Forums General Customer Relations Other Customer Relations Issues
  • Topic: I love being the hero ;)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 7, 2015 4:22 PM CDT
    • I love being the hero ;)

I had a first time client with a 7 month old Standard Poodle today.

He was a typical 7 month old puppy. He started out a little difficult, but in no time he realized what I wanted him to do. The grooming went well and I loved doing him.  When I called to have her pick up, she hesitantly asked how he behaved. Evidently, every other groomer told them he was horrible. She then tried to do him herself, and it didn't go so well either.

Honestly, I don't think it was because I have super mad handling skills. I'm sure how I handled him had a small part but I'm thinking it was more that he was finally old enough and mature enough to 'get it'.

He was super noisy in a kennel. I'd scheduled so that he was the only one here during his time, so I was able to let him out when I got him to quiet down for a minute or two.  I can imagine if he barked non stop for hours, that could make any groomer a little less patient with him.  Being able to have him out of the kennel may have helped a lot today too, with my stress and his. :)

Whatever the reason it all went so well, it made me look really good. lol

His owner was thrilled to death with his groom and how well we got along and rebooked his next appointment.  He's a nice boy and I'm so happy to add him to my client list for good.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• May 7, 2015 4:50 PM CDT

I love Standards.  I owned one who was a real ham when he and I both knew he looked good.  I used him in the competitions.  His attatiude said. "look at me, judge.  Am I not the most handsome man you have ever seen?"

What trim did you put your guy in?  If he's only 7 months old I imagine it was something basic.  Congrats on being the hero.  I love it when it happens to me, too.  But I give myself more credit than you give yourself.  I think that I understand the minds and temperments of different dogs and know how to handle each.  You have that.  Give yourself more credit.

Are we still not allowed to talk about prices here?  I'm curious how much you charged.  Especially since you worked him straight through with on other dogs in the shop.

• May 7, 2015 5:10 PM CDT

Thanks. :)  I do think my handling skills played a part, but I also think he was finally at an age where he could grasp better what I expected of him. I LOVE working on older puppies so much more than 3 or 4 month old ones. At 7-8 months old they have a bit more braincells working and seem to learn and remember, even if their behavior is horrible to start. I find a 3-4 month old puppy just doesn't always get it and I like progress. ;)

I love them too. I have three. :)

He had been trimmed a couple times already so wasn't carrying a whole lot of coat. I used a yellow comb on the Clippervac with just a slight bit of fullness in the hock area so he didn't have stick legs.  His topknot and ears had been scissored around on by his owner. I finished the ear trim by doing them with the yellow comb, blending into the short topknot.

He had just about 2 hours of hands on time so I charged twice my average small dog price. He was here for 3 hours. I let him settle for a bit before starting as he was pretty excited from the car ride and just the newness of the place. I purposely gave myself plenty of quiet time for him. I didn't want to have to rush through a puppy or deal with people coming in and out while he was here the first time. So I did eat some of my time on him a little bit.  After a few more grooms I'm sure I'll work him into a more normal day and he'll be fine.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• May 7, 2015 5:47 PM CDT

Congrats, Barb! I've had a few experience like that where I was the only one able to groom a dog that was refused by other salons. It does feel very good!

I wish I could charge double for a standard what I charge for a typical small dog because it does take me twice as long, but it would simply be too much. Instead, I just keep trying to get faster. :-)

• May 7, 2015 7:32 PM CDT

A way to think about the charging for time is to consider the small dog owners. Is it fair that they are paying more per hour than what the big dog owners pay?

Barb

• May 7, 2015 8:06 PM CDT

I didn't think I got any good pictures of him. Holding still for them wasn't his favorite thing to do. This one isn't bad.

Barb

• May 7, 2015 9:14 PM CDT

You're right Barb.  I do a lot of little guys that are easy peasy and they pay my normal small dog price.  It is someowhat unfair to them.  A Standard can be a lot of work depending on the trim the owners want.  If they wanted something sculped  like a competion lamb or a dread  pattern I would charge more than that (not that I do any standards)

Your trim was excellent considering the small amount of hair you had to work with.  Next time he comes in I hope the owner dosen't feel that she needs to bugger up the top knot and you can grow the guy some ear hair.

He sure does remind me of the standard I owned.  Nice head, strong over the top, good rear leg angulation.  You've made me remember him again and miss him again.

• May 7, 2015 9:32 PM CDT

I too have some small dogs that don't take much time. They are still charged about the same as the other small ones. I consider it my minimum charge. I grew up in an HVAC company. We always had an hourly rate with a minimum charge. A 5 minute fix was the same price as a 45 minute fix. After 45 minutes it was billed by the hour. It accounts for the time to make the appointment, paperwork, clean up, etc etc etc.

Thanks. I had taken about half the length off his body. His topknot I only scissored off to even a few long hairs. She didn't leave me much to work with there! His ears were a hot mess. :)  My first thought was to just trim the length off, but even that didn't do it. She really liked what I did today. It's a nice easy length, not too short and not too long and high maintenance. She had given me free reign to do whatever I thought best, so I went with something that was easy but still looked nice.

Standards are amazing dogs. Until you have had one, you just can't appreciate how fantastic they are.

Barb

Barb

• May 7, 2015 10:18 PM CDT

I love them too. I have three. :)

What kind of trim do you put yours in?  God help you if you show them.  3 would be a full time job as far as coat care.  Do you breed or are they your pets?

• May 8, 2015 6:38 AM CDT

I don't show or breed. They are pets.

Sebastian's trim varies. Right now he looks a lot like the boy above. I like his ears kept short so he's often done in a German too.

I like lots of hair on Drew. :) He's growing back into a continental. I had him corded for a bit but missed running my hands through his long coat.

Addie is corded.

Barb

• May 8, 2015 5:28 PM CDT

They're lovely.  I did my guy in the German style.  It suited his debonaire style.  Besices, his tail had been docked too short so there was no way to give him a decent pom.

Whan I had my shop at a vet hosp the vets would ask me about things they thought I might know.  One was the length to dock a Poodle's tail.  Once I explained that half the tail was shaved and the other half carried the pom, they got it.  Of all the poodles I do in my shop only 2 have a correctly docked tail.

• May 8, 2015 7:00 PM CDT

Yes, Barb, I understand what you're saying. Up until recently, I was charging the same for a 45-min. long-haired chihuahua groom as I was for a 90-min. shihtzu groom and calling it a "minimum charge" in my mind. It made up for the money I would lose grooming an SP. But I was feeling sort of guilty about that so the last time I raised my prices, I didn't raise them on the chihuahuas so they're paying just a few dollars less, but still quite a bit more per hour than a shihtzu. Yes, I know I should be charging more for an SP - fortunately, I don't do very many.

Nice groom on the newbie!!

• May 10, 2015 9:05 PM CDT

Thanks guys ! :)

That was our Christmas picture. I really missed Drew's long full coat and banded topknot, so he's growing back out. Sebastian is not a pretty dog. Sometimes I will grow him out longer so I can hide a lot of his faults, but it's a lot of work, so I tend to do him short once or twice, then grow him out for awhile, then short once or twice again.  Lola is in an Asian inspired trim now. She looks sooo cute. :)

http://groomers.net/messageboard/forums/topic/2139/experimenting-with-the-asian-sty

Tail docking..... Long story short, I took Mom and a litter of poodle pups in for a client and kept them until weaned and placed the puppies. Little Lola above is one of the puppies. Dawm Omboy has the other.

I had the task of getting the tails done. I consulted with the breeder of the parents and she told me how much to tell the Vet to take off. Man they looked like long tails when he did it... She knew what she was talking about though, both puppies have beautiful tail lengths.

Barb

• May 10, 2015 10:53 PM CDT

Hiding faults on a Standard  is a whole lot more work than it is on a Toy or a Mini. Not worth the trouble IMHO.  I was lucky.  My Standard had excellent conformation.  And his attitude made him perfect for competition.  He thought that he was the most beautiful thing that ever walked the face of the earth. lol

A correct tail dock always looks way too long on a little puppy.  People don't understand that the dog and the hair will grow and the tail won't.  Vet's and owners dock them according to what the tails look like at a few days old.  My vets got it when I 'splained it to them, but the "breeders" always wanted them shorter.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• May 11, 2015 6:39 AM CDT

This is Sebastian with and without hair. Excuse the crooked topknot. I did fix it :)  That was the day I got him. His owner was elderly and didn't have any need for any kind of coat length on him. She needed him short and easy so his trim could last about 3 months.  I try to keep him in at least a half an inch of coat now.  He looks a bit better now when he's short. He has a lot more muscle tone than he did then.  I keep his ears short, somewhere between shaved and just a few inches of length. He looks much better with short ears.

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel