Forums General Groomer Health and Safety Zoonotic Diseases and Parasites
  • Topic: Lepto

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 8, 2012 8:06 PM CDT
    • Lepto

Does anyone have any experience with Leptospirosis?  The vet's think one of my dogs has it.  I am waiting on results from a titer test while trying to save her.  Liver/kidneys are not functioning well.  She was vaccinated but I guess there a several strains.  I am hoping the rest of us who have been exposed won't get it... Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

• July 8, 2012 8:34 PM CDT
    • Lepto

One of the Vet clinics around here sent a letter out to all their patients warning about a new ? strain of Lepto.  She is supposed to bring it in for me to see sometime. It was the first I had heard of it and have not read anything else either.  I know Lepto is in the usual vaccinations.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 9, 2012 5:55 AM CDT
    • Lepto

There are indeed many strains of lepto, and only the 2-3 most common are usually put in the vaccine, from what I recall reading a couple of years ago.

One of my friends who is a vet caught lepto from a cow she was treating- it's a disease you never want to catch. She was horribly ill for several months, and just recently had to have a portion of one kidney removed, as the dead tissue was interfering with the remaining function of that kidney.

Best of luck for your dogs recovery.

• July 12, 2012 6:47 PM CDT
    • Lepto

Unfortunately we lost the dog, her kidneys failed.  The titer was negative so I'm not sure what made her ill, but happy I don't have to worry about everyone else catching it.  I did lots of research and it looks like quite a nasty disease.  A reminder to practice good hygiene.

• July 14, 2012 7:29 AM CDT
    • Lepto

I'm so sorry you lost her. :(

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 14, 2012 8:44 AM CDT
    • Lepto

Thank you.  I talked to the vet yesterday and she still thinks it was some kind of bacteria/organism since it affected the liver and kidneys.  It could have been a tick borne disease also.  I guess we will never know.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel