Lysol - phenols - are contenders for the crown.  Phenol-based cleanrs are toxic to cats, as felines do not have the liver enzymes necessary to detoxify these chemicals.  
      Another way to sanitize the absorber-type sponge towels is Chlorhexidine solution.  But you need to remember that the surface must be in contact with the sanitizing agent for at least 10 minutes to be effective.  I am a vinegar person.  

catsmom said:

If I remember correctly, pertaining to Simple Green BBird once said that there is nothing simple about it and the only thing "green" is the color. If I've misquoted, my apologies.

Be carefeul of any of the "sol" type cleaners (Pinesol, Lysol). I'm not sure about dogs but the "sols" are toxic to cats and cause liver damage.

Don't know why I never thought to use vinegar for the Absorbers! i use vinegar for just about everything else! Cheaper, too! I pay about $4.+ for 2 gallons of vinegar at BJ's (Sam's Club, Costco). Thanks!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel