Forums General Business Issues Checks and Credit Cards
  • Topic: Anyone Take Credit Cards Online?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 18, 2012 1:34 PM CDT
    • Anyone Take Credit Cards Online?

An update on Square use: I finally (hanging my head in shame when I see how long ago this was) connected my WiFi at my shop. I've been using Square almost exclusively but still had some connectivity problems and occasionally had to resort to the machine. Now that the WiFi is set up and my phone is connected to my own secure network, Square is going through in lightening speed. Even the swipe problems have gone away and it's registering on the first swipe. I think I will go to the end of the month and if I can use Square exclusively and not have to resort to the old machine I will cancel that service.

2.75% flat fee (comp to VISA AND MC), no additional fee for AMEX and DISC, no additional fees AT ALL (unlike bank programs), in your bank account the next day, not 2-3 days.

Happy Happy Happy! Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• September 18, 2012 2:14 PM CDT

catsmom said:

2.75% flat fee (comp to VISA AND MC), no additional fee for AMEX and DISC, no additional fees AT ALL (unlike bank programs), in your bank account the next day, not 2-3 days.

I don't take credit cards for grooming. I do accept them through PayPal for advertising payments. I never knew what was considered good or bad for charges. The PP is I think 2.9% flat fee. Its nice to hear your fee to know the PP isn't too out of line. :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• October 10, 2012 9:54 AM CDT

An update ~ I faxed in the notice to cancel my service and mailed back the cc machine yesterday! I am bank and bank fee free!! WHOO HOO!!

I've been using Square exclusively for a month now and it is working flawlessly. I looked at my August bill when I was still using the CC machine. Had I used Square exclusively I would have saved $136. That's $136 in MY pocket, not the bank's.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• February 16, 2013 8:50 AM CST

Another update on Square:

I reconciled all my taxes and totals for the year yesterday. I used a combination of a bank credit card service and Square last year. In total, had I used Square instead of the bank service on just the swipe fees I would have saved $126.98. Eh, right? $10 a month. No biggie. BUT....when I totaled up all the other credit card fees additionally charged (account fees, transmittal fees, equipment lease, compliance, statement fees, fees to read the statement, fees for lunch for the person who prepared the statement....) I would have had an additional $1022.02 for a total of $1149 in MY pocket, not the banks. And I didn't use the bank service at all 3rd quarter and sporadically used Square through the summer. It averages out to about $127 per month in savings.

For 2013 I should realize additional income of about $1600 over the course of a full year. Yep, I'll take it. That's a vacation. Money mouth

Charles Dickens

• February 16, 2013 1:04 PM CST

That's quite a savings!

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 17, 2013 8:54 AM CST

I'm looking into using a different method for credit and debit cards. I just added up all my fees for last year and it cost me just under $4,000 in fees last year. I just hate the fact most of my clients use cards. On a typical day we may run $500 to upwards of $1,000 a day in cards. (Fridays are a big day when people are paying for a weeks worth of daycare) Sometimes I put a sign on the door the machine is down and we can't process cards. Many people don't see it. We have to tell them when dropping dog off to please bring check or cash. You would not believe how many people show up and don't have any cash on them. Also with credit cards, when people sign they can leave a tip and we can go back and adjust it. Can't do that with debit cards. We have a sign on the counter about letting us know before we run the debit card if they want to leave a tip. After we run it it's to late. Many people are like I wanted to leave a tip and I have no money. I was at the grocery store one night and the whole card system was down. Many people just left their carts there cause they had no other way to pay. I try only to bring cash. I mainly use my card for online purchases for business. My current processing company charges a swipe fee, interest on all cards depending on which type is used, (the rewards cards are the biggie. That's how the companies give rewards by charging merchants more interest) plus all sorts of other fees. I even have to pay a fee to settle my account each night. It rots but so many people are dependant on cards. 

• February 17, 2013 9:14 AM CST

I am so glad I don't accept cards. I can get away with it because I have a small business with no retail.  I might get asked once a year if that if I take them. I did have to send someone to the bank the other day though. He was a new client, and didn't have enough cash on him. He didn't balk at going and getting money, which was good.

Barb

• February 17, 2013 9:15 AM CST

Same here Basset ~ my HH never has cash. He pays for coffee with a debit card. It's a NYC metro area thing! It's also a very young thing so if the rest of the country is saying "not here", just wait, it will come.

With Square it doesn't matter whether it's debit or credit. It's processed the smae way. There is a feature you can turn on where they can add a tip as they sign, debit or credit. (Debit is signed for just like a credit card, they don't punch in a PIN.) So your tip issue would be solved. I use it on my smartphone but you can also use it on a tablet. Plus, if you have different areas of payment or different people processing payments at the same time you can get multiple devices all tied to the same account.

Charles Dickens

• February 17, 2013 9:39 AM CST

Just an update.  I got the PayPal Here swipe...and no one had used it yet!  I have signs up but guess thats how it goes-you don't have it then they want it.  I had a PayPal account so everything is deposited there, transfers to other accounts are not charged.  PayPal is only 2.7% on any card swipes...you can key in or scan the card info if you can't use the swipe, then the fee does increase.  You can also "scan" (take a photo) of a check for deposit with no fee...and you can track cash payments if you want.  It only took a few minutes to it up..add sales tax, bus info, tip option, gps etc.

• February 17, 2013 9:11 PM CST

Catsmom, you can do debit cards on Square!? That was the one thing holding me back from it, it said nothing about debit on the website.
    • February 18, 2013 8:47 AM CST

You can take debit on any credit card machine as long as there is a VISA or MC logo on it. You can't take a bank's own debit card but I didn't think banks were still issuing those. I think all debit cards are now VISA or MC issued. The client just signs for it as if it were a credit. I never had the PIN machine and I've been processing debit cards for years. It's just that it cost me as much to process a debit as it did for a credit. With a PIN machine, debit is cheaper for the merchant.

Square also will do both but, again, the client signs for it as if it were a credit. It still costs 2.75% either way.

Charles Dickens

• February 18, 2013 9:53 AM CST

I've been using Square for almost 5 months now. The savings have been so great I was actually able to purchase an Ipad to use with it. On the Ipad Square actually becomes a cash register as well and will email or text receipts for those and checks as well. You are able to get reports, download them to your computer, AND offer loyalty incentives and promotions as well. Most of are clients use cards. It will run debit cards as credit, you NEVER see the entire number, and most of the time the email or phone number they use with the cc will pop up as where to send the receipt. On the register a tipping program pops up that offers them percentage tipping, or custom. Tips have been WAY up using this. I get an email almost instantly of the transaction, each email calculates my total for the day so far. It has ALWAYS been deposited into my bank account by the next morning by 6:00am....ALWAYS, even on Saturdays. I love this thing. My computer actually got zotzed last Friday by a power outage. But I was able to use my square perfectly all day with my wireless. Aside from the massive savings with this program there were a few hidden bonuses that we didn't foresee! We were concerned about not issueing receipts, so we got a receipt book in case someone wanted a hard copy receipt. In the last 5 months we have written ONE. Yup,....ONE. The receipt when texted will ALWAYS hit their phone within 3 seconds, which is pretty awesome when by the time you've finished telling them they will have a receipt in the next 3 seconds and about that time their phone vibrates. They're pretty impressed. If a client ALREADY has Square themselves on their phone it's even easier, they just type in the amount they owe you, and "Bump" the Ipad, and it's DONE. with you having done nothing at all! We did not mean to do this to go paperless, but that's exactly what has happened and both we and our clients LOVE it! I no longer have employees. We are true IC's now so everyone handles their own payments and such. Both the other girls have this on their phones and they love it as well as their clients. One also does alot of dog sitting/walking. She uses it much more mobile and has no problems with it. You can also itemize services on the register, such as; Grooming $40, Dematting time $10, Flea Dip $5, TeethBrushing $5, total $$60 and I think it's been better for our clients to SEE their charges on their receipts. I can't say enough good about it. I actually have a Vet in our area that is wanting to go totally paperless and is thrilled I am using it, they're going to try it as well. 

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein

• February 18, 2013 7:24 PM CST

A bank debit card without the Mastercard or Visa logo is a more secure card, even though some swiper machines won't take them. You can't sign for a 'real' debit card that is not backed up with a credit card company, so you have to use the 4-digit pin number.

At least, this is what I was told by the expert dude.

• February 18, 2013 8:45 PM CST

Wizardofpaws, remember we have national banks up here. I've never heard of signing a debit receipt, we use PINS and we've just started seeing credit card logos on debit cards
    • February 19, 2013 8:03 PM CST

I use my debit card as a credit card all the time. I never can remember that darn pin! LOL! That's weird that your banks up there haven't been putting cc logos on debit cards. I remember when I first opened an account at Wells Fargo when I was in high school back in the 90's I was issued a debit card with a visa logo on it. I've never had a debit card that didn't have that logo. . .

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel