Forums General Grooming Techniques Scissoring
  • Topic: question about shaving sani. Stomach on a male or female dog

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 28, 2015 4:20 PM CDT
    • question about shaving sani. Stomach on a male or female dog

Hi I'm not sure where to post my question. I'm learning how to groom at grooming school. I asked my instructor questions, but I don't get the answers I'm looking for so I came on here. I have several grooming books that I've read and can't find the answer I'm looking for in those books. Anyway here's my question. Groomers lift the dog up by the front legs and shave the dogs sanitary area. The stomach going straight up with the blade. They clip with the blade going straight up. Why do groomers do it this way? If you don't understand I will try to find pictures of a groomer doing this. It doesn't mention why in the books or online why the groomers shave the stomach going up with the blade. And did some groomer come up with this method of shaving the stomach with the blade going straight up? Do you guys know who the original person was that come up with the method to shave stomach up? Would love to know the answers. I look forward to seeing lots of great answers here. My email is dogagalor3@yahoo.com. Your all welcome to email me too.
    • June 28, 2015 8:15 PM CDT

If you are talking about going in the direction of groin to ribcage, that is the direction the hair lies. Going against the grain in that area, especially if it is a stiff-haired dog can cause irritation. Also, if you start from ribcage and go towards groin, you can catch the skin that is stretched thin from the body to back leg in the blades and make a very nasty, stitches-needed cut through the skin.

• June 30, 2015 6:05 PM CDT

Sharon is correct. It's really the easiest and safest angle to do it at as well.  For me, it would be pretty difficult to hold the dog up and clip down towards the legs.

As for who decided that was the way, there really are no founding fathers of grooming. Dogs have been groomed in one way or another since they've become domesticated.  In most cases there are no hard and fast rules.  If you're being taught by someone, then while working with them, you do things as instructed. Once out on your own, if you are not working for someone that wants things done a certain way, you are free to try different things. Some ways work better for others. Every groomer is different as is every dog. There are a lot of safety things to consider, and right and wrong ways in that regard.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 1, 2015 5:03 PM CDT

i meant holding the dog up by the front legs and shaving up with the blade. thats what i meant and also the arm pit area. they go against the grain shaving that area. why cant i shave that flap area goin a different drection? ill explain barb with a picture.

• July 1, 2015 5:44 PM CDT

Click on the reply button below this message. (Not Quick Reply)
      It will open up a window with more options.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 1, 2015 6:28 PM CDT

First, I love that you want to know the whys. Unfortunately there are sometimes many whys and they differ for different circumstances.

For the sani, you hold the dogs front paws in your non-dominant hand and lift so that the dog is standing on its hind legs, then shave with the grain, roughly groin to ribcage, and out towards legs. If you were to think of the groin as the center of a circle, you would be shaving in the direction of rays from the center out. This keeps the blades perpendicular to the edges of skin flaps, avoiding slicing the skin flaps. This also protects against irritating the skin on the most sensitive part of the body. Irritate it and the dog can scratch and chew itself into a bloody mess.

Shaving the armpit with the grain leaves pockets of long hair hiding in the pits of the pits (lots of tendons there creating little canyons in the pits). Going against the grain helps lift the hair so you don’t leave long straggly pieces. You are also shaving perpendicularly to the skin flaps and tendons which protects against injuring the dog. Shaving with the grain can sometimes catch a skin fold, particularly if the dog is sitting.

These two methods are ideal. There will be times when they do not work… horrible matting, arthritic dog, dog with luxating patellas, badly formed front legs, etc. Your instructor will probably teach you these variations after the class has mastered the ideal methods.

• July 1, 2015 9:08 PM CDT

thanks sharon now i understand better. when they shave upwards with the clippers on the stomach. i thought that was against the grain. i never noticed that the hair grows like that and who was the original person that invented the ways to shave the groin area and belly. like who came up with shaving that way so that you dont cut the skin flaps? all groomers follow these rules to shaving this area so im wondering how did the rules to shaving the groin and sanitary get passed down to us groomers?

• July 2, 2015 1:31 AM CDT

No idea who, most likely many people discovered this. One would learn it at the dogs expense if they were learning on their own. And it would be important to pass on to whoever you taught. Could be fun to research the history of pet grooming.

• July 2, 2015 6:03 PM CDT

heres the picture. the groomer is shaving upwards on the groin and they also shave upwards with the blade on the belly too. why do they shave going upwards on these areas. 

• July 2, 2015 9:31 PM CDT

As Sharon explained, it's the safest way to do it. It is the least likely way to catch skin and cause an injury.

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel