Forums Misc Topics Pet Owners: Ask The Groomer
  • Topic: 1'st groom

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • The following users say thanks to AmySuz for this useful post:
    • June 22, 2012 9:27 PM CDT
    • 1'st groom

Yes, 12 weeks is a good age to start them with an introduction to grooming. Leaving it till later (16 weeks+) risks them not being within the socialization window.

"When people talk about puppy socialization they are generally referring to the first 16 weeks of a dog's life. This is the window of time in our puppy's lives that determines who they will become as adult dogs.

The temperament, character and behavior habits of your puppy are developed during this socialization period - and will last a lifetime. It affects how your puppy will relate to his family, strangers, animals and the environment in which he lives." This includes grooming. It's much easier for your pup to accept and enjoy being bathed and groomed if you start him early. Your groomer will thank you as well. :)

• June 22, 2012 9:40 PM CDT
    • 1'st groom

At the pet store all the puppies are introduced to bathing and hv drying pretty quickly.  At 12 - 14 weeks the long haired kids start to look a bit "hairy" and I give them a quick intro groom.  I'm finding that the ones that had that quick intro before they found their forever home are much better for grooming when their parents bring them in for their official "first puppy groom" special.

Meaning I agree, an intro before 16 weeks is a good idea. Keep in mind, your puppy might not get all the way done the first time.  Most groomers would prefer to give an intro to the puppy and help it get used to the tools and sounds and not unecessarily stress it out to get the full beauty treatment.  A little bit the first time or two or three is better than grooming a dog that hates the process for the next 10 + years.

• June 23, 2012 5:18 AM CDT
    • 1'st groom

I was told that too, 12-16 weeks. One of the reasons being, vaccines and better immunity. I get that, but wouldn't a puppy be more likely to pick something up at the vets than at a grooming salon? In the "old" days I remember 6wk. old poodle pups coming in for feet, face and tail ring. Whats your take on a young one in for just nails or eye corners? I get asked that  and am not 100% sure. I have had owners stay in reception, hold puppy, don't let run around on the floor and just trim nails.

• June 23, 2012 6:26 AM CDT
    • 1'st groom

I like to start them the younger the better. I always tell owners to check with their Vet and get his/her opinion on when they have had enough vaccinations to be safe.
      Young puppies usually don't get a full hair cut the first few times.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel