Forums Misc Topics Pet Owners: Ask The Groomer
  • Topic: questions for cat groomers out there :)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 1, 2012 7:33 PM CST
    • questions for cat groomers out there :)

I hope im putting this in the right place....

Anyway, i have a 8month old long haired ragdoll mix? that i have been wantning to get pro groomed.

He does GREAT for baths. But i dont spray him down, the sound freaks him out and he turns into a wild animal. So i just get a small tub, a bucket with warm water, soap and go from there, and he does much better this way.

My 1st question is could i ask the groomers if they could do something like this for his bath? I dont want anyone hurt/stressed.

The next thing is, he has some matts on his belly/close to his arms. i will NOT take scissors to him, im to scared i might cut him open, etc. I have some clippers (whal chromodo) that i use to use on my old cat, with no problems. Well this kitty HATES the sound of them. I have tryed to condition him by turning on the clippers on the other side of the room while giving him treats, but he still jumps in the air and runs/hides! I really would like if he could get at least his belly shaved. I know a few people who have had the same issue with their cats (tryed clipping them, there selves but the cats would freak out with the sound) and they all pointed me to a grooming salon that helped them. I have heard many good things about this salon. I talked to the owner/boss and she said most likely he will calm down once there, and she will have another cat groomer there to hold him, etc.

So my next question, is he "do able"? Will he calm down once i leave him there?

They told me to come in late in the afternoon when theres no more dogs there.

Hes use to other "loud" sounds: the vaccum, my hair dryer, etc.

Any suggestions/info would be great!

~Brittany

• March 1, 2012 8:18 PM CST

I would just tell the groomer all the stuff you just told us about him being bad for certain things when you've tried it and let the groomer do their stuff. I myself would not wash a cat the way you describe, for various reasons. The groomer you use might do it that way, or might simply attempt a normal wash. He could be fine for the groomer, or might be bad.

Some cats are bad for owners to groom and fine for professional groomers. Some cats are simply bad for grooming. Some just need to get used to being groomed professionally.

You are right to NOT use scissors. You could easily slice his skin open and then it will tear further open.  If kitty really really really will not allow grooming, you could have a vet sedate him for a quick groom and then just have to really keep up on the areas that tend to mat(under the arms, chest, etc) so he doesn't have to be groomed with clippers at all.  The matts may be able to be removed with some professional tools and not clipped at all. It's difficult for anyone to tell you specifically over the internet.

Good luck! I'm sure your new groomer will do a stand up job on Kitty for you!

• March 1, 2012 8:35 PM CST

I know some groomers who bathe cats that way, so it's not highly unusual, but whether this salon would or would not I can't say.

If you have had several people refer them, and you felt comfortable when you talked to her on the phone, I'd say give it a try.  The worst that happens is he doesn't calm down and you have to go the Vet route with sedation to get the matting off.  I would be sure to ask at what point do they decide they can not do him. If you are comfortable with their answer, all should be fine.

It is very possible he will calm down when you are gone. It could be that he is just unsure enough of the new place that he is not comfortable enough or they are quick enough that he doesn't have time to misbehave.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• March 1, 2012 9:13 PM CST

Wolf and barb

Thank you for you advice.

I really liked talking to the groomer over the phone. She told me they would TRY to use the clippers on him, and stop/call me to get him if he started showing signs of stress or if he was just to crazy for them.

Alot better then the response i got from another groomer in the area, i asked her: what if he just doesnt like the clippers and begins to get stressed? she answered with a laugh and said she will force him to like the clippers and will have her husband and son hold him down. And that he has to get used to the clippers one way or the other.

and he will be groomed by the time i pick him up. I even told her he DOESNT like men (he will only allow women to pick him up/pet him/etc) and she said that both her husband and son will just have to hold him down tight and make him like them. And thats just a myth (him not liking men), dogs and cats dont know the difference between men and women.....

I really didnt feel comfortable with anything she said......

As for the bathing, he just sits in his little tub, never moves,  (theres a small hole on one end so it drains while hes getting his bath) and i scrub him down. If i turn on the nozzel/sprayer/ tub faucet/even the sink faucet, he will freak out and really scratch you up. So ive learned to do it the other way.

If hes still not doing good, i will go to my vet to get him sedated/shaved.

• March 2, 2012 10:06 AM CST

It's great that you interviewed the groomers. As you know, some groomers will not groom cats, so it's important to find one who has groomed cats before and who enjoys doing it. Thank heavens you stayed away from the one who said she forces the cat into being groomed. That's a great way to send your pet to the hospital - so much stress!

Are you familiar with the Happy Hoodie? The little white absorbant cloth that slides on a pet's head? I've had luck using this with cats during grooming. It muffles the sound of the dryer and clipper.

• March 2, 2012 10:14 AM CST

Britt wrote:

Alot better then the response i got from another groomer in the area, i asked her: what if he just doesnt like the clippers and begins to get stressed? she answered with a laugh and said she will force him to like the clippers and will have her husband and son hold him down. And that he has to get used to the clippers one way or the other.

and he will be groomed by the time i pick him up. I even told her he DOESNT like men (he will only allow women to pick him up/pet him/etc) and she said that both her husband and son will just have to hold him down tight and make him like them. And thats just a myth (him not liking men), dogs and cats dont know the difference between men and women.....

This upsets me to no end. This person should not be anywhere near a cat. What a horrible thing to do to a frightened animal. But, hey..., it's just a cat, right? Who cares? I love my cats (and I'm sure you do, too) as much, if not more, than anyone loves their dogs. I would not have been so nice (gee there's a surprise!) and would have told her she has no business being around cats handling them so badly.

As you have found, you will know when you have found a cat groomer and not just a dog groomer who does cats. A cat groomer understand the very differnet psychological make up of a cat as opposed to a dog. With a cat groomer, your cat may very well relax and be fine. but, if he doesn't, a cat groomer will know when to stop and not go further. We know the difference between acting up and getting cranky and truly being under potentially dangerous stress.

Good luck with your cat. Post a response after his appointment to let us know how he did.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• March 2, 2012 10:30 AM CST

I don't do many cats, but I will usually try most anything once. Especially if the owner is forthcoming with information. My stock answer for the "what if's" is "have you ever tried to make a cat do anything?" :) I would probably concentrate on getting the mats clipped out first. To me a bath on a cat is just a bonus, but then I am a dog groomer who tries to help cats out once in awhile. At least I realize it's not my thing though. That other groomer just sounds like an accidental cat death waiting to happen :(

• March 2, 2012 4:56 PM CST

Absolutely agreed on the other groomer. Either she has lousy people skills and thought she was being funny and sounding like a experianced groomer, or she doesn't understand cats at all, and has NO business grooming cats ever.

I would never try to force a scared cat by just pinning it down and shaving away. For one thing, you just can't "pin down" a cat. They're pointy on five of their six ends, and the sixth end will pee and poop on you. For another, a stressed cat can easily stroke out, have heart failure etc. You just don't push a stressed cat.

That said, many cats just need to be held securely and worked on without a lot of drama. "Held securely" doesn't mean you just pin them to the table! It can mean a second person needs to help, or using their scruff to keep them more still. It can mean just holding onto the cat at all times, never taking a hand off the cat. Many cats sense whether the person trying to groom them know what they're doing or not. A nervous groomer who is unsure about how the cat will act can often illicit the frantic fighting they're worried about... simply because the cat feels they are unsure.

Frankly I do agree on the "he doesn't like men" though. I've run into way too many pets that I've heard the "He hates men", or "he hates women" that acted as if there were no issue at all once they meet people of the sex they supposedly don't like. Especially the "they hate men" routine... never had a man-hating dog that didn't get along with my late husband or the guy that worked at the first grooming shop I was at OR the guy who helps at the salon I'm at now. Sometimes it's just the man they've met so far, OR it's the owner who is expecting them to hate men for some reason and they act accordingly.

• March 2, 2012 7:07 PM CST

Emma:

Ive never heard of that before but i will look it up!

And Wolf:

since ive had him hes never liked men (i dont think he hates them, hes more fearful of them). He was rescued from a back yard where this creep bred cats to experiment on them (guns, poisons, etc and the guy had bad anger issues....) I had to change vets, he would not allow my old vet anywhere near him and as soon as the new vet (a lady) came into the room he ran to her, stayed by her side and allowed her to touch him all over and give him his shots. He seems fine with small childern. He runs and hides when male house guests come over, unless theres women over. He will go to each lady and purr/rub all over them, and give stink eyes to the men. My best friend is a guy and he comes over for dinner pretty much everyday! and Vogy (my cat) will not get anywhere near him. He has tryed offering him treats (and vogy LOVES food, he will take anything from any random kid/lady).

So im not sure if that has something to do with his past, OR maybe hes learning it from my other cat, but she hates everyone. The only person she allows to be pet/picked up is me. I would never take her to the groomers (shes short haired and allows me to do her nails) and taking her to the vet is already a pain, my vet jokes and says its like dealing with a wild 6 pound tiger.

I was able to brush out his belly last night and got some matts to break free. the only ones that worry me our the ones that feel like balls that are close to his arms. My new vet (honestly, i have never liked her, i liked my old vet) told me to put regualr butter on his matts and they should come right off!? and if that doesnt work to just cut them out with scissors. I told her i dont want to make them worse and i still will not use scissors on him. Ive never heard of using butter to de-matt dogs/cats before though.....

I was also thinking about it last night, i think i wont have him shaved all over. As long as the matts are gone.

And about that other groomer: i contacted her 1st since i drive by her salon almost everyday and on her door it says she has over 20 yrs exp grooming cats and dogs. so i thought i would give it a shot. But like i said, i didnt feel comfortable with everything she told me over the phone.

The salon im taking him to on monday is located in another town, north of my little town, about 20 min, and was voted best grooming shop of that town over and over again. and plus of all the positive feed back i got from other cat people i just had to give them a call!

So hopefully everything goes well for my vagabundo (or vogy for short) 

~Brittany

• March 13, 2012 11:28 AM CDT

I tell cat owners that there is a certain 'intimidation factor' in being away from home and handled by a stranger.  Sometimes it works for me, sometimes against me.  Just depends on the cat.    I've only had a problem with one cat in my 17 years of grooming-- and that was my fault.   I was very new to grooming and didn't have a clue about how to read a cats' body language.   I learned a hard lesson that day.  lol

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel