Forums General General Groomers Chat Surveys, Polls, and Other Fun Stuff
  • Topic: How often do you brush?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 7, 2015 8:18 PM CDT
    • How often do you brush?

I'm curious, how often do you brush your own dogs?

I have 3 Standards, a Toy and a LH Chihuahua/Pom.  They get groomed, or at least  bathed and dried, maybe every 6 ish weeks.  In between, I never brush them. None have ever had any kind of matting that didn't come out under the dryer or with just a few extra minutes with a brush afterwards. I've never had to go with a short trim or any dematting because of their coat condition.

It makes me wonder about my client dogs. I see a fair amount of matting on some of them in just 6 weeks. So I wonder is it because the owners are bathing them at home and not blowing out the coats like we do?  Did I just somehow win the lottery on non matting dogs? 

How often do you brush your own dogs?

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• May 8, 2015 7:09 PM CDT

I groom dogs that don't get brushed for six weeks and the only matting I find is on their ears and tails, provided they're shaved with a #1 or #2 comb. Dogs that are shaved with a #0 or longer sometimes have matting on their bodies. Definitely some dogs are more prone to matting than others - I think the finer the hair, the more they matt. So, yes, you may have lucked out in that regard.

I brush my own dog about every other day with a slicker brush just because I can't stand the way she looks otherwise. Now that she's older, her coat is much softer and really looks terrible between brushings. But the slicker is not enough to keep her from matting. I have to thoroughly comb her about once every other week or her legs and chest would get matted. I believe this is because I keep her coat so long. I generally shave her with an #E comb. If I kept her in a #2, I'm sure I wouldn't have to comb her at all, except for her ears and tail.

• May 9, 2015 6:13 PM CDT

It so depends on the coat.  My Toy Poodle can go for 8 weeks easy.  I do her in a 5 lamb with longer neck and a 5/8 comb on the legs.  My Lhasa/Mix that I do  in kinda a Bichon style can go 3 to 4 weeks, but when I had her in full coat I had to do her weekly.  (anything mixed with Maltese is a mat factory).  My other 7 dogs are short haired and only need Furminating when I get a house full of dog hair.

I do a Bichon that I've mentioned here before who needs a B&B weekly.  Another Bichon with a coat more Poodle-like can go 8 weeks.

But I believe that a lot has to do with the owners.  One of my customers has a Toy Poodle I used to do every 6 weeks that started coming in with mats. Her mom batheed her at home in between.  I told her about the matting and suggested that she come in for the in between bath at 3 weeks.  Problem solved, no more mats.  Plus, I do the FF&T at the same time so the dog always looks good.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel