Forums General Groomer Health and Safety Bites and Groomer Injuries
  • Topic: After 49 years and this happens-SO SCARED!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 28, 2016 2:25 PM CST
    • After 49 years and this happens-SO SCARED!

I haven't been on in a long time but there is something I need to talk about and only other groomers will truly understand.  I have heard of horror stories in our business but not often.

This past Thursday I was bathing an Akita with the shop manager and we got all around his back and back end and underneath with no problems with the dog at all.  I had the shampoo on my hand and bent slightly to put it on his shoulder and the next thing I knew I was trying to get his face from around the left side of my face.  I am shaking even talking about it right now.  There was no warning and there was no provocation that would cause this. 

He tore a 6" long by 2" wide laceration from behind my ear down close to my neck.  The doctor said if it had been another inch or so he would have gotten the jugular vein.  He also tore off the top quarter of my ear and put 2 large deep lacerations above my left eye.  An ambulance came and got me and took me to the local hospital where they irrigated it and gave me the medicine I needed and a tetnus shot.  I waited from 11:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. for transport to come and take me to Washington Hospital Center because I needed a plastic surgeon and they didn't have one there.  Finally got to WHC at 9:30 p.m. and they checked it out and irrigated it again and by this time it was 1:30 a.m. and they said the surgery would take place on Friday, and it did.  Then they kept me from then until Christmas Even when they let me go home.  Lot of antibiotics and pain meds although I don't need all that much pain medication.  In the surgery there was a flap of tissue from the large tear in back of my head that they could attach my ear to for fresh blood flow and then later they can cut it out and around the ear to make it look like some semblance of an ear.  God was with me that day or I could have been dead.  My biggest thing right now is I keep flash-backing to it happening over and over again and I get panicky and frightened all over again.  And now I am even dreaming of my good customer's big dogs that I did in the past attacking me for no reason. I have made the decision I will never do another big dog again.  I know there are lots that might say well it was only a one time thing or most aren't like that and after 49 years of grooming everything I know that but I will never do it again. This one time horror story has negated any good that came of the 49 years of grooming. I have had a couple ask me if I am going to sue.  I am thinking about it.  These medical bills are going to be so high I am going to need help in paying them and I lost the money I needed to make to pay my new car payment and my increased car insurance.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them?  How did you get over the constant reminder popping up out of nowhere?  I was always been known to work with difficult dogs but you know or you have been warned but this came out of nowhere!  I am just so scared and catch myself crying because of the way this has affected me.  I have never been afraid of a dog in my life.  And this is a different scared feeling; it is a panicky scared feeling.

Happy New Year to all!

Karen

• December 28, 2016 2:42 PM CST

Oh my gosh I am so sorry this happened to you. I can not even imagine how you must feel. 

I think I would feel the same way about doing big dogs. I am super cautious of them anyway, just because they often are at face level. I tend to muzzle a lot of them just to make myself at ease. I know if I am leary or worried, they can pick up on that. By having them muzzled, I can go about my work, giving them no second thought, which keeps me at ease and in turn them more at ease.

I know a lot of groomers have a thing against muzzles. I feel if they are well fitted and the dog is not fighting it, it does no harm at all.

You'll be in my thoughts for continued healing both physically and emotionally.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:
    • December 28, 2016 2:56 PM CST

Thank you Barb!

I have always been cautious but never afraid of dogs.  I have always seemed to have an affimity with them.  It is like they know "don't push me" and I know and try to work around and with them with any quirks they might have.  Just knowing dogs can get you a long way in our industry.  But this dog; there was no warning; absolutely nothing to warn me or nothing I felt.  It was just nothing.  Fine one second and the next it happened.

And I will use a muzzle if I feel I need it but there was nothing to make me think there was a problem.  He had already let us wash his back, top of his head and neck and butt and underneath and then he just wacked out.

I need to see if I can heal emotionally most of all.  I keep asking why would he do that?  I know if it has teeth then it can and will but you know what I mean. 

• December 28, 2016 3:07 PM CST

Those kinds of dogs are scary as hell. I've worked on a few over the years. Thank God they never succeeded at getting to me. I'm sure much of it was pure luck. It sure leaves you rattled.

It also does leave you with a lot of questions of why it happened. What made the dog have such an extreme reaction over something so minor?

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• December 28, 2016 3:18 PM CST

It's stories like this that make me very very carfeul around big dogs. Sorry this happened to you. I would think you will need to talk to someone, like a therapist, to help deal with the feelings you are feeling about this now. Kinda like PTSD. My husband has to talk to a counselor to deal with his PTSD (he was in a bad fire in 2001 and has flashbacks) and it helps him greatly.

• December 28, 2016 3:24 PM CST

Dear Karen, I am so sorry this happened to you.  As was said above, I am sure you have PTSD.  That will cause the flash backs and even bad dreams.  If you are an employee, workman's comp should cover the medical bills.  You might even get disability.  What does your Employer say about all this ?

• December 28, 2016 3:30 PM CST

Sorry this happened to you, so scary! I agree with everyone else. Please talk to someone. I have had two bites in my life, both before I was a groomer. One as a child was in my face needing many stitches. It's ok to be scared, but know you can and will get through the fear. ((Hugs))
    • December 28, 2016 4:50 PM CST

Omgoodness, Karen!! I am so sorry that this happened to you!! I think the flashbacks are probably pretty normal at this time, your brain is still processing a recent shocking occurence.  Give your self some time, you really had a close call! I don't groom anything over 25 pounds anymore, haven't for quite some time. I'm 55 and plan on grooming the rest of my life, grooming only smalls saves my back and I can make a lot more money grooming the littles.  If in a few weeks you are still having problems, ask your doctor about prescribing something to help, I have ativan for anxiety, I rarely have to take it, but it does help when I can't handle the feelings that anxiety can cause.  You may need to talk to a counselor too!

• December 28, 2016 5:02 PM CST

Karen, I can't even imagine your horror.  I wish you speedy healing and please do take care of your emotional health.  There are some really nice self guided meditations by Tara Brach (free) online.  When you have a few moments to yourself listen to a few of them, they have really helped me find peace when I get that panicky feeling.  So scary, I will be thinking of you every time I lean in on a big dog!

I groom, therefore I am.

• December 28, 2016 6:55 PM CST

You are right. The doctor also said the same thing about finding a counselor.  I have thought about this seriously but at this point my medicals are going to be outrageous. 
      I am always careful of big dogs also but you would never have thought this dog would have done this just for the fact he showed no aggression at all.  It is much better when they do show it and you are aware of the aggression.  With him there was just nothing and no reason to think he was going to do this.
      It can happen with smaller dogs too although it is easier to get away from a smaller dog as long as you leave yourself enough room all the away around your table. 
      Purple Poodle Pet Bows said:

It's stories like this that make me very very carfeul around big dogs. Sorry this happened to you. I would think you will need to talk to someone, like a therapist, to help deal with the feelings you are feeling about this now. Kinda like PTSD. My husband has to talk to a counselor to deal with his PTSD (he was in a bad fire in 2001 and has flashbacks) and it helps him greatly.

• December 28, 2016 6:57 PM CST

Thanks to all of your responses.  I think only another groomer can understand the horror of the situation especially when this is the way we make our money. 

I will be glad when this is down the road some and maybe I won't be so panicky anymore.

• December 30, 2016 12:46 PM CST

Oh, Karen, I am sooooo sorry.  I am horrified.  The worst grooming incident I've ever read.  As others said, please get help...it's what workers' comp is for as well as biz insurance.  If those are not available, then I encourage you to take care of yourself with an attorney...try, please try, to not feel guilty for needing to take care of yourself...THIS WAS NOT YOUR FAULT!!!

• January 12, 2017 6:39 AM CST

Hey Karen, how ya doing?

Barb

• January 24, 2017 12:59 AM CST

first off I am sorry this happened

second, I was bit in the face by a rottie when I was 23 ( while grooming). 23 stitches around my eye and face. ( you could almost see the bone under my eye) 

i sued for medical bills and pain/suffering. that is what insurance is for

third, I have an Akita (my second) and I have special insurance on him for this very reason. 

fourth, I had only been grooming a for a few month when this happened. fast forward 23 years and I am still grooming. Business owner for the last 18. It did not stop me but I will not groom rotties. A wierd feeling comes over me and that in itself makes the dog nervous too. no biggie, I have gotten along just fine not dealing with the breed. 

good luck

if you sue, dont feel bad. a responsible Akita owner will understand. if they don't then they should have the breed and more reason to sue. Akitas can be very dangerous in the wrong hands, They are also very wonderful and loving in the proper care. not a breed for just anyone. Rotties also.

and last but not least... sorry so choppy and all over the place and crappy grammar.  it is late and I justt came here to look in the classifieds. I havent logged in for 3 years or so! way past my bedtime!! 

nighty night! 

• February 9, 2017 9:07 PM CST

How frightening! I wouldn't blame you a bit to refuse large dogs.
      I hope you give us an update soon.

Because you can never have too much of a goat thing.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel