Forums General Grooming Techniques Deshedding
  • Topic: Long haired German Shepherd

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 27, 2012 7:24 AM CST
    • Long haired German Shepherd

Whats the best way to go about grooming this kind of dog?
      A very Large long haired German Shepherd. Maybe gets a bath 2 times a year.
      Bath times 2 / use a good pin brush/ Blow out dead hair/ use a Mars king coat
      to pull out undercoat? what do you use around the dogs britches/butt area?

Thanks
      Anne
    • February 27, 2012 7:27 AM CST

I do 99% of my deshedding with my HV dryer. You do have to be a bit patient. I find the coat doesn't release until the dog is near dry, then WATCH OUT!

Wear a mask and plan for a mess, but it's sure easier than brushing and combing.  If the coat is at the point where it is ready to shed out, after the HV, I might spend 15 minutes doing a final comb out.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:
    • February 27, 2012 8:02 AM CST

For those big hairies we bathe with a recirculating bather, twice if they are really dirty. Sometimes I will brush or rake with one hand while using the bather with the other hand. It's amazing what will come out if the coat is in a shed cycle. Then rinse. We finish with Quadraped All in one leave in conditioner.  Sometimes I'll use the slicker brush some more at that time on the britches or ruff if I still feel resistance in the coat when I pull the brush through. I figure the more I get out while in the tub will be the less hair that goes airborne with the HV. 

We towel dry then either let them air dry for awhile in a kennel or start the HV while still in the tub. 
      I perfer doing big hairies in the warm weather so they can go in the outside runs and let the sun and wind dry them. Then I go over them with the HV to get the rest of the hair out. Line brush (It's easy at this point) then line comb till you can get through the coat with a fine tooth comb. THEN use the Coat King, FURminator. 

Because you can never have too much of a goat thing.

• February 27, 2012 8:07 AM CST

I agree with Barb I also do 99% of my deshedding with my HV. Do not chew gum while doing this! I still make that mistake and I am pretty much chewing on hair. I usually thin a little and use my rake before then use the HV before I get the dog wet and then go in and get messy. I enjoy the big long haired shepards its messy but a lot of fun. My clients usually like me doung the F,H,P trim britches, thin out and trim underneath with a loght hyg with the 10. That is what I usually do and thats what the clients coem back for. Good Luck and have fun!

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Matthew 7.7 

• February 27, 2012 8:30 AM CST

*F,H,P trim britches, thin out and trim underneath with a loght hyg with the 10*

I am not sure what this means?

So you wouldn't use a Coat king?
      Would you use thinning shears around Britches to thin out that area?
      What would you use to thin out / trim underneath?

thanks anne 

• February 27, 2012 9:33 AM CST

F/H/P would be "feet/hiney/pants" to me. So trim the feet, sanitary and feathering on the back end(pantaloons). But since it ALSO says "trim britches" the P may refer to something else.

I would deshed, trim up the feathering, do a sanitary and perhaps thin any areas that really seemed like it needed it. Unless it's obvious the dog got a comb clip before, I wouldn't assume it should be done now. You can always take more hair off later, you can't put it back, especially on a shepard.

Where'd you get the note of cryptic instructions?

• February 27, 2012 9:43 AM CST

***tegansheavenlypaws23 has posted a reply to your topic "Long haired German Shepherd":  F,H,P trim britches, thin out and trim underneath with a loght hyg with the 10**

anne

• February 27, 2012 10:09 AM CST

Oh sorry. F,H,P around here is a very common term. It means feet, hocks, pasterns.

Meaning shave pads, round feet and trim hair in between toes and take the 5, 7, or 10 blade either against the grain or with to the hocks and pasterns. That is one of the most common grooms here in central Ohio. That gets done on shepards, aussie, borders, golden, shelties, cavs, springers, ect. Trim underneath I take my long curves and get all the straigly hairs and the take my 10 and do a light hygenic. Poeple here love the groom cus in the summer the drag less mud and in the winter they drag in less snowballs while keeping the coat more natural. I always forget that all groomers have thier own abbreviations. Some people might hate this groom but I have done it a lot in the pass 6 years and learned it in grooming school. I don't have a coat king :( but want one. All the people I worked for owned a couple. So yes use that thing like crazy it will be perfect.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Matthew 7.7 

• February 27, 2012 10:26 AM CST

Thank you tegansheavenlypaws23 for the clarification!

*Oh sorry. F,H,P around here is a very common term. It means feet, hocks, pasterns*

Thanks for all the tips everyone !

Anne

• February 27, 2012 12:19 PM CST

I too use the HV for most double coated breeds. Re-mo can help alot with these. The hair won't move out until dry though, so keep HVin! I love doing these and although I wear goggle, mask, Dew rag and Ear plugs it looks more like a Haz Mat suit to my other clients. I do use one more tool that I think is a MUST doing these dogs and I couldn't do it without it, and that's Ultra Wash Shampoo! I don't know if it's the peppermint oil that's in it or what but if they ever quit making it, I'm done grooming!

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein

• February 27, 2012 3:00 PM CST

If you want to be able to groom for many years, minimize your brushing and combing as much as possible.  Brushing in the tub when soapy or full of conditioner cuts down on it and using your HV drier to move that coat does too.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 28, 2012 3:29 PM CST

Another question: how often should a dog like this be thoroughly deshedded? Does it really only need to be done twice a year, or should it be done more often to maintain a healthy coat?

• February 28, 2012 5:18 PM CST

A lot of the clients I have had with this type of dog usually comes in once every few months. I do a medium haired shepard every 6 weeks. It makes it easier on us if they come in on a regular basis.

• February 28, 2012 9:16 PM CST

I tell people a minimum of four times a year. That makes sense to them - groom at the change of the seasons. I've found it I can get them to come at least that often they begin to think groomed is"normal" and they often ask to have the dog done more frequently. 

Because you can never have too much of a goat thing.

• February 29, 2012 8:30 AM CST

I just dont' even do them anymore, it takes me so long to clean up I can't price them high enough to make it worth it.

But when I did, I combed them all in the tub wetting first and applying conditioner, combing and raking with conditioner, then shampoo with a 2 in one and combing again while it was on them, then shampooing with quick dry, then towel & force dry til the hair let loose, comb again, and then cage dry.

I then brushed them, I did not use the HV dryer to remove the hair.  It is so loud and takes so long and makes such a mess. 

So no method made it worth my while.  It took me about 2 1/2 hours, how long does it take you all?  I could not even have another client arrive when I was doing this, it made such a mess. They basically shut my salon down when those dogs came.

• March 1, 2012 6:04 AM CST

For the really hairies, I HV while the shampoo is in, then again after conditioning. This massively cuts down on any brushing I need to do, and on the amount of hair that lets lose with the HV after kennel drying. I always wear a mask.

• March 3, 2012 12:50 PM CST

Best Shot shampoo and their Replenish spray afterwards.  Most big dogs don't fit in tub so can't use bathing beauty Cry but love it when they do.   Blow off heavy water, spray spray with Replenish, then into crate to dry with fan for about 30 min or so and then back out, on table and more Replenish and then HV the h*** outta them and brush.   Yes, it is a mess, a major hairstorm, but usually surprises me to find out they are finished in under 2 hours, easier than Cocker Spaniels, dry very fast and trimming takes very little time.  Now that is for the agreeable ones, won't even mention the ones that nails and feet trimming become a major tug of war or more, then thank goodness for LIPS knockoff and Groomer's Helper.

I do schedule them as the last groom of the day, with hope that all dogs besides them have gone home and clean up is a pain since I have the shop (find hair for days afterwards) and the shower/bathroom to clean and all the extra towels.  So that is why I don't charge 25 beans for this groom.

And before anyone goes home I can run a comb through their entire coat from head to tail.  That makes me smile.

• April 18, 2012 6:48 AM CDT

When at all possible, I bathe first. It is so much easier on my equipment and me to work on a clean dog.

Barb

• April 18, 2012 6:32 PM CDT

Yes, what Barb said. 

First I would find out WHY they want him shaved. If it's a 'shedding' thing I usually try to convince them just to get on a de-shedding maintenence plan to keep the amount of hair down. Sans that or if the dog is a total wreck (i.e. matted) then I almost always bathe first--especially if they don't want him nekkid. For long hair or double coated types I try to go with an #0 reverse. It gives a nice 'plush' short look, does not "look shaved". 

However if it is just a "get him as short as you possibly can" buzz situation then I just bust it down real quick with a #5 skip tooth, taking just what will easily come off off, spending no more than about 5-10 min during the pre-shave and then bathe the rest.

Clear as mud?

• May 18, 2012 11:30 PM CDT

I mainly do my de-shedding in the tub. I scrub the shampoo in with my hands then brush the coat then use a HV dryer to loosen the coat brushing as I go. Wash them about 3 times repeating the process. Then I condition with the Furminator de-shedding solution conditioner. scrub and brush that in let it sit for 5 minutes then  wet blow dry. Brush with the final rinise or comb with short haired dogs. then dry 90% of the way with a HV dryer.

It takes me about 3 to 4 hours to do this

I suggest to my clients to come in every 6 weeks regardless of what they get done. 

I use a Walh #2  stainless steal comb to do the privates and glide with the comb to trim the back end, hand scissor hocks and inbetween toes,shave pads.

I try not to shave double coated dogs. If they want a cut I use my double duck combs to style what they like. If they want a shave I make sure they realize  that it damages the coat and it doesnt grow back properly, but if they still want it I use a #7FC blade 

• June 17, 2012 5:25 PM CDT

Back when I DID do large, hairy dogs, Shepards, Huskies, etc.  were usually done in 1-2 hrs.  Newfies, Pyr, etc. were usually done in 2-3 hours, sometimes LESS.   Shelties, Aussies, etc.  were around 1- 1/2 hrs.  My usual M.O. would be to put the dog straight into tub and start bathing with my Hydrosurge.  Of course, the water would always be filthy almost immediately, so I would just keep letting the dirty water drain and refilling with fresh.  I would brush with a Les Pooch brush while running the soapy water through the coat.   I didn't bother to rinse between each water change.  Only after the water quit being so nasty, would I put on my mask and start HVing with the soap still in the coat (I call it a soapy blow).  When I quit hair and soap out of the coat, I would rinse well and then run Nature's Specialties Remoisturizer through the Hydrosurge, again, brushing to remove more loose hair.  At this time, I would usually try to switch up tools, trying the metal Oster undercoat rake and a wide toothed comb.   Blow again with remo still in coat, then rinse well.  Lastly, I would run some NS Quicker Slicker through the Hydrosurge as a leave in conditioner and then blow the heck out of it.  Usually, by the time I started the ACTUAL blow dry, there was very little undercoat left to remove, and what mats were still there were either shaved out, or thinned using a dematting rake, depending on which was more appropriate at the time.  

• June 18, 2012 6:58 AM CDT

Chewing gum with a big hairy shepherd , did that the other day. You think I would have learn by now ,after 30 years, not to chew gum when blowing out a large hairy dog. LOL

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel