Forums General Breed Styles Sporting
  • Topic: Cocker Spaniel Puppies./ grooming advice needed

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 25, 2015 10:43 AM CDT
    • Cocker Spaniel Puppies./ grooming advice needed

My Mom just got two cockers. They are 12 wks. The male has a very thick full curly coat. The female have a wavy to straight coat of normal thickness, though she has a very pointy occiput where the male has a nice rounded skull. I have never hand stripped a cocker and my Mom said I may handstrip her dogs as long as it didn't hurt, which I assured her it wouldn't. I have honustly no clue where to start though as I have only really stripped out terriers. Any and all help and suggestions would be appreciated. I am also going for my grooming certification through ISCC and was considering using one of the pups. Would it be a good idea to do a handstrip for my technical or better to play it safe and just do a pet trim? Thanks!

Naturally Furry

• May 25, 2015 12:11 PM CDT

Okay First thing you need is carding knieves. A coarse knife and a fine. I use the Franklin ones. I get them from Groomers mall. You'll also want a delicate pumice. My favorite is the Sally Stone also available from groomers mall. When you get the knieves in they tend to be a little sharp so go outside and weed with them then just clean them off with Dawn dish soap and water. Then spray or wipe them with rubbing alcohol.

For the actual work you'll hold the skin taunt and "comb" with the coarse knife first, making long smooth strokes from the whither back to the tail. I try not to go over the actual spine, but rather move the skin side to side away from the bone.

On the sides only go to about the top of the rib cage (about an inch down) until they are a little older. The cocker line starts high and drops as they develop.

You want to make sure the knife edge is almost flat to the skin. If it Is too upright you can damage the hair or irritate the skin. You'll see dull fuzz come out. That's the undercoat. Continue with the coarse knife until no more comes out, then switch to the fine knife and repeat.

As they get older you will see long stragglers hairs, that's when you use the stone to pluck.

Don't worry about head shapes and occipit now. They have a lot of growing and changing to do. And a pointy occipital is a good thing. It's supposed to be pronounced on a cocker
    • May 25, 2015 12:23 PM CDT

It sounds like there's not much, if any, plucking like you do on a terrier coat?

I always wondered about that. I do a lot of carding, and can really tell the difference, and wondered if they were actually plucked too.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel