Forums General Grooming Techniques Hand Stripping
  • Topic: "carding"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 27, 2013 12:36 PM CST
    • "carding"

I have some questions regarding tools to card out/strip out the fluffy undercoat on terriers specifically.

My hands/fingers can't take much plucking by hand, so I use coat kings, stripping knives and the lava rock stones. They seem to do a good job of getting out a lot of undercoat....I do four cairn terriers this way. They only come in every 3-4 months or so though. I am noticing that their coats are not growing in as harsh as I would like to see them...they are still rather soft and silky...with a rough coated patch across the topline.

Is it that the dogs are not being done enough...or am I not getting out the coat correctly? How can I tell?

Also wondering if the shampoo softens the coat. I bathe after I card the bulk out. The bath seems to get the rest of the loose coat.

Also, just in the past two days I have had two people call looking to have their terriers stripped/carded. One person wants to take up "hand plucking" at home but just wants me to get some bulk out through carding the dog for them. (schauzers...they had been getting clippered)

another person just left a message wanting her pet Norfolk stripped as her last groomer just quit. I would love the opportunity to work on these dogs....but my question is...can I achieve good results "carding" with CKs and stripping knives and lava stones? How often should the dogs been seen if they want that harsh coat? (keep in mind I CANNOT hand pluck)

thoughts?

• February 27, 2013 1:26 PM CST
    • "carding"

I think you are going to have to do some stripping of the harsh coat to keep it that way and encourage regrowth.

It doesn't have to be done by hand plucking alone. You can use your stripping knife and your thumb to grab and pull the harsher coat. 

Some dogs also just genetically do not have a good harsh coat.

When a new client asks me to strip, I stress that I do pet stripping. For me that means lots of carding, some stripping/plucking of the harsher coat, and often times clippers to get a length set. They are clipped longer, usually with my Speed Feed and a comb attachment. It keeps a nice coarser coat, but definitely not a show coat.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 27, 2013 2:49 PM CST
    • "carding"

yah, I have two cairns that started off with thick coarse coats...I have not used clippers on them...just carding and tidying up with scizzors...they are starting to come in with soft coats instead of that course coat...so i am afraid I am not getting something right...e.ven though I am getting a TON of fluff off of them. The owners seem happy still...but Im not.

I have a client coming next week that grooms their Schnauzers themselves and want to start stripping them. They want me to card the bulk of the soft coat out for them and then they will do weekly maintenance plucking at home. I will only be carding, not bathing or trimming...I have never been asked to do this before....how do I begin to price it? Is this a question I am allowed to ask?

• February 27, 2013 2:52 PM CST
    • "carding"

You can ask as you are not asking what anyone else charges, but HOW to charge it. :)

I would figure your average hourly fee, then charge according to that amount. I would probably do a half hour minimum pricing, just to make it worth my non grooming time - making the appt, checking in, etc. 

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 28, 2013 4:46 PM CST
    • "carding"

Beth2-are you seeing any top coat? Sounds like you may be over using the Coat King (which pulls but does cut the coat) then over carding.  If you are not stripping or rolling the coat correctly-you will "kill" off the hard coat just like if the coat was  clipped.  I like to use a "dead" 30 blade to card but, again don't over use it or you can take out too much.

For the client that wants to start stripping.  If these dogs have soft coats already (no harsh coat) and the dogs have been clipped previously its almost impossible to get the coat to come back in.  I was working on a Glen of Imaal that had been clipped. The owner wanted the breeder to see him about showing, I told him the coat was too soft and should be stripped to see if the hard coat would come back..it wasn't.  Talked to the breeder,  she told me to "pink" him (strip all the coat off) to see if it would grow in hard.  I discussed it with the owner and he opted to just have me strip him the way I was (with the soft coat).  Some shampoos will soften the coat more than others.  Use something for harsh coated terriers-protein shamp.-no conditioners. A bath after stripping with that type of shampoo is fine, and shouldn't soften the coat too much. As to charging for carding..I charge  a $ amount per minute.

• February 28, 2013 11:04 PM CST
    • "carding"

yes! I think thats what is wrong. I have one Cairn that always has a decently harsh coat...with little undercoat...so she just gets a light coat king raking and tidying up. the two other cairns I do have a ton of undercoat and are coming back in with even more undercoat fluff and silky coat than harsh coat now. So I must not be pulling out as much harsh coat as I thought I have been....but I have been gettting a ton of fluff out each time I card them...so thought I was doing well. This last time this one cairn came in he was totally silky and had only a strip of harsh coat down his back. Im so sad! I only see these dogs every 3-4 months too, so that doesnt help.

I cannot pluck with my hands...I just cant physically do it without being in pain...so to make sure I can continue to groom for a few more years, I need to NOT do stripping by pulling with my fingers....so thats why I have been carding with tools. What can I do to help restore the coat a bit without a full out stripping down by hand?

I have stripping knives that I had from my spaniel showing days....can I use them for terriers?  Also have the stripping stones...but they are more for finishing right? Ive been looking at youtube for some good video guides.

• March 2, 2013 8:59 AM CST
    • "carding"

beth2 said:

I cannot pluck with my hands...I just cant physically do it without being in pain...so to make sure I can continue to groom for a few more years, I need to NOT do stripping by pulling with my fingers....so thats why I have been carding with tools. What can I do to help restore the coat a bit without a full out stripping down by hand?

I have stripping knives that I had from my spaniel showing days....can I use them for terriers? 

When you say pulling with your fingers, do you  mean without a stripping knife or actual hand plucking?

To keep the coat, they will have to have some of the coarser coat removed and not just carding out the undercoat.

It can be done with the stripping knives, and yes the ones you used for the spaniels should work fine.

Barb

• May 19, 2015 6:45 AM CDT
    • "carding"

Carding is using a fine toothed tool to remove undercoat. Some people will slide the cutter part out of a blade and use the blade (minus cutter) to comb through the coat. You can also use a stripping knife with the smfe combing action or a furminator type tool.

On terriers and spaniels, sometimes there is so much undercoat that it hides the proper, coarse, top coat. Removing as much as you can does a couple of things. It allows you to see the top coat. It also makes clipping and blending much easier and smoother.

Barb

• May 19, 2015 3:47 PM CDT
    • "carding"

Ah,thank you. Doing that made a world of difference on my cocker. I had gotten sick of seeing his curly back and was very happy with the results. I don' remember any one asking for stripping for probably twenty years. I wonder why.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel