Forums General Business Issues Checks and Credit Cards
  • Topic: Anyone Take Credit Cards Online?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 14, 2012 6:59 PM CDT
    • Anyone Take Credit Cards Online?

I just saw a commercial for Square (?)...a usb device that allows iphone owners to take cards online.  Since I don't have an iphone, I wanted to know if anyone takes credit cards through internet.  What company do you use and your fees?  Also do you charge differently for accepting cards?  Like a service or processing fee.

• May 14, 2012 8:34 PM CDT

I use PayPal for processing credit card payments for the advertising here. The buyer does not have to have a PayPal account. They can pay with their credit card.

I believe it is illegal to charge someone to use a credit card for payment. You can though, offer a discount for cash payments.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• May 15, 2012 7:57 AM CDT

I use Chase Paymentech here. My rates are low, I have a reader on the side of the computer which hooks to a USB port. I've not had any problems with them. Were I mobile, I'd use 4square. You can't charge your clients for use of their CCs if you accept them. On the other hand.....you CAN offer a discount for cash...that's how most places get around it. You have ONE price but if they pay in cash you offer a discount. I don't do that but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein

• May 15, 2012 9:08 PM CDT

Why can my electric company  charge me a "processing fee" when paying with my credit card when making payment over the phone and I have seen this on other business too.

PECO has partnered with BillMatrix to bring you the convenience of last minute payment. Pay by credit card, debit card, or authorized e-check via phone or online.

BillMatrix will apply a processing fee of $3.50 to each transaction

I found this through a search...

VISA states:

For merchant who offer an alternative payment channel (i.e., mail, telephone, or e-commerce) for customers to pay for goods or services, a convenience fee may be added to the transaction amount. If the merchant chooses to asses a convenience fee to its customers, the merchant must adhere to the following rules:

• The fee is being charged for a bona fide convenience of using an alternate payment channel outside of the merchant's normal business practice
      • The Fee:
        • Must be disclosed to customers as a charge for alternate payment channel convenience
        • Is applied only to non face-to-face transactions (There is an exception - Please see Visa Tax Payment Program)
        • Must be a flat or fixed amount regardless of the amount of payment due
        • Is included as part of the total transaction
        • Cannot be added to recurring transactions
        • Is assessed by the merchant that provides goods and services to the cardholder and not by a third party
      • The customer must be given the opportunity to cancel prior to the completion of the transaction

If you do fall into the business categkeory that can charge a convenience fee on VISA transactions, you'll notice that in addition to the other rules, the fee must be a flat rate regardless of the order total.

What is you take on what it means by e-commerce?..does that mean using PayPal as you processing service (like BillMatix) you can charge a fee?

I haven't taken cards because of the fees.

• May 15, 2012 9:15 PM CDT

I don't want to sound rude......... Did you copy and paste that or retype it all?  If you copied and pasted it, I would be leary of the source as their are a lot of spelling mistakes.  I would go to the VISA site to verify the information.

If it's all correct, grooming may not count as it's a face to face transaction, most of the time. Also it says it can't be added to recurring transactions. Could that be considered a standing grooming appointment?

Your processing fees are deductible as a business expense.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• May 17, 2012 9:41 AM CDT

To pick this thread up again, my interest has been piqued about Square. I am looking at getting a smart phone since I somehow managed to lose my cell phone and it would make more sense with some changes I am planning for my business.

Does anyone here use Square that can answer my questions? Do you use it with your smart phone? Can it do debit or credit only? Do you have an issue with people handling your phone to sign the receipt? Any clients have an issue with not getting a printed receipt? I have heard people attching to printers, have you done this? Has anyone used Square attached to their computer without a smartphone?If so, how do you handle signing?

2.75% and the money deposited the net day is very lucrative. Business sucks so I am still in reducing costs wherever I can mode. I know that the fees are deductible and it's a zero net but I'd prefer to not have to pay the money in the first place. I ran some quick numbers and I stand to save over $100 a month in fees. I'd rather keep that in my pocket every month and figure out how to make it deductible later!

Thanks in advance!

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• May 18, 2012 9:18 AM CDT

I know the place where I get tobacco uses it. They've taken both my debit and credit card and printed a receipt. My sometime Sharpener uses it as well and emails me a receipt. I've used Chase for so long that I've not had a problem and am paying a lower rate these days. However, if Visa starts charging anymore on monthly fees just for taking it, I'm either going to stop taking Visa or go to Square. 

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein

• May 18, 2012 2:33 PM CDT

It's not the the rate that VISA charges. There's the cc fee and then transmital and compliance and a ton of other crap. Between all the interchange charges, service charges and then fees (yes, they are all separate categories) and all the other crap they add on, taking cc's loses about 6% off the initial receipt. Too much in the banks pocket.

I've now started looking into Intuit also. Intuit has 2 programs. One is a flat 2.7% per transaction and the other is 1.7% and a $12.95 monthly fee. If you collect more than $1300 in cc's in a month, the monthly saves even more money.

My biggest fear s a clueless persont hat thinks they need to gouge the scren in order to sign their name. How durable are the smartphone screens? Anyone have this issue?

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• May 18, 2012 8:52 PM CDT

You can put a plastic coating on the screen to protect it. Check out Zaggdotcom, they are the bomb :-)
    • May 19, 2012 12:49 AM CDT

EXCELLENT!!! That is perfect. Thanks for the site. $14.99 for a screen protector. I can also get a paw print skin for $19.99. Laughing

Charles Dickens

• May 22, 2012 7:15 AM CDT

Uodating...maybe my findings can help someone else.

I would up with an HTC Vivid. Fit my budget perfectly, the phone cost me only $49.99. Talk about a learning curve! The phone may be smart, the user, not so much yet!

I had decided on Inuit for the savings and went to apply, yes apply, for it yeaterday. You have to apply for the privilege of giving them your money. While they do a simple % per transaction fee per swipe, it is billed each month. Since it is a removal from your bank account in one sum, you have to apply for credit! If you don't to personally guarantee the payments (meaning a personal credit check, not a business one) you have to answer a ton of questions, provide corporate information and several months worth of bank statements! There is a reason I incorporated!!! The reason was to keep my personal completely out of my business!! Too many hoops to jump through for amounts to about $10-20 a month in savings. Also, it takes 2-3 business days for money to transfer into you account.

So today I will sign up for a Square account. There appears to be no hoops to jump through because they remove their 2.7% before they transfer the money into your account the next DAY. There are reviews online that compare the 2 companies head to head and for simple useage, they were comparable. So Square it is, I'll post how that works out.

I'm told I need to get a case for the phone to protect it if I drop it or whatever. I was never kind to my cell phone in the past but I'm practically afraid of this one! Right now it't cradled in a pouch in my handbag, riding in style!

Charles Dickens

• May 22, 2012 7:19 AM CDT

The IPhone screens crack VERY easily! 

If you are hard on a phone, you may want to invest in the Otterbox case (I'm guessing they make them for your phone?)  You are supposed to be able to throw the phone across the room and not have any damage with one of these.

They are a bit big and bulky but worth the money.

Barb

• May 22, 2012 7:50 AM CDT

I have an Otter box for my iphone. There are many models and mine is neither big nor bulky. The iphone 4 is especially vulnerable as BOTH sides are made of corning glass. I've dropped mine several times and been fine with it. DH drops his constantly and works in the Sod industry so he's got it out in all sorts of things. The Otterbox has never let him down either. 

• May 22, 2012 8:49 AM CDT

THANK YOU for the tips, I will look into it.

Charles Dickens

• May 22, 2012 8:58 AM CDT

Any phone with a touchscreen is fragile, I've got a Nexus & the screen is already cracked
    • May 23, 2012 8:52 AM CDT

I signed up for Square yesterday, it could not have been easier! Withing seconds of submitting, the text for the app download appeared on my phone. Downloaded with no issues, I logged in and the swipe screen came right up. Now I just have to wait for the reader, 2-3 business days. I checked this morning and they already did a test deposit and reversal in my checking account. So far, so very good!

I looked into Otterbox. Not sure which way I'll go as far as a case. Many complaints about the Otterbox (for my phone) and the screen protector. I'll keep searching around and then make a decision. It's not that I'm SO hard on a phone, it's just that I was always careless with my old one because I could be. It was always in my hand or in my pocket or sitting on something so I'd sometimes drop it and it was always fine. I know better with this one!

Charles Dickens

• June 9, 2012 8:11 AM CDT

Catsmom, how has it been using Square? I did the numbers with Chase paymentech a bit ago and it's not the percentage but the other fees that are killing me here. I've been considering switching to Square using my iPad here in the shop. 

• June 9, 2012 8:37 PM CDT

It's WONDERFUL!!!! LOL

My only issue so far has been that i have lousy cell phone service in my shop. I have had trouble connecting at times and I've had to resort to the old card machine. I am going to add a router to my internet and I'll be able to connect by WiFi to my own internet and then there won't be any connectivity issues.

Other than that, it is PERFECT. 2.75% comes out and the balance is in my checking account the next day. No fees, nothing. No equipment to purchase or rent. The swipe is very easy. I had some issues at first but it prompts you to swipe faster!! I was being too tentative. Just press the app, enter the $ amount, swipe and it goes to the signature screen (I did purchase a screen protector). They sign, hit DONE and it asks how to send the receipt, text or email.

I am extremely pleased and can't wait to set up my wireless to tell the bank to so shove their fees, interchange charges, service charges, transaction fees. It is great and thank you to K9 for making me aware of it.

Charles Dickens

• June 9, 2012 8:38 PM CDT

Oh, and it emails a copy of the receipt and transaction to you and then sends another email to confirmt he amount sent to your bank account. Laughing

Yeah, happy dance!

Charles Dickens

• July 6, 2012 4:50 PM CDT

I just started taking credit/debit cards last year. I average about 5-8 transactions a month. It costs me about 10% of my credit card receipts in fees!  I think it's too much. I need to pay more attention to expenses here and I could sure use that extra 10% in MY pocket.

I googled Square and read some comparisons between Square & Intuit.
      My beautician uses square and they have a sign up that they add on fees according to the total amount.  My mechanic charges an additional fee to accept a credit card payment.

Because you can never have too much of a goat thing.

• July 6, 2012 5:05 PM CDT

From what I read, you can't charge a "fee" for someone "using" a credit card.  My thought is why can't we charge a processing or service "charge" like other businesses (if I pay my electric bill with a card over the phone they charge me an extra fee).  I was told merchants can have one price and a discount for paying with cash or check...really what is the differnce?  Raising your price 2.75% to cover the people using the cards or just adding it to the price...doesn't really make sense does it?  I really would like to be able to take cards by my laptop.  I don't have an iphone and if I got one the internet fee and iphone would probably be as much as a regular credit card system.

• July 6, 2012 5:12 PM CDT

My hubby signed me up for Square when it first came out and I have never used it once in my business. At this time I accept cash or check only. No issues thus far.

• July 6, 2012 9:29 PM CDT

I use Square at least once every other day. Some days half my clients use it. I love it! It is MUCH cheaper than my traditional credit card machine (which I have been meaning to call and cancel). . . 

• July 7, 2012 8:08 AM CDT

k9blades said:

I really would like to be able to take cards by my laptop.  I don't have an iphone and if I got one the internet fee and iphone would probably be as much as a regular credit card system.

I accept credit card payments for advertising here on the GL through PayPal.  The buyer does not have to use PayPal, they have the option of choosing a credit card.  There's no monthly fee and I believe the transaction fee is around 3%.

There's a "Buy Now" button on the advertising information page that brings the buyer to a page to sign in to PayPal or 'click here to use your credit card'.

You could have that page bookmarked on your laptop and then fill in with the client's CC information for payment.

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel