Forums General Breed Styles Spaniels
  • Topic: Quick help please- will all cockers look good in a kennel cut?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 17, 2015 1:19 PM CDT
    • Quick help please- will all cockers look good in a kennel cut?

Hi.  First post after lurking for a long long time.   I'm a cocker owner and I do my own grooming.   I just got tired of the expense and hassle of scheduling appointments.   I'm well equiped - grooming table/arm, andis clippers, metro dryer etc.  For blades, I have a 3, 4, 7, 10, 30 and 40.  And I have combs but I've never been very successful in using them.  I'm not great - my dogs often look like a blind man got drunk and then did their haircuts.  :)   But it works for me so please be kind.

I've always kept my dogs longish.   Right now, I'm toying with taking my b/t cocker down pretty short.  1/2 - 1in on the legs?

His hair is pretty straight.  lays flat normally and does not matt easily.  The reason I'm considering going short is that I'd probably take him swimming more or walk him when its wet outside and I think he'd be more comfy in the heat. 

This is the shortest I've ever had him

photo 1005449202002.jpg

Yes, I know he's a filthy mess in this pic - Sorry, we were camping.

• June 17, 2015 4:55 PM CDT

First let me say that I think it's great that you do your own grooming. It's the best way to really know your dogs and to be alerted of any health issues or abnormalties.

The only cockers that I have shaved short and didn't like the outcome, were obese ones. They ended up looking like footstools on chicken legs.

Most of them, in good weight and condition, look very very nice with a shorter haircut. They have a nice compact body that carries it well.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• June 19, 2015 10:40 PM CDT

i think you'll LOVE going shorter!  I have 1 client that requests a #7 in summer & longer in winter.  Sparky looks like a puppy (and I think she's maybe 10???) and leaves the shop frisky as all get out!  She looks good because she is fit & cockers don't have "piano spindle legs".  If you don't like it...it will grow back!  Good for you grooming your own dog!!!  It's how I got started!

• June 28, 2015 9:39 PM CDT

#40s and 30s are tricky to use. They are usually reserved for show clips in poodles and surgical prep. I haven't done show grooms on any other breed, so don't know on those. Not all #40s are created equal either. I test mine, gently, on my own skin. If I draw it across my skin and it cuts, the blades are reserved for only under snap ons (which are a pain in the neck to use, whole other problem). I've never had a #30 cut my skin. If you don't want to go close all over on your cocker spaniel, I find that, especially with straight hair, a #7 on the body and a #4 leaves an easy to care for length and adds an appreciable thickness to the legs. Most cockers have sturdy legs that look fine the same length as the body if they are in shape. Gives them a sporty look.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel