Forums General Grooming Techniques NAILS, EARS, ANALS, TEETH
  • Topic: old pets' nails - how do you trim 'em??

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 26, 2015 10:16 PM CDT
    • old pets' nails - how do you trim 'em??

I've noticed this mostly on the older (smaller breed) dogs. Some dogs have nails that seem to be hollow. There's very little meat in them, and it's really hard to tell where the quick is. They also seem to grow at weird angles. I did a 12 year old sheltie earlier this week that had nails like this. She seemed quite sensitive to having her nails done, too, so I'm wondering about the nerve ending in there too?

Is the best way to trim these nails the same way you'd trim any other nail, or is there something else I should try? I dremel 95% of nails, but in this case, I was on vacation and doing a quick trim for the cottage owner's dog, so I only had her set of nail clippers to work with.

And since we're on the topic, is there a reason cat's nails tend to get thicker as they get older?? 

• July 27, 2015 6:14 AM CDT

I've noticed a lot of old shelties with weird nails that grow at different angles too. The foot ends up flat and splayed and they are super sensitive about them.
      I do usually trim as I do any other nail.

I've heard that those soft, curved, misshaped nails can be caused by fungal infection and other health problems. I've never had it confirmed by a Vet, I've just read it here and there.

I hadn't thought about the cats much, but I do see some that are almost like dog nails.  I know my own cats shed their nails. Well not the whole thing, but the sheath or outside layer.  I wonder if older cats, being less active, don't shed them as often?

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• August 6, 2015 3:21 PM CDT

I'd bet the sensitivity of the shelties and other dogs whose nails curl oddly is due to the long nails causing problems with the foot structure, like walking on high toed shoes. Possibly developing arthritis because of the unusual gait? I hadn't heard about infection or other health problems, but that is very interesting and plausable.

• August 12, 2015 2:32 PM CDT

I do think too that the misshapen and long nails cause foot problems. I also wonder if existing foot problems, like a flat or splayed foot, can cause the weird toenail growth?  Kind of a who came first the chicken or egg kind of thing.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• August 12, 2015 2:32 PM CDT

I do think too that the misshapen and long nails cause foot problems. I also wonder if existing foot problems, like a flat or splayed foot, can cause the weird toenail growth?  Kind of a who came first the chicken or egg kind of thing.

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel