Forums General Customer Relations Would you believe?!?
  • Topic: Bad review threat

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 13, 2016 7:12 AM CST
    • Bad review threat

I've had this amazing run of great new clients.  Some I dreaded, like 4 Chihuahuas for toenail trims, a 16 year old Yorkie, but they were all good dogs and nice owners. That was until Thursday......

She called and made the appointment mentioning she was a former client of a groomer that has moved away and had been unhappy with the last grooming somewhere else. I had a note that price was not discussed.

So Thursday comes and she gets here about 15 minutes late. There's a vibe I get right from the moment she walked in the door. We go through the paperwork and she lives just 2 blocks away. The dog is a very heavy coated Pom and quite matted. The coat was definitely saveable, but it was going to take more time than if she was not matted. At that point I hadn't looked at the book to see that a price hadn't been quoted. Doing the right thing, I informed her that because of the matting, the dog would be more than the price quote. Even when I do quote, I ALWAYS include that there could be additional charges if the dog is matted.

She agrees there is matting and says her husband was going to brush the dog the other day but she told him not to as she didn't want all the hair in the house.  Then she asked me how much. I informed her of my base price and said I couldn't give her an exact quote on the additional because I didn't know how long it would take.  She asks me how much if the dog was done every 4 weeks.  I again told her my base price. She tells me that her former groomer charged her $30, the last place was $40 and Petsmart was about $45 (my quote) but this surely isn't Petsmart.....  I ignored the snide comment. She continues with telling me that IF she likes what I do, since I am more convenient, she just might have me be her regular groomer, as if she was doing me this huge favor.

At this point I know my good client streak is over and my mind is swimming with ways to send her back out the door. She's pushing for an exact price. As I try to explain I can not give her an exact one, she continues to talk over me. She then asks how much if I just shave the dog. I again tell her my base price. Ok, she wants a lion trim. So I begin to discuss her version of lion, where she wants the mane to start. " You know, like a cat!"  Sigh.....  So I use my fingers to signify a shaved length and ask her again if that is what she wants. Yes it is. She starts talking about Petsmart again.  I double check that the dog is a house dog (because I want her to understand that when she says shave, I am thinking shaved as in short). Yes, of course the dog is a house dog. I show her and ask her again, making sure she really wants the dog shaved into a lion trim.  Then she finally says she wants her a half an inch. To which I inform her that with a half an inch trim, there would likely still be additional charges for the matting. She agrees and I begin to walk over to put the dog in a kennel.  She starts in on how much additional, all this time, while yes I have told her I can not give her an exact price, she never lets me finish with even a rough estimate. She then says, "Well I am NOT paying $60 for a grooming!" 

At this point I am walking back to the counter with the dog, I need to find a way to send her packing. I let her know that's only $15 above the quote and it could very well be that much. Thankfully she decides she is NOT leaving the dog with me and informs me that she will just go to Petsmart as THEY won't charge her additional for matting.  I do believe she was a bit suprised when I didn't hesitate to give her the dog back. :)  On her way out the door, she turns around and informs me that she will NOT be leaving me a good review.

A couple of key points to this story, that really make it kind of funny. First, I find it funny that she is thinking of writing a review about me and my grooming when I didn't ever groom the dog.  Second, and the best part, she lives TWO blocks from me. She could walk here quicker than it would take to get in the car, get it started, and drive here.  The nearest Petsmart is 45 minutes away.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:
    • February 13, 2016 10:03 AM CST
    • Bad review threat

this type of thing is so annoying.  If it helps you in the future, I compare the grooming to car repairs when checking in clients that I cannot give a firm price to.  they seem to understand if I get in there and find additional things that need work, it costs more.  

SO the other day I had a yorkie that had not been in a year. DUMB ME, I thought they had taken her someplace else or cut or brushed the hair themselves. NO, she was so matted, well, I don't need to tell you.

I told her it would be "extra" but I did not know how much.

I could not see anything I was trying to clip. Ran into grass, some other stuff (food?  dewclaw? sticks? poop?)  

I charged her $20 extra and she had no problem with it, but I recommended she take the dog to the vet, because at check out while the lady was holding her SOMETHING on her back foot (dew claw?  thorn?) started bleeding. I put a cotton ball on it and vet wrapped, and showed her that there was no blood on the blanket she was laying on, on the floor she ran across, but she must have snagged something on the ladies purse or coat or belt while she was wiggling at check out.

THe lady was very nice and asked how long she should leave the "bandaid" on the dog. I said if it were my dog, I'd just take her to the vet, I am not a vet tech, it is not a real bandage, I do not know why this happened.  

I am quite sure the dog was left with the wrap on until she either chewed it off or it fell off. If the lady can't take the dog to the groomer in a year, she sure won't go to the vet.  I feel bad for the dog, but am angry at the owner.  

anyway, my long off topic point is, (sorry about that) you are lucky she left.  I wish my client had left and she had bigger problems than your potential client.  I doubt your client will leave a review, but wow, those reviews are getting to be a problem for some business, aren't they?  any way to block that option?  

• The following users say thanks to Chilly for this useful post:
    • February 13, 2016 3:43 PM CST
    • Bad review threat

Yes, I am glad she left. There was something about her from the moment she walked in that I didn't like about  her.

So far, no reviews that I can find.  I have luckily never had any yelp reviews, good or bad. I prefer it that way.  :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 13, 2016 10:31 PM CST
    • Bad review threat

Sometimes you can just tell from the get go.
      I had a new client today that I was kind of leary of that turned out good.

Because you can never have too much of a goat thing.

• February 13, 2016 10:34 PM CST
    • Bad review threat

Oh it's nice to be pleasantly surprised!

Barb

• The following users say thanks to tuckie for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel