Forums General Breed Styles Non Traditional Trims
  • Topic: Critiques please! :D

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 8, 2014 2:49 PM CDT
    • Critiques please! :D

Here Are Some of my latest Befores and Afters! ALL ADVISE and pointers welcomed and Apperciated! Heres a cutie who wasn't feeling being groomed today !!! (hence the right side of his nose XD kept biting so I said Health over Vanity !) He is usally very good but today wasn't vibing it! 

• September 9, 2014 6:37 AM CDT

Your clipper work is great.

On the first one, I ususally take my blenders to the area just in front of the ear, right at the top. It's a spot that usually looks great until you're all done, then they shake and you can see the harsh line.

I'd neaten more on the Yorkie feet. Brush up and scissor over the top of the foot, then tight around the sides.

The schnauzer looks great. What sometimes works for under the tail is to let them sit at the very edge of the table. Then you can hold the tail (as they often try to sit when you do it anyway) and clip it while its hanging over the edge. You can also pull the skin around to get what's on the underside too.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• September 9, 2014 12:08 PM CDT

Aww thanks Barb ! I always look forward to your feedback! Blenders!! Gah *face Palm* of course!! Barb I'm so bad with feet ...I feel like I will never learn lol!!! She was screaming whenever I touched them so I was like okay you win! Lol I really want a sling I think it may help! Would it have the same effect if I used the blade in reverse up the foot? Or should I only use scissors?! Ahh yes ! They do like to sit lol like nah nah nah nah can't touch this!!! Haha what a great tip! I will be trying this next time :D I was just happy he let me do his  face this time without biting lol he wants to eat me...in till we are done then we are sorta friends...then he comes back all happy and wiggly! Haha silly guy!  

• September 9, 2014 2:55 PM CDT

If she was screaming, then you did a fine job on them. :)

I've tried a sling a few times. I didn't find it to help all that much really.

On a short trim, skimming in reverse on the top of the feet might work. The important thing is to brush up all the hair, from the toenails towards the leg, to pull all the long hairs up from betwee the toes. Then scissor tight around the outside of the foot.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:
    • September 11, 2014 3:15 PM CDT

I did my first doodle.. she was super sweet , but really matted the tail was a compleate matt :( I was worried what id find under there luckily the tail was in good shape even tho the hair wasn't . anyways I have alot to improve on but any tips and pointers are wellcomed also the nose was a matt. 

• September 11, 2014 4:07 PM CDT

So My main issue , is feet and legs ... i know how to do them like in my head.. and then i go to do it and it doesnt work?!?!.. how do you hold the legs like with pictures if possible XD cause im dumb LOL

• September 11, 2014 4:25 PM CDT

Your feet are looking much better!

I usually hold the legs out - extended  back behind for the rear legs and pulled forward for the front. You want to make sure you have it held in a position that is natural for the dog. You don't want to go straight out to the side on a front leg, but instead you can bring it forward and then out if you need a different angle.

I'll also do some of the work with the dog standing. It depends on where I'm at, the coat, the trim and the dog.

If you're having trouble with sticky outs on the legs, be sure you are brushing up, then clipping, brush up, then clip, you may need to do it a couple of times. If there are still some stragglers or a coat that just isn't clipping nicely, you can change to a blade or two longer and click the legs against the lay of the coat - go up instead of clipping down.

As for the Doodle. Their coats are usually awful and they matt really easily. They just don't always clip smoothly when the coat is really matted.

Barb

• September 11, 2014 6:56 PM CDT

I still don't feel like my feet are right *sigh* lol Idk if ill ever get it !! But maybe they are less bad haha, doodle fur yucky! This one had poodle coat look, with lab texture....I wanted to do the face with a beard but her beard was a Matt so we went poodle with it. It's a number 5 blade I think if it was a ten maybe it would look smoother ? Idk lol i spent 4 hrs. Just getting her to this point great dog though very sweet. Just weird fur.... any doodle shave down pointers /pictures Barb?!

• September 12, 2014 4:00 PM CDT

A 10 on her face or her body? Personally, I'd only do a 10 on the body if no other blade would get under the matting. It's just a little too short for me.

4 hours was a long time to spend on her. I would bathe first and rinse rinse rinse rinse and rinse again. I would use some kind of detangling/dematting leave on spray and work it well into the coat. Then I would towel really well and put into a kennel on more towels to drip dry for awhile.

When she was damp,  but not dry, I would get her out and use an HV dryer. I'd use the dryer near the skin to push the matting up a bit, giving more space for a blade to get under the matts. Once completely dry, the shaving should be pretty easy.

Barb

• September 13, 2014 9:06 AM CDT

Her face matting was pretty bad, but if she comes in next time I'm gonna try more blades maybe a seven could have got though!!_ her body is a five blade !!!!!! think I was having fun working on her cause she's so pretty!!!! I kept trying to get her to look smooth...but her coat texture was unlike anything I've worked on before lab hair in a poodle curl?! Lol anyways she was terrified of the :/ dryer  so needed kennel dry which didn't help my smooth clipping lol next time ill try to plug her ears or something :P ill try a 3 on her coat next time maybe? And not give her a poodle face give her a doodle face :) 

• February 22, 2016 7:44 PM CST

Something which helps, and works well with really matted coats.  Bathe first. Bathe and rinse really well, then apply a leave-in type conditioner and rinse it through the coat.  Don't rinse it out!  ;-D  This works best with a recirculating bathing system.  Blot the wet coat, then HV to push the matts away from the skin.  Put the dog on the table wet.  Then shave, with whatever you can get through the coat.  A little scary, I know.  You may still have some matting to deal with after the dog is dry, but you should find that you are actually able to finish the dog with a blade, or even a guard, that is two or three steps longer than what you used to remove the coat originally.  Works really well on doodles, poodles, and those rotten thick cocker coats.  BTW, I seldom rough in a dog before bathing anymore, unless it has be so neglected for so long that drying the accumulated rug will take longer than the inital shavedown.

• The following users say thanks to dragonbrn for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel