Forums General Customer Relations Owners Staying
  • Topic: I just had to laugh...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 18, 2013 4:49 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

I got a funny message on my answering machine yesterday. The owner is asking if I will allow her to stay for the groom because she has a very scared lhasa, "and I would..." [I thought she was going to say, stay and watch and maybe talk to the dog, but instead], "...like to hold her while you're grooming her." Ummm...no. I called her back and told her she can stay and sit in a chair, but she can't hold her and I would prefer she not even talk to her. I explained the whole thing about how dogs generally behave worse when their owners are around and why. She was okay with that and booked an appointment. We'll see how it goes.

• September 18, 2013 10:07 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

I often wonder what non groomers think we do during the process. I've heard things like "Oh he'll just lay there for you" or those wanting to hold them.  I don't think they have the slightest idea that the dog needs to stand, stand square, and stand still.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• September 19, 2013 3:03 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

Well, in this case, I know what she was thinking. She said she's been grooming the dog herself while her brother holds her. Or, maybe she holds the dog while her brother grooms? But, gee, her brother is very busy these days, so she's just looking for a replacement for him. Smile 

• September 25, 2013 6:24 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

Everything went fine. She was nice and stayed out of my way. Her dog was a bit squirmy, but not bad at all. She commented several times that she was surprised he didn't try to bite me. And I wear earplugs for most of the groom, so she couldn't talk to me that much. But I figured out the real reason she wanted to stay was so that I could teach her to groom her own dog. That was fine with me. It didn't take me any longer to give her a few pointers and tell her what equipment she needs. And she tipped me well. Hopefully, I gave her enough info that she won't be back.

• September 26, 2013 6:33 AM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

It's too bad she couldn't be upfront and honest with you about the real reason she wanted the appointment. :(

I have a woman coming at the end of October with her 9 month old Standard Schnauzer puppy. She wants to keep him stripped to retain his harsh coat. She was upfront that she would like to learn to do it herself. She sent me pictures and his coat looks fabulous. She's been doing it on her own, but is at a point that she doesn't know where to go from here.  She's moving to Europe at the end of the year and is afraid she won't find anyone there who will do it.

She also owns a Giant Schnauzer, but he is clipped and she has a regular groomer for him. She just doesn't do any stripping so recommended she call me.

I don't mind showing her, especially since she was honest about it from the get go.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• September 27, 2013 2:49 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

So, she thinks there's no dogs in Europe?? Laughing

I'm a big advocate of owners grooming their own dogs, whenever they can. I know that's not the best thing for us groomers, but I believe it's best for the dog, IF the owner does a good job and is willing to spend some money on the right tools.

• September 27, 2013 3:37 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

She thinks she will have a hard time finding someone who handstrips. I told her she may have an easier time depending on where she is living. :)

Barb

• September 28, 2013 3:46 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

I've advised a few people on the right tools and given plenty of tips on doing the grooming. Most of them come back sheepishly saying things like "I didn't realize how HARD it is..." or saying they didn't like all the mess.

• September 28, 2013 11:00 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

Exactly Wolf-Hound. :)

I think grooming is a great bonding time for dogs and their owners. It's also a great training session and keeps the owner aware of their dog's condition to easily spot things that might be wrong. I will always encourage an owner to learn to do some or all of it if they can.

Many will try, and decide it's not for them.

Many will try and be able to accomplish a groom that they know it's professional quality, but is good enough.

My own Dad and Stepmom groom their own dog.  They are snow birds and during much of the year are on the road.  They can not imagine just dropping her off to a stranger and leaving her there.  Maybe once in the summer when they are back home, I'll do her. It's mostly to do the things they find difficult.  Yesterday while over there for a family dinner, I clipped her tummy, rear, and below her eyes.  I'm comfortable enough with the clippers to do it as short as it should be done. :)

It took some trial and error for them.  They didn't take my initial advice on equipment and instead bought some discount store clippers. One grooming and they asked me for a list of what they should be using.  With professional tools, they do an alright job. I've seen worse coming out of some grooming shops. They are happy with how she looks and their minds are at ease not having to worry about a stranger working on her.

I would be unhappy if I got a cold call wanting to come in and watch me groom their dog one time to teach them, without any thought of compensation, or even worse just asking if they could come watch me groom any dog so they could learn.

I don't mind helping out a new client, depending on how they ask, the reason for asking, and the amount of respect they show when talking to me about it.  The woman with the Standard Schnauzer was very honest in that they would only be here a few more months and she was hoping to have me set the proper lines so she could follow them on her own. She was also honest in that she's done quite a bit of stripping on him herself, but wasn't sure where to go from what she had done, to make him look right. She was honest that she has someone else groom her Giant Schnauzer, and she's very happy with her work, she just doesn't do handstripping for this dog.   I liked that. I set her up on a morning when I had no one else coming in, and will have her stay and we'll work on him together. She was thrilled and I was happy to help her out.

Barb

• November 11, 2013 5:45 PM CST
    • I just had to laugh...

Well, six weeks later, she booked another appointment. I asked if she had any luck grooming the dog herself and she said she didn't have time. But the good news is that she left me with her dog and didn't even ask if she could stay. Alls well that ends well...

• November 12, 2013 6:34 AM CST
    • I just had to laugh...

Very good ending :)

I think for many, they would love to be able to know how and have the ability to do it on their own, should they choose to do it.  When it comes down to it though, it is a big job and finding the time can be hard.

The Schnauzer I wrote about above turned out great. She stayed for about an hour as I showed her different tools and answered her questions. She watched as I did the stripping, tried out the tools, did some work on him.  We got about half way done when I suggested she leave him while I finish.  He was getting antsy and needed a break and I could work faster without her there.

She may or may not end up doing him herself. My guess is that she will until they are moved to Italy and really settled. Then she may start looking for someone there. Because she can manage the coat, she won't be in a hurry. 

Barb

• May 15, 2015 2:51 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

Since I groom at the owner's house or place of business, the owners are almost always there. I usually get, "I'm so glad you're doing this. This is a lot of work." With one couple owning two cats to be shaved, The husband remarked about how much it cost when it took me only 15-20 min. per cat. His wife might have hit him and shushed him, I was concentrating on the cat at the time. Sounded like a smack to me. I think I told him cats usually have a time limit of 15 to 30 min. Then you are done, just done. If you aren't fast, which takes experience and expensive tools, you won't be grooming cats safely and successfully. Wife was nodding in agreement the whole time and sending eye daggers to her hubby.

I think with watching me, the owners do pick up ways to keep up their pets, which is a huge bonus and they normally end up appreciating how much goes into grooming.

• May 15, 2015 5:36 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

I have had both good and bad experiences helping people do it themselves.  I like it when they express an intrest and are willing to invest in equipment. Some of  them do it them selves sometimes but come to me more often because they don't have the ability do get the result they want.  One gave me her almost brand new clipper which is now my 3rd reserve clipper.  

I had one bad experience with a Bichon owner who I took a lot of time with 3 years ago.  That one's a whole nother story.

• May 15, 2015 5:49 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

I inherited a few customers who were used to staying and helping with the groom. With one exception all of the dogs were fine and the. Humans were total wrecks. I actually scratched one man with my shears because he had the dog in a bear hug the whole time. I feel like grooming requires a certain amount of trust from the owner, and if they aren't willing to trust then I will give them some grooming tips and wish them luck.

Now I have a few people that groom at home 75% of the time and bring the dog in for the big stuff. I am totally happy to do that, since some of them can't afford every 6/8 weeks. But none of them stay for the groom, thankfully!
    • May 21, 2015 2:26 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

Well a year and a half later, this person has turned out to be one of my best customers, albeit a bit odd. The dog actually belongs to her very elderly mother who's very protective and doesn't like the dog cut too short in the Winter. So the daughter figures her mom will really only check the length of the hair on his back, so she has me groom him with a big mohawk going down his back and the rest of him short. And he has SIX dewclaws! - (double ones on the hind legs). She and her brother once made arrangements to have them all removed, so she went to pick up the dog for the vet appointment and found her mother sobbing..."No, don't do it! Those dewclaws aren't hurting him!" And lastly, I raised my prices by $5 last October, so now she always pays me (before the groom) with a check for the old amount and a 5-dollar bill in cash. Apparently, her mother would balk at the price increase, if she told her about it. And then she tips me after the groom. They're an odd family indeed, but very sweet and the dog has turned out to be an angel.

• May 21, 2015 2:37 PM CDT
    • I just had to laugh...

I did teach one other customer to groom her own dog. I groomed the dog while the owner sat in a chair and I explained everything I was doing. She was shocked that the dog kept trying to bite me. At one point I stupidly got my face too close to his and he bit me in the lip. And it wouldn't stop bleeding! But I pushed on and finished the groom - the owner felt really terrible about it. I told her I could do another training session with her where I sit in a chair and she grooms the dog with her own clippers and comb attachments. So, we did that six weeks later. I scissored one side of his face, and she scissored the other side. I scissored one foot and she did the rest. I was surprised at how much I  enjoy teaching. I called her six weeks later to see how it was going and she said it was going great, and she hasn't been back since.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel