Forums General Business Issues Daycare Services
  • Topic: New Boarding Kennel and Grooming Area Problems

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 18, 2017 11:27 AM CST
    • New Boarding Kennel and Grooming Area Problems

I posted this on another forum but wanted feedback from you guys, too. Thanks so much.

Hi all! Need some feedback, please. I just opened my second grooming location in a brand new boarding facility. The problem is the owner lets the daycare dogs roam free in an area where my grooming customers have to walk to get to my grooming area (I've leased space inside the boarding kennel). My grooming customers show up and have to run the gauntlet with a half a dozen dogs running around wily nily. Several of my customers said they would not be back (but would bring their dog to my other location for grooming). I've talked to the owner several times about safety but nothing (so far) is done. It's her boarding kennel -- and she can run it like she wants. I'm wondering if a grooming shop inside this type of business wasn't such a good idea. I feel the situation is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• February 18, 2017 11:31 AM CST

I agree with your feelings there. I know I would not want to try to walk my dog through a bunch of strange dogs and chaos to get there. 

You would think the daycare owner would feel the same. Your grooming dogs are not part of the daycare pack and having strange dogs walking through without a proper introduction is just asking for trouble. Then again, a lot of daycare people don't have a ton of dog behavior knowledge.....

Is the location good otherwise?  Would it be possible and a good investment to put a door to the outside in or near the grooming area for a separate entrance?

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 19, 2017 3:02 PM CST

I would think the owner is missing out on additional biz by not making a good AND RESPONSIBLE impression with your clients.  

My shop is built off the back of my house.  Clients have to go through my gate & follow the path around back, through the yard.  I make sure my dogs do not have access to my yard when new clients are coming.  Then, I ask if the new client/dog want to meet my dogs (2 st poo) because they do such an excellent job welcoming guests & helping them feel comfortable.  Never unsupervised & never want a client to feel they are "walking the gauntlet".

• February 20, 2017 10:26 PM CST

Thanks for the feedback. I have a sit down meeting with the owner tomorrow so I'm hoping we can work this out. Her first response was maybe I could have the grooming customers wait up front and then I could "walk them back." That doesn't make sense to me -- the customers will still have to deal with loose/unleashed daycare dogs. She's a nice lady but has no real dog boarding/daycare experience (just a dog lover mainly involved with pitbull dog rescue) so it'll be interesting to see how things work out. Will keep you posted! Thanks again.

• February 21, 2017 6:10 AM CST

I find a lot of daycare people have little dog experience. 

I hope you two can find a way to make it work. I think it's a beneficial business relationship for both of you.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel