Forums Misc Topics Pet Owners: Ask The Groomer
  • Topic: Eyelashes

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 12, 2013 5:03 AM CST
    • Eyelashes

I've heard and read both ways on this issue.  From an online grooming school, they said that clipping the eyelashes opens up the eyes.  After watching them clip the eyelashes, it DOES in fact open the eyes. 

My question is, is this really okay?  Is it safe, or can it cause issues?  Or is it like plucking ear hair, some you do and some you don't?

Thoughts?

JT

• December 12, 2013 7:09 AM CST
    • Eyelashes

It's a personal preference on how the groomer and/or owner want the dog to look. I have dogs with huge long eyelashes because they are cute. It's usually Shih Tzu type dogs that have great lashes.  I don't tend to leave them on Poodles as it would take away from the look of the clean face and topknot.

I have never known it to cause issues to cut them.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• December 12, 2013 7:00 PM CST
    • Eyelashes

Yes, it's perfectly safe to clip eyelashes. I usually preserve them when they're a contrasting color to the rest of the face, so they really stand out and look pretty. And I agree with Barb - that's usually shih tzus and lhasas. Conversely, if the lashes are the same color as the rest of the head, they just look sloppy, and like you said, clipping them opens up the eyes.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel