Forums General General Groomers Chat Misc
  • Topic: Raw Diets - That felt good

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 27, 2012 2:51 PM CST
    • Raw Diets - That felt good

I've fed my crew raw for over 2 years. Those of you that feed it know that many people, Veterinarians included, are not knowledgable about it, therefor disagree with it.

Because of that, it's not something I've talked about a lot at work. I don't hide it, but we just don't have many discussions about it.

Today, my boss/Veterinarian asked me to come into the exam room to talk with a client. The woman had asked the Dr's opinion on raw diets. Having no experience, or knowledge about them, she called me in to talk to her and answer her questions.

THAT felt good! I was impressed that not only did she trust and respect what I do, but that she did not immediately talk against something she didn't know about.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:
    • February 27, 2012 3:49 PM CST

That is a Feel Good situation!  Congrats to the Vet for Knowing she/he 
      does not have experience with Raw Food and for referring the client
      to you Who does have the experience to share!!

anne

• February 27, 2012 3:50 PM CST

That's fantastic Barb! That had to have you dancing inside huh? Speaks volumes for your Vet that she values your opinion and knowledge of such a specialized area.

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein

• February 27, 2012 4:06 PM CST

Yes it really made me feel good that she thought enough of my knowledge to have me go talk to her. :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 27, 2012 4:11 PM CST

I don't feed prepackaged raw. I feed prey model - 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organs. That is the balance I strive for over time, not at every feeding.

For prey model, you start with 2-3% of the dog's ideal body weight, then adjust if the dog gains or loses weight. Like people, all dogs are different with their activity level and how much food they need to maintain proper weight.

How do your dogs look on the 6 oz per 8 lbs?  

Barb

• February 27, 2012 4:18 PM CST

That is awesome, Barb!! 

I recently lost respect for one of the vets at work when, during a lunchroom discussion about an allergy case she's handling, I mentioned trying a raw diet and she flat out refused, saying she'd rather send the dog to have skin samples taken at a vet college 5 hours away. Being so close-minded does not make a good vet, IMO.

Kudos to yours!! 

• February 27, 2012 4:32 PM CST

I've learned that Veterinarians practive medicine, not nutrition.  If they had any formal nutrition training, they would not sell Science Diet foods.  

Barb

• February 27, 2012 4:58 PM CST

*Barb wrote:

I don't feed prepackaged raw. I feed prey model - 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organs. That is the balance I strive for over time, not at every feeding.*

Well I have only been feeding them Packaged Raw for about 3 mo. and the first mo and 1/2 was spent just weaning them over.  They have gained almost 1 lb.. but I kinda blame the combination of kibble and raw they were getting. How often would you suggest to weigh them? If I went by their level of hunger I think they could become way over weight. They love the Raw and could eat so much more.

anne

• February 27, 2012 5:10 PM CST

My guess is they probably gobble the patties. Eating fast generally leaves them feeling less satisfied. When you feed real meat, they have to work at it. They tear and chew and work their teeth and their jaws. They get good physical and mental stimulation and will feel fuller since it takes longer to eat dinner.

How do they look? Do they have waists or are they little sausages with legs?

Barb

• February 27, 2012 6:10 PM CST

This is the one thing I hate about grooming at a vet clinic. The vets and the techs and the other workers swear by stupid science diet. I have gotten in arguments befoer with them. They say dogs need corn. I swear by the grain free diet. I feed Taste of The Wild and love it. I want to do raw but can't afford it for my 2 border collies. My cats are on science diet right now because Bonzo blocked fro the 2nd time :( but it was'nt the food, I was making organic treats at Christmas time to sell and my pets were the taste testers and he got to eat a lot of things and my cats don't get treats or people food. Hopefully you vet will keep having you talk and educate people. Vets also do not care about the greasy skin and just thinks meds will help but as we all know, just change the food and the pets' skin is usually better.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Matthew 7.7 

• February 27, 2012 6:24 PM CST

Sorry I feel like I am hijacking your thread. If you want you/I

could move/start another thread.

Your guess is Right they gobble the patties! No they don't look like

little sausages with legs yet.. And they do still have a waist as of today!

Anything I can do to help them feel more full ? add a raw bone? Is there a type

of Raw bone they could have every day.?

thanks

Anne

• February 27, 2012 8:14 PM CST

I've never fed the patties, so I can't be much help offering advice with them. Have you considered going with prey model, real raw and not premade? With larger pieces, they won't be gulping and will get more satisfaction from their meals.

As for raw being expensive, it can be done for as much if not less than feeding a high quality kibble.  You just have to watch your sales. Chicken leg quarters can often be found for 59 cents a pound in 5 and 10 lb bags.  The meat dept early in the morning often has stuff marked way down because it's at its sell buy date.  If you know anyone who hunts, they often get rid of last year's deer to make room in the freezer for this year's deer.

Barb

• February 27, 2012 8:44 PM CST

tegansheavenlypaws23 said:

This is the one thing I hate about grooming at a vet clinic. The vets and the techs and the other workers swear by stupid science diet. I have gotten in arguments befoer with them. They say dogs need corn. I swear by the grain free diet.

I won't argue with anyone at the clinic over what they tell their clients unless it is about grooming. My job is to groom. They stay out of my interactions with the clients and I stay out of theirs. :)

While I don't consider nutrition medical, I keep all medical opinions (including nutrition) to myself unless asked. I don't see it being my place. Now if a client asks me about what they feed, I suggest they visit a few websites and learn how to read a dog food label. I would never tell them flat out that what they feed is crap and I would not, out of respect for the clinic, tell them the Science Diet is crap. I only try to give the owner the resources to educate themselves, just as I have had to do.

Barb

• February 28, 2012 6:45 AM CST

Matisse you may be able to stave some  of that off by adding another food to them in conjunction with your patties. The Honest Kitchen does a freeze dried raw for almost every situation. You have to reconstitute it with water and it looks like a pile of doo but my dogs love it. I used to feed raw like Barb and wish I still could but time allocation and obtainning good quality bones and raw ingredients is my problem here. HK makes a solution for every problem I believe. Your store that carries raw may carry it or you can Google their site. 

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein

• February 28, 2012 12:36 PM CST

I started to feed raw, I was previously feeding brown rice and ground chicken that I cooked myself, only trouble is my border terrier started throwing up I used the chicken legs and other parts, liver etc.  anybody else have these problems?  Thanks Pat

• February 28, 2012 12:49 PM CST

Most raw diets need to be fed at room temp. Did you cook the chicken as well? Mine also HATE rice, they hate,hate,hate it and will spit it out piece by piece. Yams have always been a good add for mine and they love em. 

• February 28, 2012 1:09 PM CST

Ok, I'm totally intrigued by raw feeding. I have a couple questions though. I'd like to feed raw but not totally protien, don't mind some carbs if it is not grains.What type of meal would you put together? Also still pretty lerry of bones. I know raw doesn't splinter but I'd like to start into this raw feeding program slowly and am not comfortable with all of it yet. So could I feed for example boneless chicken thighs with yams(sweet potatoes) or green beans or peas and maybe some fruit like blueberries and if I added a grain it would be rice(don't think I would though). Would that be a good example of a healthy meal?

• February 28, 2012 1:24 PM CST

Dogs are carnivores. They don't need vegetables, fruits or grains. Their digestive system isn't built for them.

Barb

• February 28, 2012 2:16 PM CST

Barb, I know your right but I'm not there yet (baby steps) lol! I'm just at the point of trying to improve on my dogs diet from commercial kibble and canned foods. I wish I had the guts but don't feel comfortable yet with the prey diet for a hoist of different reasons (practicality,mess,bones, convenience,feeding the right proprotions ect...) hopefully my journey will take me in that direction. Rubymom, I went to the Honest Kitchen and think this is the direction I want to go for now. Thanks for info. I like that it is not produced in pet food processing plants a big reason for me wanting to change. The convenience of just reconstituting it with water is nice, I just hope the nutritional value is not lost with the frezze drying.

• February 28, 2012 2:59 PM CST

I am not at all trying to change your mind, I just wanted to address some of your concerns.

Mess?  None really.  I have a few items I feed outside. Trachea is very bloody and that goes outside. Whole Talapia stink so they go outside with those. Otherwise they eat in the kennels or their corners depending on the day.

Convenience?  This morning I took out a few packages of meat out of the fridge and set them in the sink. In a few hours I will open the packages and give it to the dogs. Sometimes they are fully thawed, sometimes a bit frozen. The dogs don't care at all either way. On the occasion I forget to do that, I can run to the grocery store's meat dept and get them dinner.  It was not that easy when I was feeding high end kibble.  There was no place here that sold it.  I had a minimum 30 minute drive to get anything semi decent.

Bones? In over 2 years, feeding my 5, my sister's 4, my daughter's 2 as well as 3 of my cats and 2 of my daughter's, we have never had an issue with bones. I did have a foster puppy almost choke and die.  Seriously, almost die. He was eating kibble and was gulping I guess?  A couple pieces lodged in his throat. He could not breathe. I had to turn him upside down, then stick my fingers in his throat to get them out. So there's danger everywhere....  The bones are also important for calcium and phospherous. (which I'm sure I spelled wrong! lol)

Barb

• February 28, 2012 4:04 PM CST

ugh! I really need to read through my posts better before hitting the reply button. I ment host not hoist. Thanks Barb for your insight on feeding raw it has given me alot to think about. I am on a mission to improve my dogs diets and have been reading some on the benefits of raw. They are on wellness super 5 mix dry, the only reason they are not on core is because they have trouble with high protien and high fat not sure which one because higher protein usually comes with higher fat, So I'm not sure what the protein and fat content would be with raw. Like percentages? They also get a no grain canned food on top of the kibble. Three have beards and I am concerned with the mess of raw in terms of their beards. I have to wash beards now after they eat so no real big deal there but I only have to rinse them. I have grandkids that vist alot and I'm concerned with how sanitary it is, I know I'm careful about cleaning the counters when I'm making chicken so I wonder how contaminated their beards would be after feeding raw and how thorough I'd have to be with cleaning beards? I know I sound like a germ a phobe but I'm really not,lol! I just wouldn't run around  the house with a raw chicken wing rubbing it on my carpeting and furniture and that is what I picture my dogs beards doing. We will have a new baby in the house in May(my daughters) so that is part of my concern when it comes to contamination from the raw. If I have mis-spelled something again you all can just ignore it and I will too,haha!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel