Forums General Product Discussions/Comparisons Skin and Coat Products
  • Topic: Skin issues

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 5, 2014 9:28 AM CDT
    • Skin issues

Hi Gals,

I live in Florida.  Over the last several weeks, I've been getting a ton of customers with itchy dogs.  I'm seeing hot spots and flakey skin on dogs that (I know) the customer takes well care of.  Even my dogs are itchy, and I keep them well maintained (grooming, flea/tick prevention, etc.).  It's been suggested that it's all the pollen in the air, but I don't know what to do about it.  On my dogs, I've tried oatmeal and aloe, dandruff, and medicated shampoos, conditoners and sprays, but none of them work for more than a couple of days.  Any suggestions?

Thanks bunches

• April 6, 2014 8:42 AM CDT
    • Skin issues

If it is the pollen, it's likely an inhaled allergy rather than contact.

If that's the case, an antihistamine would probably give some relief.  If it's a contact reaction from pollen in the air or on the grass, frequent rinsing may help to wash it off. Every time they go back outside though, they would be in contact with more.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• April 7, 2014 11:46 PM CDT
    • Skin issues

Welcome to Florida. We have more weeds, pollens and bugs than any other place, I'm convinced. At certain times of year, the dogs go nuts itching. If their vet agrees, they can use a antihistimine and if that doesn't help, the vet can prescribe things or give a allergy shot.

Bathing them often in good shampoo and rinsing them super well seems to help somewhat. A lot of owners will start bathing their dogs at home, without diluting the thick shampoos and leave residue on the dog which makes them itch even more. Make sure that's not the issue.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel