Forums General Grooming Techniques
  • Topic: Skin Problem #2

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 21, 2013 6:35 PM CST
    • Skin Problem #2

I have this 13 year old Bichon that has warts (grow outside the skin) all over her body.  Along with that she has the yellow crusty stuff and some of the black scabby stuff that is really not a scab as it never seems to go away.  I know that all of you have dogs that have some of these things, but this poor Bichon has about 85-90% of her body covered in these things.  She even had a cluster of large warts on the stop of her face.  Those were removed in July and it does look much better.  It seems everytime I see her, approx. every 3 months, she has even more.  Vets tell the owner that there is little that can be done.....it is just something in her system. 

It is very hard to give her a nice looking haircut with all these bumps, but I think that I could give her a better looking cut if I could just get rid of the yellow crusty stuff.  What is the yellow crusty stuff and the black scab stuff?  Is there an easy way that I can get rid of the crusty stuff?  Should I take the time to get most of the crusty stuff off?  What shampoo should I use on her coat?  

Thank you for your help.

• November 21, 2013 7:59 PM CST
    • Skin Problem #2

The yellow crusty stuff could  be drainage from the warts, or it could be a secondary condition. If she is that covered with it, I don't think there's really anything that's going to help that much, without really over working already irritated skin. If you really want to try to work it off, I would have them get something from their Veterinarian. This way, if you use it according to directions, and it irritates it more somehow, it's not on you.

The dog has a medical condition and should really only  be 'treated' by a Vet or by his/her advice.

Some dogs, there is just only so much you can do. 

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• October 11, 2014 12:35 AM CDT
    • Skin Problem #2

I also have a baby, well 16, that has the same issue. Vet shsmpoo is what helpsvher. Once/week bath in her shampoo and a light mist of Ultra Vitalizing mist. I know the trimming isnt always pretty but, she is comfortable.
    • October 11, 2014 4:16 PM CDT
    • Skin Problem #2

I also have a baby, well 16, that has the same issue. Vet shsmpoo is what helpsvher. Once/week bath in her shampoo and a light mist of Ultra Vitalizing mist. I know the trimming isnt always pretty but, she is comfortable.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel