Forums Site Information News and Announcements
  • Topic: Salon owner closing and working for another salon.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 11, 2017 5:28 PM CDT
    • Salon owner closing and working for another salon.

I am hoping to get much-needed advice from a grooming salon owner. I have been in business for 12 years. My business has remained consistently busy through the years and I have amazing clients. I have tried through the years to get reliable employees with no luck.I am in a state of burn out and ready to throw in the towel. I have worked many years to get where I am, but I no longer can keep up. I am contemplating working for someone else and closing my shop. Has anyone else done this and if so what were the results? I have had another business owner tell me how difficult it is to work for someone else once you have had your own salon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • September 11, 2017 8:53 PM CDT

It really depends on you. Are you able to give up control? Are you able to do things as someone else wants and not how you would do it?  Can you sit back and let someone else do things that you may not agree with or may think your way is better?

I have my own salon that I work Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I work at a clinic. I'm mostly in charge of what I do, but occasionally I do have to do something different per the clinic owner.  On Saturdays, I work at a private salon.  I have to bite my tongue often. Not because they do things wrong, just different and I think my way would be better. :)  BUT it's not my place. I am an employee. My job is to do as I'm told, to do things the way they want them done, plain and simple.  It can be very difficult. If you are able to separate yourself, and always remember that you work for them, it's not bad. 

Are there specific areas that you are having problems with in your shop?  Maybe we can come up with ideas to push you through them and remember why you liked being your own boss.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• September 12, 2017 5:17 PM CDT

I'm sad reading your post.  Although I haven't faced your situation in the grooming world...I faced it in a different line of work:

Sometimes I was frustrated and had to "hold my tongue" & sometimes I was SO RELIEVED for not having to deal with the problem!

Any chance you could groom from home, picking the "cream of the crop" and charging a premium for "private grooming"?  I groom from home and VERY VERY RARELY experience any anxiety...and when I do, I fire the client.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel