Forums General Business Issues Shop Safety
  • Topic: Personal Protection

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 23, 2016 12:09 PM CST
    • Personal Protection

This is a combination post.  I say this because I don't want anyone to think I'm using the GL to post something misleading.

My daughter has taken a part time job as a bartender. It's a little craft brewery, just starting out so not a terribly busy place.  She often works it alone. As her mother, this scares me to death.  I don't sleep well until I know she has the placed closed up, is in her car, and safely on her way home.  With all that in mind, I have given a lot of thought the last few months to personal protection, her's and mine really.

Last week I was at an event and ran across a Damsel In Defense representative.  We had a great talk.  What impressed me was that she didn't go spouting statistics about how many women are raped every day. She didn't talk about high crime areas or meth heads or anything really scary. We talked about ways to feel safe.  I bought products for both my daughter and myself.  

That in turn had me take a good look at my lifestyle, the lifestyle of my friends and family.  I'm a really independent person.  I often do things by myself. I travel all over the country alone.  If there is a movie I want to see and everyone has other plans, I have no problem going by myself to see it.  The people in our lives are often very similar to ourselves.  Most of my friends are also independent.

Many of my friends are groomers. They work alone in their shops.  They get to work early in the morning and sometimes stay very late.  They travel to dog shows, grooming shows and other events by themselves.  Some are dog walkers, which usually has a very predictable pattern of when they are out and about by themselves.  In talking to them, most never think much about personal protection.  For most, when they do think about it, it brings guns to mind. Personally, I do not want the responsibility of a lethal weapon. I know myself. I know it would end up buried in the bottom of my purse, because really, in most places you can't walk to your car carrying a loaded gun in your hand. By the time I would get it out of my purse, heck I'd probably be so nervous about the situation happening that needed it, that I'd probably shoot my own foot off. LOL

So this post is two fold. First, I am very curious how you all handle your personal protection in the salon as well as to and from it.  I have always kept a can of long range wasp spray next to my table. :)

Second, I want to introduce you to some products for personal safety.  We are bombarded with stories on the news and Facebook about being targeted for crimes. I will not do that. We all know it's there. We don't need to be made to feel too afraid to leave our homes. We should be able to travel, run errands, and walk to our cars with a peace of mind that we have prepared ourselves to the best of our ability should we become the target of a crime.

If you are interested in anything, please feel free to contact me.  I will also put information on the Groomers Sidelines section over the next few days. Feel free to check it out as well.

Please, be safe. We all have people and clients that count on us to be there for them.

Barb

http://www.mydamselpro.net/PRO11345/

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel