Forums General Tool Talk Misc Tools
  • Topic: NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!!! What products do you use and love?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 1, 2012 9:36 PM CST
    • NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!!! What products do you use and love?

Hi Everyone!

I've spent the last two nights reading TONS of posts!  This is such a great site -I've already learned so much!

As you might have guessed -I'm a newbie! As there is no way I can afford $5000 + flights and accomodations for grooming school, I'm doing the next best thing!  I've signed up for a long distance course -and plan on reading and watching everything I can get my hands on!!!  I'm also hoping to find someone in Toronto or Vancouver who will take me on as an apprentice of sorts for a few weeks during the summer.  (I figure I'll offer to groom for free/ or next to nothing in exchange for tips and advice -since it's a busy time for groomers, I'm hoping someone will take me on!)

In the meantime, I plan on practising on the beloved dogs of everyone I know (and everyone they know).  Then I'll move on to the shelters.  I hope to be ready to start grooming from my home on a part time (evening and weekend basis) by the end of summer! 

Sooooo - I'm going to start buying the equipment I will need.   I've made most of the big decisions based on the posts I've read - clippers, blades, etc.  But I haven't seen many posts on products.  So I'm hoping people will let me know what products they use and love!    Advice on shampoos, conditioners, clipper and blade care products, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Also if you feel very strongly about a piece of equipment - brand of clippers, blades, etc  OR if there is a piece of advice you think a newbie would benifit from - I'd be grateful for any help that you can give me!  (I'm also still on the fence about ceramic blades - from what i"ve read they are either amazing or horrible- I'm not sure which.  And if I get them, can I still use stainless steel combs?)

Thanks so much!!!!  Jill :)

PS - It would be great if there was a NEWBIE section on this sight.  It could have Groomers' tips, lists of essential equipment (and wish list equipment), info/surveys on favourite products, etc. 

(There are so many conflicting views - it would be awesome to have people rate the equipment and products they have used - so if I look up andis 2 speed I could see that most people rate it as an 8 out of 10 based on ????? reviews.  And then I could look and see the Oster clipper 2999 and see that it is only rated 7.5 based on ???? reviews. 

(but perhaps there is a newbie section and I just missed it - I only found the sight on Tuesday -and there is so much to read!!!)  Thanks again!!!!

• March 1, 2012 9:50 PM CST

Hi Jill

Welcome to the GL. Your best bet would be to post about each item in it's own topic area --- Ask about clippers in the clippers forum, shears in their forum, etc. 

It keeps things more organized and will help the next one looking to get advice on a certain item.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• March 2, 2012 9:27 AM CST

Jill ~ when it comes to new products and new equipment, we are ALL newbies no matter how long we have been doing this. For example, check out the Absorber threads. Groomers on that thread have been grooming for 20+ years and yet, just now, discovered something that cut their grooming time dramatically. Keep an open mind now and 20 years from now and you will always feel the same excitement for your profession. While some of us get ~ ahem ~ "passionate" about what we use or believe in, we all still benefit from opposing POV. Always learning will be the difference between having 20 years of experience or having 1 year of experience that you've practiced for 20 years.

Products ~ I am a Show Seasons girl. I love their shampoos, Chrome and Results Rinse conditioners. I dilute Chrome for table spray use.

Always aim towards purchasing the best you can afford that suits your use and your body. Good brushes (I LOVE my Bass brushes) and scissors correctly fitted to your hands (there's a thread about this here and I gave a rough explanation on how to fit your hands) not only make your work easier and faster, they keep your body healthy. Good "toys" are ergonomic and prevent injuries.

Good luck and welcome to our world.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• March 2, 2012 9:57 AM CST

In regard to training, you may be better off starting as a paid bather/fluffer instead of offering to groom for free. Having a new groomer work on dogs requires alot of oversight from the grooming salon owner, so doesn't really save them much time or money. Since groomers can be bitten (on occasion), it can also be a liability issue. Think of it this way - if you were a hair salon owner, would you let someone walk in off the street and style the hair of your customers? No, you would start them off as hair washers.

Shelters, in my experience, (in my area), don't welcome new groomers with open arms. They too are concerned about liability, I suspect, and the possibility of injuries if the groomer is unskilled. Not to discourage you -- just trying to point you in a direction that may be more fruitful.

Don't worry about not being able to afford grooming school. Many good groomers worked their way up through the ranks without school.

Be patient with yourself. I know you are excited about grooming, and that's great, but this is the beginning of a long and winding road. Skills take more than a few months to develop.

From personal experience, I suggest starting off with the minimum amount of equipment and products. As you gain experience, your tastes may change.

Good luck and have fun.

• March 2, 2012 5:04 PM CST

I agree that you might want to start as a bather. I started grooming two years ago under a groomer and took a 240hr course at a local school and I think the other groomer help me more than school. Items I would not want to groom without include...arco clipper or bravada..this clipper runs of battery and has an adjustable blade that can switch from a 9, 10, 15, 30, 40.this way I can do pads, faces, arm pits , and sani. It is also good for dogs that are scared because it is quiet. I would not groom cats without this. Next would be my clipper vac. It sucks the hair up so the hair is not in the air so it is healthier for the groomer and the dog. Third would be my swing arm, edemco table. Those arms can be a pain and being able to move it is so helpful. Other things I like are davis quick dry, really helps dry the dogs faster....natures speciality shampoo and barkleighs client cards.

Glad you posted, I love this site too. Soooo much info!
    • March 3, 2012 5:52 PM CST

hi Jill welcome to this site! This is the place I came to learn about grooming and the reason I became a groomer.

I will be honest starting your grooming education through long distance will be an uphill battle but others have triumphed, if you want it bad enough it will happen.

Do not be discouraged if salon owners tell you no for training, even with free labor. For a mulitude of reasons, #1 To teach someone you have to SLOW down, you have to spend time one on one with that person, a slaon owner will make less money teaching, they also have a greater liability.

My bather wanted to be a groomer...so I said I would teach when we had TIME...it took over two years for her to be 'trained' and even then she was a still a newbie. Another year to get her speed up.

As for products it really depends!! best bet is to go to a seminar where you can get hands on everything. but reading and asking questions and getting opinions works too.

So...the items I cannot live without? My recirculating bathing system...I hate bathing without it, in my opinion the dogs are cleaner, it saves water, it save shampoo, it saves time and time is money.

I will not part with my k9III dryer, it is power, sound slike a jet engine but it is FAST! And again time is money. It saves on brushing and elbow grease. I just did a severly matted yorkie (he was mine long story...lol) and I was able to push the mats from his body and he got a #4f.

Cannot live without a good stand dryer, I have and Oster.

Cannot live without a belly strap. I will not even groom without one. i am not chasing table dancers.

The Wahl SS combs are use every groom.

I hate grooming without my Crown Royal #2 Spray, scissor without just doens't give me that finish I need.

My grooming stool, I hate standing to groom. Saves my back, makes the job so enjoyable.

As for shampoos I like to try everything...it depends on the day. I like Grimator for the nasties, Ultimate for 3-4 monthers, Eqyss Premier for my own dogs, Chris Christensen when i have it...lol I love shampoo. I change it every so often to keep me interested.

• March 3, 2012 8:57 PM CST

I am also new to grooming and am starting out as a bather. I am doing the nails, bath, dry and sani. My boss has been training me on slow days when we have time to slow down a little and point stuff out. I have also been watching videos but it is really different to have a wiggley dog  vs watching one LOL. I am getting better but my times are still slow. BUT... I am getting better and I would not be as far along if I didn't have the dogs in front of me and a great boss watching over my shoulder to make sure I don't use the wrong blade again. I would def. recommend getting on as a bather and getting your training thru a groomer.  Good luck and enjoy!

• January 2, 2016 2:58 PM CST

Wish this topic was newer since shampoo, conditioners, detanglers.etc .... have evolved to some really good products on the market...
      Since I only groom 2 and spoil them rotten I don't spare any expense...
      Right now I'm loving Vellus Shampoo & Conditioner, All System White Lightning, Groom Professional Revitilizer conditioner, Crown Royal Magic Touch, Coat Handlers Magic Touch, Coat Handlers Conditioner, Ring 5 Tangle/Untangle.....Afraid I'm addicted to retail therapy for my baby's rotate products often...but that's a few on my favorites
    • January 2, 2016 6:25 PM CST

I bet every groomer has shelves and cabinets full of favorite products. :)

New ones come out every year.  I love Lisa Leady's conditioner line.  I dilute it a lot for a leave in and put a cap full in my shampoo system along with the shampoo.  

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• January 3, 2016 9:56 AM CST

Had to look up Lisa's product...sounds good.
      Picking your brain for a second...
      My female bites and pulls my males fragile white hair on his rear flank till it's really breaking off bad now and looks like fly away hair....it would break my heart to cut him down just for that area..
      What you you use to add moisture to the hair shaft to strengthen it...I've used CC Hydro Pack treatment but it's still fly away like static....but not static...would a silicon conditioner tame down this broken fragile hair do it layer flat again?
    • January 3, 2016 5:36 PM CST

Silicone could, I would think that any heavy conditioner may help.

Barb

• January 4, 2016 7:13 AM CST

I've used the hydro twice now but I've been told by a show dog owner that grooms his own that if I pump too much moisture and lock it in the hair shaft it can have the opposite affect and weaken the hair shaft making even more prone to breaking.
      Your thought's on this?
    • January 4, 2016 1:13 PM CST

I honestly don't know. :)

On a coated breed like that, a show person may have more tricks to prevent breakage as the coat is very important to the dog. Most dogs going to a pet groomer are not in full coat, so the care is a bit different.

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel