Forums General Creative Grooming Techniques
  • Topic: Korean or Japanese grooming

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 8, 2013 1:03 PM CST
    • Korean or Japanese grooming

I went to a seminar in Hershey given by Koko Tanaka. She was great! She had good pictures showing you side and back views, as well as the front views.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• December 8, 2013 8:29 PM CST

I do a fair amount of it. Most of what I have learned is just by studying pictures and trial and error in figuring out how to get those results. I went to the same seminar as Barb did and it was AWESOME!

• February 8, 2014 1:11 PM CST

I just started offering this too...how do you base your fees for this type of groom, I'm assuming you charge more then a really basic pet groom. So far I haven't had any clients ask for it but this is my daughter's dog Bentley

• February 8, 2014 1:39 PM CST

I charge exactly the same as I would for a regular groom. After the first few times, it doesn't take any longer than any other pet style I do. Same time = same price. In the beginning when I was still struggling a bit to learn things it would take me about 15 minutes extra per dog. But I did not charge that to the client because they were giving me the opportunity to learn and try something new.

• February 9, 2014 12:47 AM CST

Oh that's cute!

I would guess that a lot of clients haven't seen the look to request it.  I bet if you had some pictures to show them, you'd get some takers. The styles are very unique and most are adorable.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• June 22, 2014 12:19 PM CDT

I can not wait to be able to style dogs, everyone in my area wants one thing...the shave down...ugh not that I hate it, but I feel like I'm taking away all their personality!!!

• June 23, 2014 12:56 PM CDT

I got my very first request for this about a month ago. The owner said, "I like those pictures I see where the mouth is shaped like a football". :-) I said, "Oh, you mean Japanese grooming". She said, "Yes, that's it!" I was pretty excited about it and said, sure and she left. I get the dog to my table and realize, "wait a minute! - this isn't a poodle, it's a malte-poodle." I did the best I could with it, but of course, the shape didn't really stand up like it should. I called the owner and explained. She said, "Really?! We were convinced the breeder scammed us and gave us a pure poodle instead of a malte-poo. But you would know." Hopefully, I'll get this request again, but with a pure poodle some day, ha!

• June 24, 2014 8:17 PM CDT

Um, poodles are not the only breed that can be done in the Japanese style. Yorkies, Maltese, Shih-tzus, Schnauzers, . . . It's a certain 'style' and not a breed standard. So as long as you have the techniques, and develop the eye for it, you can apply it to any breed of dog.

• June 25, 2014 12:25 PM CDT

Yes, I understand you can do Japanese grooming on other breeds. What I meant was that I didn't think I could get that "football mouth" on a malte-poo to look like the pictures she'd been seeing on the Internet. I'm sure the pictures she saw were of pure poodles (like this picture below) because she thought her dog was pure poodle. Her malte-poo happens to be the same red color and maybe this is one of the pictures she found that made her think she wanted her dog to look like this. 

• January 22, 2015 2:28 PM CST

I am having a hard time with this because I was taught to groom to improve conformation.  so I am having a heck of a time making bulges on the dogs,, I also dont' really understand how to cut in the tops of the legs for those clients who dont' want the bodies shaved. Most of my people also want their dogs legs shorter than I like, because of grass and snow, etc.  The ears are cute like that, but I have not ONE dog who has hair that nice, or is there another trick to those poofy ears?

• January 22, 2015 2:41 PM CST

Asian style definitely does not improve conformation.  In fact, the only way it looks really good is looking at them from the front. When you look at the sides of the face it's not cute at all.

Barb

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:
    • January 23, 2015 5:59 PM CST

well I feel better now, that you say the body doesn't look so cute, I can do faces and keep the bodies the same, maybe. Do not believe I could do such a cute job as you dide wizard of Paws on that little dog. that is CREATIVE. how did you decide how to do that?

• January 23, 2015 6:32 PM CST

Thanks, Chilly. I just look at pictures of Asian trims from time to time and fix parts in my mind and try to see which elements of it would look good on a particular dog. I *try* to do the flaired legs on any clients I can--even doing a really short flair if I can get away with it. But some, I admit, I just do the face in this style. This is Libby. She is my favorite Asian Flair trim I do. She only comes in once every 8 weeks, her mom is so-so with the brushing, so I have to take her legs shorter than I would like to, but It's still a nice short Asian trim.

• January 24, 2015 10:47 AM CST

wizardofpaws, how did you get the hair to stand out like that on the muzzle (on the white yorkie)? That looks amazing! If I had done it, it would have laid down flat, even if I scissored it round.

• January 24, 2015 5:33 PM CST

I was going to put my daughters toy poodle in an asian trim the other day, but I didnt' like it. I ended up with her in a puppy show trim,and she is beautiful. I can't get my hand to do the short neck all the way around. I just get hot and sweaty thinking about taking off the fall on the back of her neck!

Wizard, that poodle is cute, how long do the ears stay in?  doesn't she shake her head?  

I do a lot of poodle faces like that, I do what we call Bichon heads on a lot of poodles, but that isn't as starkly different from what I am used to as the other photo of the red with the football stache,,,

• January 24, 2015 6:11 PM CST

When I went to the class, it was explained why they are trimmed so short on the bodies.

The culture there has very low furniture, often sitting on the floor. Because of that, the floors are kept spotless. It is very common for the dogs to wear clothes in the house, where ours wear clothes more when going outside. The clothing helps keep hair and debri out of the house. We all know how matted a dog with any real length of coat gets when they wear sweaters. So besides being cute, for them, it's practical. :)

Barb

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:
    • January 25, 2015 9:46 PM CST

Amysuz--I'm not sure if there is any special trick other than scissoring technique. You just cut in in the shape you want it to be. :-) There is no product or anything put in the coats. As with any grooming, of course, prep work is the best foundation. Make sure you have HV'd the hair all the way dry. It would be impossible to get the right look on any dog that has been cage dried. Other than that it's just a comb, curved shears, and thinners. It just takes practice. Libby's picture was one of the first Asian trims I ever did. Perhaps even THE first. Her look evolved to be a bit better (chin shorter, lines softer) than in that pic above. Poodles are pretty easy, though. Yorkies took me a LOT longer to be happy with, and they are still a work in progress for me. I have so many face pics I took for reference for myself. LOL!

Chilly--the ears don't stay very long. Perhaps a couple days. Libby has VERY fine hair so her ears get raggedy rather quickly. Her mom loves it though, even if it doesn't last. :-)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel