Forums General Breed Styles Other Breeds
  • Topic: Chinese Crested

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 10, 2013 3:27 PM CDT
    • Chinese Crested

From hairy hairless to hairless.

I like doing this dog. I liked doing him better before his skin got all yucky. He's a grooming client at the clinic only, they don't do any of the medical stuff there.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• June 10, 2013 3:28 PM CDT
    • Chinese Crested

after

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• June 10, 2013 8:27 PM CDT
    • Chinese Crested

He is fun to do. Well the trim is, as you can see, he's not done often and is a bit spooky.

I used a 30 on the Speed Feed. It usually leaves him more like you can see right down the center of his back, but his skin was really gross, so it didn't look as nice as usual.

Barb

• June 10, 2013 8:28 PM CDT
    • Chinese Crested

I never quite know if I should shave the ears or leave them. I always pull up pictures and I see them both ways. He's not the greatest to groom, so I my decision is always to leave them, as it's easier.

Barb

• The following users say thanks to scout for this useful post:
    • June 11, 2013 2:22 PM CDT
    • Chinese Crested

That's what I would have called him too if they owners hadn't said he was a Crested.  They got him assuming he was a hairless. I'm guessing whoever they got him from had him shaved prior to selling him. They were pretty disappointed when he started growing so much hair.

Barb

• June 11, 2013 10:30 PM CDT
    • Chinese Crested

Very cute! I would assume he's a crested mixed with something else with that much hair. Also, I know this breed is notorious for having skin problems, but I think I always assumed it had something to do with them being hairless...which this one isn't...hmmm.

• June 11, 2013 10:42 PM CDT
    • Chinese Crested

He's full crested. They come in a variety of hair types - hairless, hairy hairless and powder puff. 

His skin problems could be any number of things. They do not use our clinic for their Vet work, just for grooming, so I don't know the medical history or if they have done anything to try and remedy it.

Barb

• January 15, 2016 6:22 PM CST
    • Chinese Crested

Try using a #30 backwards. It makes a nice smooth look even with bad skin.  I do this on my crested before I do the Nair treatment for showing.  Clip in between just to keep on top of it during non show season. A cordless with a very short blade is also nice for these guys to get to the skin without rashing.

• The following users say thanks to angelsun for this useful post:
    • The following users say thanks to Zoomom for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel