Forums General Breed Styles Poodles, Bichons, Portuguese Water Dog
  • Topic: Poodle Bracelets

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 31, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
    • Poodle Bracelets

I comb everything down on the leg &, holding the hair firmly in one hand, I take my Bravura on 40 & I sweep down the foot to set the bottom bevel. Be careful not to angle the blade, it needs to be level with your hand Do Not scoop the hair out from under your hand, it will look like a peg. Setting the top I do the same thing except I use the same blade length I used for the body. Or you can take the 40 & set one side tight to the leg& edge it around using your hand as a guide. This takes practice, of course, but once you get it it takes less than a quarter of the time it usually takes to set bracelets. I set all my bevels (on poodles) that way
    • May 31, 2012 8:54 AM CDT
    • Poodle Bracelets

This was given to me by a groomer who believed firmly that every other groomer not working for her, no matter where they were, was her direct competition & I was sworn to secrecy. I didn't stay working there long.
    • January 9, 2016 10:06 PM CST
    • Poodle Bracelets

I NEED HELP WITH THIS!!!!  Mini poo...spent so long on this today!  No problem setting the bracelets; I use the above strategy.  I'm challenged rounding them.  For a while I was simply rounding them with my curved shears.  Today I tried doing it like tails:  1.  set per above  2.  brush  all to one side & round, brush all to other side & round (do this 4 times).  It took forever & I was not pleased.  HEEELLLLP!

• January 10, 2016 9:40 AM CST
    • Poodle Bracelets

I have never been good at bracelets!  I think they really need a lot of length to be able to get them round. Most of the dogs I've done them on just can't carry that much coat without it ending up matted.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• January 10, 2016 1:41 PM CST
    • Poodle Bracelets

I really wasn't challenged doing bracelets on my st poo...but my husband really didn't like it, as everyone already says "is she friendly, can I pet her" and she's A BOY!!!  

I think you must be right:  it's because they are so small...and in this case "squished" because, believe it or not, they are set above "hi waders" !!!

• January 11, 2016 2:21 PM CST
    • Poodle Bracelets

Once they're set, there shouldn't be that much rounding to do. I just try to walk all around the dog, looking at the bracelet from every angle, and snip here and there at any sharp or pointed edges. And keep combing them up and shaking them while you're at it.

• January 11, 2016 6:45 PM CST
    • Poodle Bracelets

Of course the owner that wants high waders also wants bracelets...... I bet she is really short legged too?  :)

They always want bracelets on short legged dogs...... lol

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• January 11, 2016 10:32 PM CST
    • Poodle Bracelets

I feel like such a complainer...was doing better with them last summer with 3mm body. With the winter clip of 10mm it's been harder (both squished & thickr core). Since I posted I've been thinking to trying to focus like Amysuz, thank you.  I wish I could bail due to matting like Barb said, but this client has had her female clipped like this "cause she's a girl" for 11 yrs. The boy is easy, no bracelets "cause he's a boy". Had shared the client when her long-time groomr was ill & now she's, sadly, been forced to retire & I feel compelled to step up!

• January 12, 2016 7:07 AM CST
    • Poodle Bracelets

Well you can look at it this way, if she's continued to use you, you must be doing them in a way that is making her happy. That's the most important part. :)

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel