Forums General Business Issues Pricing Issues
  • Topic: Need advice badly!!!!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 29, 2016 2:56 PM CDT
    • Need advice badly!!!!

I am at my wits end, almost to the point of closing my salon. I've semi retired anyway but have some great stylists and would hate to put them out of work. Here's my first problem. I've had more and more clients, usually new ones wanting to know if the price will be the same if they bathe the dog at home. I always tell them no and that we would prefer to bathe them so they are freshly clean and there is no oil build up, I really want to say no because I know you won't bathe your dog well enough. Here's the 2nd problem. I had this lady, being nice because she was no lady, try to stop payment on a groom. She was a new client, a shop hopper and she wanted her dogs nails grind after clipping but never told us. She called back after a WEEK and we told her to bring the dog back and we would grind the nails at no extra charge since she waited a week. I know some salons automatically grind nails but we do not. Do ya'll charge extra to grind or just throw it in with the groom?? I'm an ol' school groomer and grinding has just recently became popular in my area. This lady said she was going to contact her lawyer. What am I doing wrong here??
    • August 29, 2016 2:59 PM CDT
    • Need advice badly!!!!

Exactly what was she going to call her lawyer about? That's the silliest thing I have ever heard.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• August 29, 2016 3:07 PM CDT
    • Need advice badly!!!!

Because she said we didn't follow through with what we offered. She never asked! We would have been more than happy to have ground the dogs nails but she didn't mention it, but she did mention she was the 4th salon that she had been to. Poor dog!!!
    • August 29, 2016 11:45 PM CDT
    • Need advice badly!!!!

Disregard woman - she is one of those people who mistreats anyone in service industry. Don't groom again

She would need proof that you provide grinding as part of service & didn't perform it. Some shops do, some don't, some only if paid extra, there is no standard of grinding as part of groom. It would only be worth $5-10 anyway. If she tries to say dog damaged something or scratched her, no guarantee it wouldn't happened with filed nails - that is part of pet ownership.

I had to deal with similar clients & while hard not go take it personally, it isn't. I have seen same bad clients acting the same way at other businesses.

• August 30, 2016 6:51 AM CDT
    • Need advice badly!!!!

I agree, don't waste any time worrying about her.  It's a $10 service. She would be paying hundreds to a lawyer for what?? What in the world could a lawyer do for her?

Should she decide to write a bad review on Yelp or some other online media, I would answer it factually. " I'm sorry you feel you did not get the services you paid for at our salon. We file nails only on request. You never requested to have them filed. At no time did you ask about filing.  When you called back one week later to complain, we offered you the opportunity to come in and we would do them at no additional charge. That offer is still open."

As for having the owners bathe, I always charge the same price and unless specifically requested, I rebathe the dog anyway.  " The bath is included in the price. There is no discount if the dog is bathed at home. In fact, it usually takes longer to trim the hair of a dog bathed at home, as the prep work is very important to get a smooth finished groom. Some coats require product or special shampoos to look it's best. The coat must be fluff dried so there is no curl or wave in the coat. We also need the feet to be clean, meaning they can not be outside on the ground, in order to keep our tools in good working order. If there is a medical or behavior issue that requires your pet to be prebathed at home, we can accomodate that, but you must be aware that the quality of the finished groom will be effected by that."

I totally get your frustration! Some days we seem overwhelmed by clients that just do not understand or that love to be difficult! It sure makes you rethink your career choice!

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• August 30, 2016 4:38 PM CDT
    • Need advice badly!!!!

I forgot the bath part. I also keep same price & do baths with only exception being if dog has severe health issue that could stress dog too much.

The easiest way is to mention expressing the anal glands & the odor which they surely would want dog to have bath. Plus you see things during bath & dry  that cannot be seen as easily just clipping.(like fleas!)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel