Forums General Product Discussions/Comparisons Flea Products
  • Topic: I want to get a jump ahead of the flea season this year

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 16, 2015 8:54 AM CST
    • I want to get a jump ahead of the flea season this year

I have recently used Advantix K9 on my puppies during the summer, which worked, somewhat.. With a few fleas found here and there (which I believe were picked up from the groomers).
      We live rurally. What's the best way to beat those nasty little parasites without filling my boys with chemicals? I dont like clipping them too short, but I will as a last resort. Also, can someone tell me what flea treats are?
      Bee
    • January 16, 2015 2:07 PM CST

First I have to say it is highly unlikely your dogs picked up fleas from the groomer.

I have never known a groomer that did not take precautions against having flea infestations in their salons. In the grooming world, a dog going home with fleas would be as awful as finding cockroaches on your dinner plate at a restaurant.

Your best way is to prevent infestation and to be very proactive when dealing with them. You want to go over them everyday. If you happen to see a flea or two, pick them off and dispose of them.  If you see a flea or two the next day, you need to find the source and treat it or avoid going there. Did they go for a walk? A visit to the park?

Fleas come from somewhere. Your first step is finding it and stopping it there.  If they have only been in their yard, then you need to treat the yard right away. If they went for a walk or to the park, you can either stop going there or go over them thoroughly when you get home.

I've never used the Flea Treats though I've heard great things about them. They are an edible treat that you give every day I think. I don't know what's in them or how they work.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• January 16, 2015 3:46 PM CST

I understand that you believe it to be highly unlikely that the groomer had a flea problem, although mine was not the only complaint for that specific groomer at that time. Anyway, thanks for those pointers. I hear of some horrific infestations and wonder how they get so bad... I freak if I see one or two! I lived in Alaska for nearly 9 years and fleas are basically non-existant there.
    • January 16, 2015 4:07 PM CST

The infestations can come on pretty quick if you are not checking them over every day. It's SO much easier to prevent an infestation than to get rid of one.

I'm in Kansas. While I've not dealt with an infestation personally in over 20 years, a lot of people here do.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel