• Topic: Jasper the Shih Tzu, pet owner grooms

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • The following users say thanks to Zoomom for this useful post:
    • September 10, 2016 8:01 AM CDT
    • Jasper the Shih Tzu, pet owner grooms

That's good to know!!

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• September 10, 2016 8:06 AM CDT

Thanks Barb. My first thought was chicken hearts too. I am going to see if I can get quail hearts. They are a better size. I used to buy quail carcasses for my cats occasionally. That's a good idea. I'll let you know if I find them. I have a few local raw places I can check. Way easier to find this type of stuff than in the '90's when I started my cats on raw.
    • September 10, 2016 8:30 AM CDT

Pip does the "I know there's a pill in there" trick too. He doesn't have to take anything very often...occasional worm tablet but his nose knows. Went through the cheese trick..he learnt that trick
      Went through the chicken pate trick...learnt that.
      Little brat he knows just by sniffing...So it's a battle of wills trying something new to fool him.
      Last pill I cut into 4-6 prices, real tiny.
      Then cubed small chunks of cheese....
      Trick this time was it was a lot of little pieces of cheese...some had a sliver of pill...some didn't.
      Started off with unloaded cheese .1, 2, 3... Slip in a loaded one...gulps down...start over..Fooled you big boy! He didn't spit out any and the cheese pieces being just a little bigger than the pill ....he thought he was eating heaps...but in reality it was his normal treat of cheese portion..
      Things we have to do to fool these smart babies LOL
    • September 10, 2016 10:03 AM CDT

Lol, so true, Crystal! I also mix a pill treat with a non pill, but Jasper's favourite is slow baked slices of liver. So I mash the pill containing treat onto the side of a teeny bite of liver, and follow with a plain liver. He eats the pill fast to get to the second treat.
    • September 12, 2016 11:00 AM CDT

I gave Jasper a trim and a bath on Saturday. He needed a really good haircut, so I took about 4 inches off of the longest parts of his body, and 2 off of his head overall. I love the thinning shears I won from Jeff at Northern Tails Sharpening. They are so smooth and sharp. Thanks again, Jeff!

• The following users say thanks to Crystal for this useful post:
    • September 13, 2016 3:57 PM CDT

So often my own dogs don't get picture perfect grooms. I too touch up and neaten as I see it. :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• September 14, 2016 7:09 PM CDT

Oh, and it grows back really quickly. Before you know it, the length will be back and you won't even realize it was cut off a few months ago.
      I also find its cleaner on the side where Jasper lifts his leg. ;)
    • November 1, 2016 6:51 PM CDT

For sure, it does grow fast! It took me a while to be brave enough to cut a lot of length off Jasper, but now I do it every summer. Although the snow balls can get bad, too, so sometimes it's just easier to shorten it up a bit.
      Best wishes!
      Lisa and Jasper
    • November 9, 2016 8:54 PM CST

Hello Lisa,

With regard to getting a pill down Jasper without the pill pocket, try to crush the pill into a fine powder and then mix it in something wet.  My Maxie does not take pills and I don't get the Pill Pockets because he can still sniff it out.  I saw a video of a woman crushing the pill and putting it in cream cheese for her big dog.  Maxie is small and I don't want to give him cream cheese.  I just finished giving him antibiotics for a procedure he had and I put the crushed antibiotic in canned tuna.  He gobbled it down.  It was so less stressful for me.  When mixing it with food choose a food that has a strong smell.  I've also used Braunschweiger to give a pill and that worked well.  Good Luck!  Keep up the good work grooming Jasper.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel