Forums General Tool Talk
  • Topic: Looking for your personal "Bests"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 11, 2013 12:17 PM CDT
    • Looking for your personal "Bests"

We are finding out a slew of great information for our business, I wanted to again pick your brains and ask of your favorite, cant do without tools. We probably wont be able to buy all the best and everything be brand new, but we would like some input on some of you guys favorite cant miss tools..

Also, we have been looking at tubs and such, holy smokes are there a million different kinds. I think ebay is gonna be our friend.

Thanks again for those that reply! Have a great day

• May 11, 2013 3:49 PM CDT

I would not want to groom without my Clippervac, K9II dryer, Speed Feed trimmers, shampoo system and Wahl Stainless Steel combs.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:
    • May 11, 2013 4:12 PM CDT

Ive also saw that for sale items on this site looks to be rather dated. Are they just old posts or Im wondering if people still have a bunch for sale. Ive looked on craigslist and others to see if someone may be out of business or going out and getting rid of things...Id like to run up on someone who is getting out of the business and get alot of the stuff from them, if theres anyone out there who fits this bill, please let us know. Also...I know this is a little much, but for the starting out business, would a comp sysytem like petvantage, or software like this...is it worth it to start out or is it an expense that can be bought at a later time. Thanks again

• May 11, 2013 4:30 PM CDT

You would have to contact the poster to see if the items are still available.

I use a home made system with a garden sprayer.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• May 11, 2013 4:50 PM CDT

I have never understood paying the prices for the specialty tubs. A decent used regular tub, mounted on a frame so it's raised up to a comfortable working height has always worked superbly with me. Right now, we have shower pans mounted in raised frames. It's not only cheaper but it's WAY more comfortable in my opinion than any of the specialty tubs which tend to be too low to be comfortable to do any but the largest dogs.

I'm not much for needing fancy best top line to do a good job. I use double-speed andis clippers, the shop does have clippervacs that I use occasionally and they can be efficient and useful. Stainless steel comb sets(to use on the clippers, not like the brush and combs) are well worth the money instead of buying a cheap plastic set. HUGE difference.

A TABLE is one of the best investments in my opinion. Get a table that lowers as low as possible(usually a scissor lift style, not the round single tree) and electric OR hydraulic. We have hydraulics, no cords, no shorts, no switches to fiddle with. I groomed for many years with a standard table, no hydraulics, no up and down, just a table. It worked fine. But having the hydraulic table really makes a difference. A good stool is also important.

You don't always need to spend a ton of money to get good usable equipment. More expensice doesn't automatically mean it will work better.

And get two of everything, and 4 of each blade size you need. When a dryer goes poof, and you've got ten dogs to do, you can either lose the entire day's income, make ten clients annoyed, increase your stress levels.... or you can pull out your second dryer and go on with your day, making arrangements to get the broken dryer fixed in the meantime.

But most important in this job is the groomer. Without a good trained experienced groomer, it doesn't matter if you've spent a million dollars on the equipment.

• May 11, 2013 10:02 PM CDT

as for hiring a good groomer, Thats the best advice as well. Ive been thinking about that ALOT. I would wonder what could be an attractive (FAIR for both parties) package to offer? Salary or commission to start off with? Offer vacation days and sick days? Just trying to figure out what is being offered elsewhere and be able to be competitive....Thanks again

• May 11, 2013 10:25 PM CDT

My favorites...

Electric table so that you don't have to lift.

Clippervac

Bathing Beauty

A Trimmer such as Speed Feed or Bravura

Stainless Steel Snap on Combs

Le Pooch Brushes Gold and Mat Brush especially

Now I am using the smallest clippers I can find that do a good job Andis 5 speeds are small

Buttercut 7F ceramic blades

Stazco (  Spelled wrong probably)  Detangler Spray

• May 12, 2013 8:44 AM CDT

Let's see... First, my correctly fitted shears that save my hands so much. Then my Arco (or speed feed or whatever floats your boat) that also saves my hands and is light weight, adjustable so I don't have to have 40 and 10 blades.  I love my Edemco bathtub and my Pet Edge stairs for big dogs, haven't had a one that doesn't fit and being flat makes them feel more secure. Finally, I have installed wood grain-look rubber foam floor all over my shop and I LOVE it, no more achy feet and knees and it looks great and is holding up well.

• May 15, 2013 3:17 PM CDT

love my electric table, bathing beauty, taxi Vac, Wahl ss combs, and my tub ( it used to be a darkroom sink so it is fiberglass, six feet long and shallow. no need to bend over to bath love it).  Oh, and my computer so that I can read everything on this board during lunch - even after 30 years I learn so much!Thanks everyone.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel