Forums General Groomer Health and Safety Back, Muscle, Joints
  • Topic: A Better Me

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 17, 2016 8:23 PM CDT
    • A Better Me

I used to think that grooming kept me fairly active. I walk from the table to the tub, from the tub to the kennels, from the kennels to the table, from the table to the kennels, all day long. I was surprised when I got a fitness tacker bracelet that I was not hitting anywhere near the target number of steps per day.

The other day, I bought a small used appliance. It should have been easy to move. A few years ago I could have done it with ease. Instead, it was really difficult and I felt it for 2 days. It was then that I realized that I am really out of shape. I know I’ve gained some weight, but I still thought I was pretty fit and strong. I need a good exercise routine, but who has the time? I am not a morning person, so finding motivation for a pre work workout just was not happening. After work and errands and dinner, the night is practically gone. Given the choice of a 30 minute work out or a bit of relaxing with a glass of wine and a good book and the wine and book wins every time.

Yes, I do know these are all just empty excuses. If I was truly motivated to get fit I would find the time. All the same, they are my excuses and the reasons I don’t make the time.

This was on my mind today while drying a dog. Drying has always been my thinking time. I can come up with the best ideas and plans during a long blow out. So I came up with a plan. If I can work my mind while drying, why not work my body too?

Over the course of drying 3 dogs, I did 50 squats, 10 side leg lift on each leg, and 10 back leg lifts on each leg. Then I remembered the exercise band we used to use in a class I took a long time ago. Every time I had a towel in my hand, I did a few of those exercises. All these were done over a few hours and I wondered if doing small short bursts of exercise gave the same benefits as one long work out?

I was super pleased to find out that research says it is beneficial! In some cases, it can even be better for you. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/ask-well-3-short-workouts-or-1-long-one/?_r=0

Here’s to a new year and hopefully a new and improved me, without cutting in to my wine and good book time.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• The following users say thanks to Crystal for this useful post:
    • March 20, 2016 2:43 PM CDT
    • A Better Me

I love it!!!  We are on the SAME WAVE LENGTH!!!  I joined a gym a few months ago, thinking it is now or never.  Last week I took a pair of 5# dumbbells out to my shop, thinking I would use them when I had a few minutes between dogs.  I also used that time to do some "counter push-ups".  IT WORKED GREAT, and now I'll add your suggestions about leg lifts & squats.  Never occurred to me to make use of my drying time, THANK YOU!  I did get a couple funny comments from clients about the dumbbells, "I don't think Fluffy can lift those. Are you gonna make Fluffy exercise, etc"

• March 20, 2016 8:31 PM CDT
    • A Better Me

Counter push ups! Great idea and the weights too!

Thanks!

It helps me to do them knowing that a few here and there is just as good as doing them all at once. I found myself doing leg lifts while I washed the dishes today. :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• March 21, 2016 2:06 PM CDT
    • A Better Me

I used to have time to bike 4 or 5 times a week. not anymore.  

I asked my daughter the other day if constant motion counted at all as exercise and she told me that there is new research that says it is very good to move constantly.

So between horses, their care, stall cleaning, hay tossing, riding them,  then my grooming and the farm, I never sit more than 20 minutes at a time.

is being so exhausted you can barely stay awake past 9pm a good indication of getting enough activity?  

my weight and all are the same as they have always been, but pushing 60 this year, makes me sad I am still working so hard at WORK and not having time to work out.

You guys are reallllly working!  man, I can't even believe you can do exercises while grooming.  Grooming seems like exercise enough!  good for you!

• March 21, 2016 2:11 PM CDT
    • A Better Me

I always thought I moved around a lot while grooming, but when I got the fitness band and tracked my steps, I was suprised to see I wasn't near as active as I had thought.

I was in a car accident in November so my winter activity level was much lower than normal as I recovered. I'm sure that has contributed to my feelings of being SO out of shape!

Barb

• The following users say thanks to Chilly for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel