Forums General Business Issues Salon Planning and Start Ups
  • Topic: Building a new salon from the ground up!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 7, 2016 3:42 PM CST
    • Building a new salon from the ground up!

After 25 years of retrofitting spaces to accomodate my business, I finally get to build a salon from the ground up:).  Needless to say, I am tremendoulsy excited and terrified at the same time.  After all these years, I am confident in many of my choices but, as a fairly good business person, I have never thought I knew it all.  If you could build YOUR dream salon, how would you do it?  What would you absolutely LOVE to have?

Thanks everyone

• January 8, 2016 6:32 AM CST

What a fun question!

I would love a more custom bathing set up, something better than just the average raised tub.  I would want an adjustable one to start. I would also like more of a bathing pit/walk in type set up for extra large dogs.

I'd like some type of soundproof type room/area for that one super noisy dog that we all have on our client list. :)  I like having the dogs where I can easily see them, but sometimes you have one that is just loud.......  The room would need a security camera so that the dog could be monitored.

Congratulations on the new buildiing and have lots of fun with your designing!!!

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• January 8, 2016 10:59 AM CST

Hahaha:) Love the bar idea but unfortunately I have employees and I can just imagine how much work would get done lol.  The soundproof room is definitely in the plan! It will also serve as the cat room and geriatric dog room.  Very small and quiet.  There are 4 tubs in the design as well. One in the cattery and 3 in the main bathing room.  Would love to have one electric. (have to see how that fits in the budget;)). and security cameras in the whole facility were a must. Thanks for letting me know I'm on the right track!

• January 8, 2016 7:43 PM CST

I built my dream studio in '14.  Things I especially love: really good ventilation. I have an awesome exhaust fan over my tub.  Super quiet, highly effecient.  Great natural light, lots of windows.  Ultra lift table,with a top that rotates 360 degrees.  Ultralift tub, too, very happy with it.  Hydrosurge recirculating bathing system.  Shammy Dog dryer, small, quiet, and pretty powerful (I don't do dogs over 60 lbs or so, so no Newfs and such.)  I have and love my Clipper Vac.  Good storage so the place looks clutter free.  Best wishes to you in your venture! 

Daryl

• January 9, 2016 10:18 AM CST

Thanks Daryl :) your shop sounds great! Fortunately, I think I'm on the right track.  Pretty much what you are all saying (except the bar of course, but I am still thinking about that:)) we are incorporating into the design.  I'm getting more excited knowing that it looks like I'm going in the right direction. The design calls for scissor trusses in the bathing/drying area with large exhaust fans on both sides of the room.  An electric tub will allow our large dogs to step right out of the tub and onto an "L" shaped drying bench.  There will be a mechanical room (soundproofed I hope) that will house the high velocity dryers on one side, cage dryers on the other and the hoses will go through the walls with remote switches.  Going to upgrade my clipper vac mini (which will go in the cattery) and purchase a 4 operator one which I hope will also go in the mechanical room. 

• January 9, 2016 6:50 PM CST

I love the idea of the mechanical room!  Great thinking!

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• January 9, 2016 9:57 PM CST

I, too, love the mechanical room idea! I have my hv in another room, with hose coming thru the wall...but my shop vac/dyi clipper vac is in an enclosed cabinet in my grooming room:  NOT THE SAME!!!  I want it gone!

• January 10, 2016 11:49 AM CST

I know! The constant drone of the HV dryers really wears on us.  I require ear protection for the people in the drying room, but that sure doesn't do much for us up front.  Fortunately I have a designer and a contractor that listen to what I'm saying.  My contractor has been in my current shop when it's going full throttle.  I have taken videos on my tablet for my designer so he can really see and hear what we are dealing with.  The mechanical room will also be highly ventilated to make sure the motors on everything stay as cool as possible.  I also have entrances to the mechanical room from both the inside and outside so if anything has to be serviced, the technicians don't have to go through any of the grooming/bathing areas.

You guys are awesome by the way.  Thanks so much for the feedback:)

• January 12, 2016 1:53 PM CST

sounds wonderful!  good luck.  I built my dream salon 20 years ago, and would not change a thing.  New equipment that has been introduced as had to be "worked" into the set up, so my dryers are not able to be in a different room, to keep them quiet. My taxi vac is very quiet.  I only have one  other person here so small set up works great. Everything in the same room is nice for us,no worrying about dogs being out of sight.  

where are you  building? is this building up or are you building the entire thing?  pictures please?  what colors are you using?  have fun!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel