Forums General Seminar Information Competing
  • Topic: Thinking about competing . . .

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 27, 2012 8:37 PM CST
    • Thinking about competing . . .

I have not done any grooming competitions before but I think I might want to give it a try. I have shown dogs for a long time but my breed I guess can't be competed with probably due to lack of scissoring lol (Bearded Collies)

I have a little experience (~1 year) working for a Poodle handler and I learned some basic scissoring there but I am not GREAT at it. I have a Bichon client that comes in every two weeks, she is a retired show dog and might be perfect as a competition dog because she has good coat and we keep her in a show Bichon look.

This photo is her done most recently, I am trying to grow out her head and crest but I'd like to know if this quality would be acceptable for a first time competition groom? Her owner gave me permission to take her to Superzoo in Sept so I'd like to be ready by then. Any tips or suggestions for a first timer?

• February 27, 2012 8:49 PM CST

I don't compete. I am far too backward to get up in front of a bunch of people and do it. I did good to certify!  ;)

I have so much respect for those that do it though. I really do.

That said, have you gone to any of the competitions to scope out the work? Or maybe check out the show sites webpages. They usually have lots of contest pictures posted. That would give you an idea of what is being done in the rings.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 27, 2012 8:52 PM CST

You're better at Bichons than I am & I'm going to Superzoo (but with a poodle). I think you are on the right track. I can't wait to see how you do in Vegas :-) see you there.
    • February 27, 2012 8:54 PM CST

There is a FB page called critique your groom, look there for some good pics
    • February 29, 2012 5:05 PM CST

I have competed a few times and it is so much fun!!! more then anything I go for the critiques after the competition is all over.

Read everything you can, ask people for help.

Go to learn!!

• March 1, 2012 11:19 PM CST

I went to Superzoo the last 2 years and I just recently went to Groom and Kennel Expo in February. I was busy with the seminars so I didn't really get much of a chance to sit and watch the competitions. Between now and October what should I be doing to prepare? Are there any people in my area (Los Angeles) that compete that might be able to critique my work in person? All I know about grooming is what I've taught myself and learned from the handlers I worked for, I never really had any formal lessons or grooming school so I want someone to look at my dog and say "you need to work on ____."

• March 6, 2012 11:50 AM CST

" I am trying to grow out her head and crest but I'd like to know if this quality would be acceptable for a first time competition groom? "

Are you asking about the quality of the dog or the quality of the groom? It's hard to judge the groom because you can't see the whole face from the picture. Just look at lots of pictures of show bichons on the Net (Facebook is a great resource for photos) and see if your bichon groom looks like those pictures. Your question sounds like you think that just because it's a "first time competition groom" that you can get away with a lower quality groom. I wouldn't make that assumption unless you really don't care if you win or lose, and you just want the experience. I'll bet other first-time competition groomers will have bichons that look darn near perfect. To the competitors out there: am I wrong? 

• March 7, 2012 7:23 AM CST

I was watching the Poodle class in Atlanta. It was obvious which ones were first timers. Many people compete to get the critiques, improve, and move up.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• March 7, 2012 1:01 PM CST

While there is some difference between the first timer grooms and those in open (and there should be!) you do have some pretty awesome grooms in the beginner class.  I am sure they don't stay there long, but you should not compete thinking "is this good enough".  I've competed couple times and constantly worked to improve my grooms all the way up to the competition, never wondered if they were good enough, but knew they were my best work.  As for my experiences competing, sorry can't say they were good.  Would I try again?  Have thought about it.  Perhaps I'll keep giving it a try until I get the "respect/treatment" I feel I deserve as a competitor, then I'll say "Yes! I did it!" and quit.

• June 23, 2013 8:42 AM CDT

I just completed my first ever competition at PetQuest with my standard poodle. Been grooming 20 years but first competition. The girl who took first in the entry level class did an AWESOME job on her mini poodle. Prepare for lots and lots of practice. Big thing is find out how much time you have to groom the dog. Back in March I did a hands on seminar with Lisa Leady. Spent 2 days grooming my dog. I thought she looked really good. In the contest ring I had 2 hrs and 15 min. Not so good. A groomer friend said Hershey is 13 weeks away. (She does the Rescue Roundup) So now I want to come up with a strategy on getting more hands on help with my groom. Also doing her every 2 weeks or so and trying to get her in an awesome groom in 2 hrs and 15 min. Hershey in Sept., NEPGP in Oct., Intergroom next April here we come. I did accomplish my 2 goals I set for myself and my dog. I got up and competed and my dog did great, like she had been doing it all her life. Think she started falling asleep while I worked on her back end and she was great with all the dogs, elevators, walking around the trade show and all the people that wanted to pet her. 

• June 23, 2013 10:06 PM CDT

Congratulations for getting in the ring!  How relaxed she was about it says a lot about how comfortable you made her feel being out and about and doing something so different. 

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel