Forums Off-Topic Random Thoughts
  • Topic: Fear mongering on the internet

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 17, 2012 8:03 PM CDT
    • Fear mongering on the internet

The internet is a powerful tool. It can be used for good or not so good intentions.

Today I saw a picture of a dog who had a reaction to a flea and tick product. There was a huge warning about how no one should ever use this product.

It bothered me because ANY dog/cat/person can have a reaction to something. I am one of the 3% of people that can not take sulpha drugs. I surely don't go around showing pictures of my reaction and warning people about using them.

That's all. It was just something that bugged me all day. :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• May 17, 2012 8:14 PM CDT

It's that way about EVERYTHING. Especially if it relates to some political agenda. I mean, think about how easy it would be to have some AR group showing a picture of different people mistreating their animals and then saying no one should ever be allowed to own pets? Oh, wait, they already use that tactic.

Same with "My groomer did XX bad.. don't trust groomers!"

• May 17, 2012 8:39 PM CDT

Hey, I'm part of that 3%!!! What an elite group we are! Wink Our systems must be special.

I can't stand fear mongering of any kind. It's manipulation at it's highest level. And it tends to prey on and take advantage of people in a weaker position: Lack of education, lower intelligence or economically depressed. If you pander to their fears, you can control them. The worst part of it is that it's usually based on erroneous information or an exaggeration of a minimal fact.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...
      Charles Dickens

• May 30, 2012 7:46 AM CDT

Warning people of the risks of what COULD happen to their pet when not using a veterinary prescribed flea/tick medication is why I appreciate those types of FB posts.   Owners need to know that the potential is there.

I used K9Advantage II on my 4# Pom and 13# puggle that I am fostering last month.  I purchased it from another groomer online and both of the dogs blew up in horrible burn-like skin irritation overnight, and lost their hair in those areas, which is still not starting to  grow back.    I've never had a reaction like that with my Pom before, so I have no idea what caused the problem, but I threw the remaining 3 applications away, not wanting to risk that type of reaction again.  I gave them both baths the next day, but the damage was done.  I am now afraid to use any topical on either of them for fear of a similar reaction.  Fleas are a real issue at the farm where I live with my Dad right now, but hopefully moving into town in the next week or so will help. 

• May 30, 2012 3:24 PM CDT

Unfortunately, 'could' is not stressed in most of the cases. Instead everyone is warned to never ever use that product because IT is bad.

There is a chance of a bad skin reaction any time something is applied.  We've all had a dog come up itchy after a grooming when no other dog is bothered by the particular products we use.  It happens.  It doesn't necessarily make the product bad.  It makes it bad for that animal.

You should see what happens to my skin when I use Irish Spring soap. (hmmm do they even make that anymore??)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel