Forums General Education Apprenticeship
  • Topic: Can a Highschooler get an Apprenticeship?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 4, 2014 9:49 PM CST
    • Can a Highschooler get an Apprenticeship?

I'm 16 and still in highschool as a Junior. I'm not sure if I can get an Apprenticeship yet but it'd be really helpful to start now. Would it depend on the Groomer or is there a specific requirement for apprentices because I know you have to have a highschool diploma but I'll be lacking that for another year as I am still in school.

Would you hire a highschooler as an apprentice?

• February 4, 2014 10:03 PM CST

Welcome to the GL :)
      It would depend on the groomer. Summer is a busy time of year for many of us. You might be able to get hired on as a bather. It would give you a chance to learn about the profession and see if its for you.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 5, 2014 10:51 AM CST

Yes, depends on the groomer. You have to find a place that perhaps needed someone to help out occasionally.

Spring break, Saturdays, etc.

Be prepared to start by cleaning and mixing shampoo, not touching the dogs much.

If you go in to see about a job, it would be helpful to have a resume of sorts, to list your experience with animals, your goals and your desire to work hard.

Also know you will most likely have to work for a while as a volunteer, the reason being so many people think grooming is one thing, then find out they are getting wet, and hairy, and cleaning poop and pee sometimes, that there is a lot of lifting and other things that do not really involve playing with dogs.

If you are willing to volunteer for a while, find out how long; until you master certain things?  a certain number of weeks or days or hours?  Be sure to have this made clear so you don't get taken advantage of.

I got an apprentice almost 2 years ago, she never wants to groom, just be a super bather and salon assistant.  I was not hiring, but she offered to volunteer.  She signed an agreement about working for competitors (saying she would not) and I told her that once she was able to master certain things, we would profit share with her.

after a week the other groomer and I began giving her money from our income for helping us.  We sort of "tipped" her out of our wages.

She loves it here and like I said has been here nearly 2 years, working off of our tips that we give her.  She does not drive so this gives her some spending money and something to do.  She is sick a lot so can't hold a regular job, but it is great for us all.

Your situation may vary but I just wanted you to know what to expect.

typically an Apprentice  of any sort does not get paid  You might want to reword it if you want to get paid.  And as well, you would most likely have to become a good bather/prep person before anyone would hand you a set of clippers, but WATCHING does not keep you from practicing on your own dogs.  

• February 11, 2014 5:59 PM CST

I agree with Barb and Chilly on finding out if what you think it will be IS what actually will be.  My teen daughter assisted for me and was unpleasantly suprised that I didn't just hand my clippers over to her or just let her hang out and play with the dogs all day.  She was very excited to make it her career until she went to work to assist for a few days, then reality hit her and she realized what I actually deal with on a daily basis.  She did stick it out and is a great assistant but if she wasn't working for her mother who wouldn't let her just quit she probably would have thrown in the pee drenched towel early on.  I certainly don't want to discourage you from persuing grooming as a career, it can be both rewarding/fulfilling and stressful/gross/exhausting.  It is a very physical job and a lot of what we do is not easy or fun.  But then after all the worst days and the learning and honing your skill, you will have dog hair slivers in places you never thought possible and a dried turd that somehow found it's way into the pocket of your smock along with a few nail clippings, your hair will be a mess die to the HV, and you will look at the dog on your table that you put your best into and get a swell of pride in your chest over your finished work, and it will all be worth it.  That first swell will fuel the obsession to learn more and do better, and then you will know that this is the career for you. :)

Talk to some local groomers near you and see if they would be interested in helping you out, it never hurts to ask!   

• The following users say thanks to megb for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel