Forums General Breed Styles Drop coats - Lhasa, Shih Tzu, Maltese, Yorkie, etc
  • Topic: Jasper the Shih Tzu, pet owner grooms

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 28, 2014 3:03 PM CST
    • Jasper the Shih Tzu, pet owner grooms

It looks like you are doing a great job. I think it's wonderful when owners do some or all of their pet's grooming. It's a great bonding time and really keeps you aware of coat, skin or other health issues.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• January 3, 2015 8:03 AM CST

Thanks AmySuz. I enjoy it, and his hair is comb-able right down to the skin everywhere. I do some shaving under the ears, under the armpits, inside backlegs, sanitary areas, and make sure to have his paw pads clean between his toes. The hair likes to matt in those areas first. But he is very good and he enjoys it as I have made it a good thing since I got him at 8 weeks old.

He is funny about getting his nails cut - I have to put him on his back to do them, otherwise he struggles and the hair gets in the way of me seeing the quick. My cats used to just sit on my lap to get their nails done, but not him. Plus he has curly tight to the leg dew-claws and half of his nails are black.

If I was going to go back to school, it would be for dog grooming. There is so much to learn that I don't know, and I admire how groomers can transform a scraggy matted mess into a happy, comfortable, clean and cute dog.

• January 15, 2015 7:29 PM CST

I too, have a shih tzu. Your little buddy is a real cutie. I like to cut my boy a little shorter, but your cuts look great! If I went back to school, dog grooming would certainly be on the top of my list! :)
    • January 17, 2015 7:36 PM CST

Thank you, missbee and Brahmadog. :)

Missbee, your Shih Tzu in your avatar is adorable.

Brahmadog, agility looks really fun. I keep intending to sign up for a class one day and see if Jasper likes it. Looks like your dog is having fun.

Best wishes,

Lisa

• December 29, 2015 9:30 AM CST

That is a nice length.  :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• December 29, 2015 9:38 AM CST

Thanks Barb. I think it makes him look younger, plus it's easier to keep his face clean. If it gets longer he starts looking like an Ewok or a little old man. He just turned 9 in November. :)

Lisa

• December 29, 2015 11:51 AM CST

I would have never guessed 9 !!!  Great job on giving him a wonderful, healthy home!

Barb

• The following users say thanks to Zoomom for this useful post:
    • August 9, 2016 2:27 PM CDT

Just an updated photo. My little guy is going to be 10 in November, but he's still going strong on his raw diet. He loves his food! He takes some chronic brochitis meds, liver and joint supplements and has quite the heart murmer, but he is still happy, playful, loving and smarter than is good for him sometimes! His teeth are still in great shape, too. :)

• The following users say thanks to Crystal for this useful post:
    • August 9, 2016 2:48 PM CDT

All my cats and dogs are raw fed. The difference is amazing from when I kibble fed. :)

Barb

• September 10, 2016 7:53 AM CDT

I totally agree, Barb. Raw feeding is the best thing for them.
      Jasper is also raw fed and grain free. I can't imagine how pink he'd be if he was a kibble-fed dog. He won't even take a biscuit. He wants dehydrated meats, haha.
      The only junk he eats are pill pockets as he is a very bad pill-taker and I can't be fighting with him twice a day to get his meds inside him. They have wheat and corn in them.
      If you have any ideas for an alternative, please let me know. He got tired of cheese slices very quickly and is too smart to stick it inside a chicken heart. He chews it up and spits out the pills.
      Thanks!
      Lisa
    • September 10, 2016 7:57 AM CDT

Well shoot. I was going to recommend the chicken hearts. Those are my favorite pill popper type foods. They are small enough that mine usually just swallow them whole, but I have big dogs too.  I wonder if you could find smaller hearts? Maybe someone with quail?

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel